“A GREAT smaller family-oriented beach front property & a great value!”

Anantasila Villa by the Sea, Hua Hin
Ranked #6 of 135 Hotels in Hua Hin
Bangkok
“A GREAT smaller family-oriented beach front property & a great value!”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This is a review of my three (3) night stay starting Sunday, 25SEP11 stay at the Anantasila in Hua-Hin.

==> Hotel/Location:
The Anantasila is a smaller full-service hotel, with about 60+/- total rooms but with a multitude of different configurations from the standard 1-person/2-person rooms, to suites of various sizes, to villas and up to fully-furnished apartments.

The hotel itself is on the southern end of Hua Hin town proper, away from the main area right at Takib Bay. It’s directly on the beach with immediate beachfront access. The hotel is on a small side-street and shares the street with only a few private residences and one small hotel/restaurant directly across the street. As such, the hotel is very quite with little to no vehicle traffic or foot traffic.

The hotel complex is essentially made up of three buildings. One building is on each side of the open air, uncovered pool that runs perpendicular to the beach with either pool or ocean views, and the third building is at the far northern edge of the property and is their ‘garden’ wing, with no beach views.

The property is small when compared to some of the other Hua Hin resorts, but I found the staff the guest ratio to be excellent and size made getting around; from room to pool and to beach to be very quick and easy.

==> Lobby/Check-in:
I drove to the Anantasila from Bangkok—about a 2:30 drive—and upon arrival checked into my basic garden view room. I had contacted the hotel directly and negotiated a special rate for airline personnel.

Our check-in was swift and efficient. We were given a brief overview of the hotel property, key times (like check-out time, pool close times, and dining room hours) and given our room key.

==> My Room:
My room, a first-floor garden-wing room was very nice. You enter the room via a lockable sliding glass door. Inside were two twin beds, a new model flat screen TV with full multi-language programming, compact refrigerator with two bottles of complimentary water and a self-serve coffee & tea set. There was also a large closet with two terry-cloth bath robes.

Outside the room was a small sitting table with chairs, so if you wanted to read outside or just enjoy the sunshine you can do so.

The room is climate controlled via an air-conditioner unit (the compressor is outside of the room and cannot be seen or heard) and we had no issues regulating the rooms’ temperature.

==> Bathroom:
The bathroom was very spacious and done with an all-tile floor. The toilet is sectioned off from the rest of the shower-only area with a glass-block wall. The shower was excellent with very hot water, strong pressure and first rate fixtures.

The area outside of the bathroom has a sink with sit-down vanity area, full lit mirror, hairdryer, shampoos, conditioners, and bath gels.

Everything in my room and bathroom were properly cleaned and well maintained.

==> Hotel facilities and Amenities:
The nicest thing about this hotel is the pool. It’s simply gorgeous but still very useable. It’s long at 25ms so you can use it to do lap-swimming for exercise if you wish. The kids pool is attached so your kids are always within eyesight.

Immediately adjacent to the pool is the mini-golf course and just beyond is the beach with the hotels own sun deck loungers and the beach-front bar and restaurant.

The hotel has property-wide wi-fi so you can use any wi-fi equipped device anywhere on the property.

==> SUMMARY:
What do I like about the Anantasila? A few things.

It’s a smaller property, so you’re not crowded, the staff-to-guest ratio is good and despite being a smaller property it has all the amenities you’d want or expect.

The staff is just fabulous. They are there to help you have a good time. Have a question? They’ll get an answer. Need something? They’ll try their best to get it for you.

The value. Granted, I was on a specially negotiated rate, but for what I paid, and what I received, it was an excellent value in all respects.

==> RATINGS:
OVERALL: 5/5: A solid smaller property and everything there 'fits' the hotels' size and characteristic

Service: 5/5: One of the hotels strong points. While staff may not be something that you can quantify, when the service is good, or great it just makes the experience even better. Staff here are first rate.

Value: 5/5: You can't beat this place in terms of value-- my room was a bargain and everything in my room was near spotlessly clean and in excellent repair.

Sleep Quality: 5/5: Beds were more than comfy and I slept well every night.

Cleanliness: 5/5: My room, bathroom, and all guest areas were clean, in good repair and I could see daily attention to detail in this regard.

Location: 4/5: A bit away from the noise and congestion of the center of Hua Hin, but also not so far away as to be ‘remote’. Also the hotel is right ON the beach itself, so beach access is literally only steps away.

Rooms: 4/5: Only minor deductions for my room decor being a bit "dated" but this is not to say or imply unclean or not working-- only that the room could use a refresh.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GOPBI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We have stayed at the Anantasila many times for longer weekends but our last stay was longer than expected because we couldn't return to Bangkok due to flood situation, and it turned out to be the best stay so far. It is a great location for people who seek a more quite place and at the same time want to explore activities beyond typical beach holiday. There is a fantastic horse riding school just 5 mins away (run be Emma), you can also easily drive to the national park or a vineyard from there, which are not too far. Room 305B where we always stayed is the best room in the hotel. Staff is very friendly and the kitchen serves good Thai and international food.

Room Tip: Ask for 305B if your travel with kids. It consists of 2 bedrooms, large kitchen and has the best ter...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Piotr L
Reviewed 3 November 2011

My wife and I live in Bangkok, and come to Hua Hin for long weekends several times a year. Anantasila became our first choice after we got a dog, primarily because it's one of the few hotels which allows (small) dogs, but even without that it would still be our first choice. The rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable, the garden is lovely and well-attended, and there is no difficulty finding a place at the pool or the beach. (You may not be able to find a room right now because there are so many Bangkokians getting away from the flood.)

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ajarntham
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Our stay here was fantastic! Right at the secluded beach at Khao Takiab. We walked our golfbags to the nearest course over the beach, haha.
Food and rooms are great but the service tops it all. In one word fantastic!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Etbohm
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The hotel is located behind the "monkey hill" and offers free shuttle to the hill, the beach is nice and wide, the restaurant very lovely, service is excellent, staff very friendly, the pool not so big but sufficient enough, rooms nice and clean, price is really fair, the only negative point is the fact that there is no telephones in the room which makes a bit complicated to order some food to your room especially if you stay in the "garden area", this is a bit strange,
otherwise we can highly recommend it for couples and families.

Room Tip: if you book through
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stay a week in the Anantasila by the sea. The location is a bit outside Hua Hin. But actually very funny to go to the center. First the hotel driver drove us for free to the busstation. From the busstation we took a small buss( a pickup truck) together with locals to the center, . Really nice. A tuk-tuk taxi back to the hotel was about 150-200 bath, really cheap.
The Anantasila is not quite new, this is not difficult to see. The rooms seems a bit old, but ok. My children and my wife think this hotel is among the three best hotels we ever stayed in. There is many reasons for that. The location down by the huge sandy beach is very good. The pool is very good, big enough for making laps. But the best part is the people working there. The service was extreemly good, they really cared about us having a nice stay. Even though breakfast not was included, the breakfast was good and cheap.
My wife loved the cheap thai massage provided at the hotel, the price was 300 bath.
On the negative side I think the beds was a bit hard,and the aircon a bit noisy. Still i recommend this place. If we come back to Hua Hin, Anantasila is our number one choise without a doubt.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank StavangerKris
Bangkok
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This was my second visit to Anantasila Resort, and I went for a 3 day/2 night stay. Upon check-in, I was upgraded to a penthouse suite (again), as it was my birthday - and the suite I had was amazing - again!! However, my friend and her little boy had booked a "Garden room" (cheapest rooms at the resort, I think), but when they were shown to their room, it was actually located in the car park of the hotel, not in a garden at all. It looked ramshackle, to be honest, and was certainly not in a garden setting. My friend said that she was unwilling to stay in what was in actual fact not a Garden room, but a Car Park room. Eventually, the front desk clerk agreed to upgrade her to a room two grades higher (all rooms in the next category up were apparently fully booked), but only if my friend paid 1000 baht extra per night (and they threw in free breakfasts for them too, for the duration of our stay). We did have a wonderful time, as it is a lovely resort, and for the most part staff are very helpful and accommodating. The food at the resort's restaurant is very good, and the cocktails are pretty good too.

A worrying downpoint, however, is that my boyfriend cut his toe quite badly on a floor tile in the swimming pool. And then, the next day, my friend's little boy cut his toe on a floor tile in the pool too. Staff at the front desk were good at providing iodine solution and plasters, however we found it very concerning that two of our party had sustained cut toes from tiles in the pool, during just a 3 day visit. Upon checking out, I expressed my concern to a member of the front desk team, and asked that they repair/replace the broken tiles for the sake of future guests, especially children, and she said she would pass on my concerns to a manager. We'll have to see if anything is done about the tiles...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
kristofVDH, Manager at Anantasila Villa by the Sea, Hua Hin, responded to this review, 13 August 2011
Please accept our sincere apologies for the incidents from the swimming pool. We wish to advise you that we have fixed the tiles in our swimming pool. We thank you for taking your time to write a review. Your feed back will assist us in improving our service & facilities for our guests.

It was, again, a pleasure to have you as our guests. On behalf on Anantasila team, we thank you for your collaboration and hope to see you again on your next visit to Hua Hin.