“Peaceful place and lovely fluffy bed”

Aleenta Hua Hin Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 144 Hotels in Hua Hin
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Just came back from Aleenta HuaHin. I am quite enjoy the hotel, location and services specially the fluffy bed and pillow but I couldn't sleep well because of the curtain was not in the right place and not cover our room well so I felt asleep though the night awared that people outside will look thought it or stare at me when I slept. By the way I love ABF and overall.

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed 25 July 2011

After a backpacking tour through Thailand this hotel was pure, romantic luxury! The staff are fantastic and so friendly and the setting is breathtaking. Everything in the resort does cost more than the usual in Thailand but that is expected. However, it is not overpriced and still cheaper than western prices. There are a few small 'restaurants' nearby which serve very cheap Thai food and there is even an excellent Thai massage place just up the road from the resort. The Spa at the resort is very good though! Food is fantastic and private plunge pool overlooking the sea is heavenly! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frankfurt_83
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My husband and I went here for a long weekend looking for some relaxation which it definitely provided. The hotel was on the beach unlike many other resorts there, although the beach was not a private one and hence a bit dirty and with a lot of dogs wandering inside the resort as well.
The rooms were big and spacious with an i-pod dock, books and games provided in the room which was a good concept. However, there is no TV in the room for all those who might need that in the room, it didnt really bother us though. We thought the rooms did not have too much privacy and we even saw a man peeping in another guest room at night which didnt seem too safe. Also, our room did not have a plunge pool as shown in all the pics on the website and the swimming pool was extremely tiny.
The service was alright and we even got a complimentary shoulder massage which was quite nice.
The food was quite pathetic. Even the thai dishes were not prepared well. I would recommend going to the nearby restaurants which have much better thai food.
Overall, the resort is good if you are looking for some peace and tranquility but not if you are looking for some nightlife or activity.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charuag
Reviewed 21 May 2011

The resort is a 3 hour drive from Bangkok airport, so we booked transport with the resort. The driver was 90 minutes late. We were harassed constantly by Thai military to vacate the arrival area. We had nowhere to go, short of rebooking our own transport. It took 2 international calls to the agent to resolve the issue. This was an extremely bad first impression that had to be reported. Investigation by the resort manager revealed that an administrative error was the cause. To his credit, the driver was cheerful, helpful and attentive.

The Pool Suites are stunning - right on the beach front with a small private pool. The decor, ambiance and earthy charm of the place did set the pace for a relaxing stay.

The beach was also uncrowded and clean.

The restaurant has some creative and tasty food. Breakfast was a daily treat. Make sure daily breakfast is part of your booking. Breakfast can be arranged at the room easily. Since we had prepaid, the staff brought our choice of breakfast to us, to an outdoor table on the lawn beside the beach. This was breathtaking.

Unfortunately the stay had significant problems with service.

The private pool did not function for 3 days in 5, in spite of repeatedly reporting the issue to reception. This led to the pool becoming green or cloudy - we chose to swim in the sea instead on those occasions. We later found out that the sea is prone to large jellyfish...

Room air-conditioning broke down twice in a single night again requiring multiple calls to reception.

Restaurant service is quirky - make sure you get what you ask for. Don't settle for what the staff brings. We had to get the staff to fix an order 4 times in succession before we received what we had ordered. On another occasion we were served something we hadn't ordered because what we had ordered was out of stock.

There is language difficulties with staff. On one occasion, room service needed to clean the room, but did not pay heed to our repeated response "Do not come in.", which led to an embarrassing moment. The manager informed us later that the stylised wooden frog carving on the bedside is the "do not disturb" indicator when left outside the door. If we had only known...

We kept track of all of our troubles and presented them to the manager - who was both apologetic and accomodating.

The resort offers bicycles to have a look around the surrounds, but scooters can be hired easliy and cheaply, which allows travel further afield. For future reference, this would be my preferred option.

All up it was a good stay, but we'd force the resort to confirm every last detail if we were to stay again.

Room Tip: Book through an agent to get a better rate.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mmacrobert
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stayed at the Aleenta for 10 nights over new year. The hotel and setting was exactly what we were looking for. Perfect relaxation....
The staff are excellent and have a real personal touch.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kirkycrfc
Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed at Aleenta Pran Buri in Feb last year for our 10th wedding anniversary and decided to return again this year. We made the booking and received confirmation but a couple of weeks later we were told the hotel was booked for a wedding so we couldnt have the room type we booked for the first 3 days. This was ok and we agreed to stay in a different room and be moved following the wedding's departure. 3 weeks before our holiday we were contacted again to be told that the wedding party had fully booked the hotel and we couldnt stay there for the first 3 nights at all! We were offered another hotel 30 miles away and it was too late to change our plans or look for somewhere else to stay so we accepted. Suffice to say the collection from the airport was smoothly done and we enjoyed the 3 nights in the alternative hotel - Yaiya (will write a review of it when I get chance).
We were told to be ready to be taken to Aleenta at 1pm on the 3rd day and we were collected and driven there on time. However when we arrived, the wedding party were milling around and it became clear immidiately that our room was not ready as the guests occupying it were still checking out. When we were told our room number, I queried it as I had specifically requested the same room as we stayed in last year and the one we were given was next door. I pointed this out and was told we could have the room we wanted but we would have to wait 30 minutes for the room to be cleaned, which we agreed to.
The remainder of our stay was lovely... the rooms are small and not much storage space but the setting on the beachfront is so lovely that it more than makes up for it. Room service breakfast was always delivered promptly to the table in front of our room and although not quite as nice as last year (less choice, miniscule glasses of juice) it was delicious.
When we came to check out I went to reception to query our bill as I had spoken to SLH.com about the issues with my booking and they said that they thought we shouldnt have to pay for the 3 night stay in Yaiya Hotel and I had emailed Aleenta reservations and stated this clearly yet it was still on the bill. I spoke to the receptionist but she was not able to do anything about this so she spoke to head office on the phone and said someone would come to talk to me. A little while later an English guy appeared and introduced himself as part of the Aleenta team and asked my about my issues. I explained and said that despite having a lovely stay, I did not think that I should have to pay for their mistake. He agreed to cover the cost of the Yaiya hotel and it was deducted from our bill straight away without any fuss which I was happy about.
Despite the issues with the booking and the fallout from it, we had a lovely second stay at Aleenta. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get away from a busy life, relax and do nothing but walk up and down a beautiful beach and read books and sip long island iced teas and fall asleep to the sound of the sea. The rooms are fairly basic but clean and have everything you need and the food is great, allbeit a little pricey. We ate out most nights at the Thai restaurant a just past the Maroc hotel, where 4 dishes with rice and 2 large beers costs about £10.
We are planning to go back next year.

Room Tip: pool suites on the beach are the best
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VikkiCh
Reviewed 10 March 2011

The concept is attractive (small boutique hotel with an eco-friendly touch and a different vision of luxury) but the place is very far from meeting expectations. Pictures on the website are deceiving. The Frangipani Wing is not located in the same compound as the restaurant and the swimming-pool (5-10 min walk or shuttle). Rooms are very close to each other, people swim almost under your feet when you sit on the terrace, you can hear the music next door and the air-con is very noisy. You cannot open the upper windows to enjoy the ocean breeze. The bathroom is sky-open, which is nice but attracts mosquitoes. There are many deficiencies that are not important per se but unacceptable in such an expensive hotel (like stained towels, insect and old rind of cheese in salad, etc). The place is quite far from Hua Hin, but not secluded either (surrounded by other luxury resorts). It was impossible to find a taxi in Hua Hin who knew how to get there, althought I had directions in thai and a map. I also had a problem with booking, they tried to change a room already confirmed and paid, saying it was not available.
On the positive side, the beach is clean and deserted, the restaurant is not too bad and there are many others nearby, most of the staff is really nice, and there are plenty of good ideas and charming details (like music instead of TV, newspaper brought to your room in the morning, books, fine cotton pyjamas..). Maybe the place will improve with time, but it should be cheaper because for now it’s not at all what you can expect for the price.
NB : I post this review more than 6 months later because I stayed just one night and thought maybe I was unlucky, but now I realize it might be helpful anyway.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo