“Not so comfortable”

Ranked #2 of 135 Hotels in Hua Hin
Columbia, Missouri
“Not so comfortable”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I stayed in a standard Silksand room for two nights in May 2012. I took the 8:05 train from Bangkok (for 382 baht) and arrived Hua Hin at 11:55. Right off the train, I hired a motorbike taxi for 50 baht to take me to the hotel, but could have walked it if I knew the route. Two groups, including me, arrived at the hotel a little after 12:00. We were told our rooms were not yet ready and that we should wait for around one hour until they would be ready. Check in time is 2:00, so that was reasonable. My room wasn’t ready until exactly 2:00, but in the meantime, they did well by me having an appetizer and a couple beers at the Oceanside Restaurant for >500 baht. The property is split on both sides of Naeb Kaehat Road, with the eastern side adjacent to the beach. Both sides have a pool: a small infinity pool beachside and a very nice standard pool twice the size of the infinity pool on the inland side. Guest rooms, of which there are only 59, are on both sides. The grounds are well maintained and the staff are really wonderful. There was an unlimited supply of genuine smiles and wais from all staff members. Their English skills are pretty good; there was never anything close to a communication problem. As is the Thai way, I felt warmly welcomed and respected. The hotel has a couple bikes and small collection of DVDs you can check out for free. Free breakfast and wifi, too. If you call them from the train station they will come get you, and on departure they will take you there. There is a private van service a few blocks south of the resort that will take you to Victory Monument in Bangkok for 180 baht, leaving every 30 minutes beginning at 4:00 a.m. My van sat around for an extra 30 minutes to wait for more passengers and got to Bangkok in 3 hours. The Putahracsa Hotel is close to downtown Hua Hin, so everything is within walking distance. I timed my walk to the night market at exactly 12 minutes.

The beach at the resort is the same as throughout the area; every time I looked at it, it seemed to be at low tide with extensive areas of sand exposed and with algae. It smelled fishier than any other beach I’ve visited, but then Hua Hin is a fishing village. Instead of the beautiful blue water of the Andaman Sea, the Gulf of Thailand water appears turbid, probably partially from siltation from the rivers emptying into it, including the Chao Praya. I wouldn’t come to Hua Hin for the beach.

Upon entering my room, I was pleasantly surprised by the traditional Thai feel mixed with a contemporary look. The shower was nice with two fixtures: one shower head on a removable flexible hose, and another rain shower head. Another reviewer mentioned that the bed needed updating, with which I agree. The metalwork inside the mattress makes popping sounds when you lie down. And I know why (keep reading). My only complaint is a big one for me: There is no desk. I had to put my laptop on the folding luggage rack while I sat on the hard tile floor to work on the computer. This was very uncomfortable and inexcusable for what purports to be a high end establishment. There is only the bed, a TV cabinet, and an oversized wicker chair with raised rim and a very thin foam pad that does little to insulate your tush from the wicker (see pictures). You can’t sit on the wicker with your legs hanging over the edge because the raised rim bites into your hamstrings, although it looks very pretty. So, what is the alternative for seating? Sitting on the bed, which is why it is worn out! The far side of the bed adjacent to the sliding glass door is in good condition. Therefore, the only way to be comfortable in the room is to lie flat, but only on the window side of the bed, although you still can’t work on the laptop comfortably. All this could be easily remedied by burning the wicker and installing either a comfortable chair or desk/chair in its place. Maybe the higher end rooms don't have this problem. Anyway, I won’t be back to this hotel for that reason alone. Too bad, because I really loved the hospitality.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank AjarnBob
Putahracsa, General Manager at Putahracsa Hua Hin, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Putahracsa Resort in Hua Hin.

We greatly appreciate your comments on the property and the team members.

Like adaptors, transformers and other items individually preferred Putahracsa offers working tables and chairs, or a folding table on request.
This is mentioned in the compendium, as well as on a note next to the telephone.

We regret you might not have seen this and hope this does not keep you from enjoying Putahracsa Hotel's hospitality once more.

We are looking forward to welcoming you, any friends or family members back,

warm regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stay at the Putahrasca for 5 days in May the weather was extremely hot we were lucky as we were upgraded to an Ocean Villa with jacuzzi, which made life very comfortable. Beautiful room, fantastic room staff only too willing to assist, bed was great nice and comfortable, Had two meals at the Ocean view restaurant. First meal was fine second meal was a Thai Banquet far to hot for Western Taste, had cocktails at the Ocean bar they where fantastic.the negative was the size and coolness of the fridge being Aussies we don't do hot beer or wine, we just called room service and asked for ice this solved that problem, Hotel is a little far from Center of Hua Hin OK going because of free Tuk Tuk but a pain at night we had to walk back to hotel a couple of times in early hours of the morning. Would I recommend this hotel Yes Yes Yes

Room Tip: We stayed Ocean side
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Putahracsa, General Manager at Putahracsa Hua Hin, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your comments.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward seeing you return.

Best regards
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My two nights stayed at the hotel didn't quite went well. On the plus side, the staff were very helpful from security guards to front desk receptionists to bell boys. The food at both restaurants were quite good, even for Thais. The room were clean and nicely laid out and design But it was rather small relative to famous brand name five star hotels we normaly had. Also,the mattresses that my family had in room 108 and 109 were old and they weren't longer support the weigh of Two adults on a king size bed in room 109 and my two teenage kids in twin beds in room 108. Furthermore, the hot water in both rooms for shower was running on and off whenever we took shower either day or night. Lastly, one of the staff at the breakfast restaurant forgot our noodle soup orders though the restaurant was not full. Not sure what happened there and we left without asking for our food. We hope the hotel management will fix the above very soon so that many of us could continue enjoying our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pramote S
Putahracsa, General Manager at Putahracsa Hua Hin, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear guest,

thank you for taking your valuable time to write a review about Putahracsa Resort.
I apologize about the noodle soup and will look into the service side at the restaurant.

We are looking forward welcoming you back to Putahracsa resort at the next opportunity and show you that this was an exception to the rule.

With my best regards
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I am very impressed with this hotel starting from arriving at the hotel. The hotel staff came to welcome at the car and got my name on his list. Check in fast and the room is very good and accessible with the pool. Very excellent service and seemed to be 6 star hotel. The staff are very helpful. Breakfast is good and we can borrow magazines, books and DVD movies from the hotel. Free wi fi internet. I will go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Khemjira P
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was the first time to go to Hua Hin and stay in a hotel for 5 consecutive nights . Although it is a not a big one, you can't expect too much, but their staff are very very helpful to offer help at any time & provide the requested details information & make some recommendations. They are very kind & friendly that make you feel so warm. It has been a wonderful stay ever. I highly recommend this hotel to all Hua Hin visitors. Also, I would like to say thank you especially to Villa Host: Khun Aun & Bellman: Khun Noom.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests,

thank you for giving us your comments on trip advisor, especially the mention of our valued team members is very much appreciated.

We are looking forward welcoming you back to Putahracsa Resort in the near future

Schwyz, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I totally agree and confirm the positive reviews of this hotel. Staff is friendly, and committed to please, but..! The facilities are good and it is a gem, but..! Would I come back? Probably, but..! The lack of knowledge of the English language with the waiting, bar and pool staff, caused on average two communication problems a day. Result: wrong drinks, plates, bills, etc. The problem is a lack of presence, management, visibility and guidance of the F&B manager. The staff is willing and committed. One particular incident: a guest joins breakfast after a run and enters completely wet and transpiring heavily, … dripping into the food! I suggested the guest to take a shower and come back, because nobody acted other then being disgusted. The staff is too friendly to act in a situation like this. I acted after suggesting the senior waitress (Manager?) to do something, she did not and will not with her cultural background. She could not contact a manager to support her and assume the responsibility. She did however take away the plates with the extra "seasoning". We (11 rooms) also shared a common discomfort, because we could not mix hot and cold water in the shower. It was either boiling hot, or freezing cold. Maintenance was unable to fix it. One of the ladies was summoned to pay $25 (THB 1,000) for washing a towel with some blood on it. The laundry outside charged $0,10 for washing the towel. I also agree with the comment that a mix of types of guests could be irritating/annoying. We had the same experience. Overall we had a pleasant and relaxing stay despite the incidents. Like I said: we would probably come back and we hope that these issues will be solved. It would be a shame if a gem like this would slide down because of management issues. To finish off: the bakery is a jewel. The fresh (french) bread, croissants, buns, pastries, etc. they produce for breakfast every morning are simply heavenly. Visit it also for an excellent Illy coffee and Mövenpick ice-cream and take a pastry with your coffee or tea (in the afternoon). A special tribute to the Tuk-Tuk staff, who took (raced) us to every location with a smile.

Room Tip: Choose the beach room/condos/villas.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed in a Silksand room for two weeks in February - the first time in Thailand for us. The hotel was excellent and great for just lounging around and relaxing. The staff were fantasic - nothing was too much trouble, The restaurant & bar was very good, however with so many bars & restaurants in walking distance, we only ate there twice. Breakfast was superb - so much choice of European & Thai dishes and if that wasn't enough, there was the Patisserie for the cakes & afternoon tea. The only downside was the bathroom layout - having to climb into the bath to use the shower. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple