“Good Value for Money”
Review of Piman Garden Hotel

Piman Garden Hotel
Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Khon Kaen
Reviewed 18 January 2011

The room is spacious and housekeeping is excellent. Although high speed internet is available, my experience during our stay, the Internet connection is practically non-existent. Reception staff is helpful. Would definitely return. However, they need to fix the internet connection.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 January 2011

I've stayed at this place four times in total now, but this will be my last. The hotel is in a good spot and has nicely furnished and laid out rooms. In fact I was told they purchased the furniture from a top end hotel that was re-furbishing, so that seems to explain the surprisingly nice furniture. That's about where the nice surprises end. The wifi service which is quite important for a hotel that appears to be targeting business travelers is woeful. I waited all morning to be able to get online to do some work and was always told that they were checking it and that it would be another 20 minutes. Around lunch time it started working, so I asked if I could check out late so I could get some work done. Yes, I could, but only after paying more than 50% of an extra nights charge. This just feels stingy to me. The service overall is not all that helpful. I asked to rent a motorbike at one point and it took an hour instead of the standard 20 minutes quoted to arrive. The laundry service was also closed for two days apparently, so I wouldn't be able to get any clothes cleaned.

It's actually a real shame this place isn't better. The rooms are good, but the lack of the other things that you expect in a hotel, including a decent breakfast are just letting this place down.

I stayed here after they first opened and three times since. The first couple of visits I put it down to teething problems, but I don't think this could be used as an excuse any more.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 December 2010

It is an attractive place around a small garden and isolated from street noise. The rooms made available to me started at 850 baht - 200 baht more than Lonely Planet quotes. (Perhaps as a result of LP rating it as their pick.) The room was nice, but when the guy in the next room took a shower, crumpled up his newspaper or cleared his throat, it sounded like he was in my room. The included breakfast was horrible - cold and meagre. The wifi was intermittent. For 650 I would recommend it, but it is just a bit overpriced with good nearby alternatives. A swimming pool would make it worth the price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I have to agree with the more positive reviews for Piman Garden Hotel, the negative ones I find somewhat alien. I stayed for 4 days, pre-booked at B1000 per night, I was more than satisfied with my choice and having previously stayed at Bussakarum Hotel and Kaen Inn (I would recommend both) I found this place an upward notch. I had a room on the 1st. floor, very spacious, balcony, etc., very comfortable with good choices on TV and fast Wi-Fi. The price included breakfast at an adjoining restaurant with was minimal but I expect that in all non-tourist orientated Thai hotels. I was also pleased with the airport pick up service.
I was pleased with my choice and will go again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I had a confirmed reservation for 4 days here in a deluxe room. This is a nice bit of business for Khon Kaen as most people only stay a night or two and most do not want to spend money. But, upon arrival, I found out they had given away my room. Without any apology, they offered me a smaller room for the night. I showed them my confirmed reservation and they then changed their story to the concept that someone else overstayed and thats why my room was not available. I speak some Thai and I travel here frequently. The fact is that there was a short term demand for hotel space and they thought they could pull a switch. I believe this place discrimates agains foreigners. Stay elsewhere. The location is also not very central and there are a lot of mosquitos in the "garden".

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
khonkaenhotel, Owner at Piman Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

I was shocked to read your review, having previously never received so much negativity about my hotel. We constantly strive to improve our business and learn from our mistakes but I feel bound to respond to this unfounded review. If my staff made a mistake with your booking I apologise but the hotel policy is to upgrade for free not downgrade. Up grading is nearly always possible because as you stated ' people dont want to spend a lot of money' and if any of our rooms are available it will be the more expensive President Rooms.
There may well have been a large demand on the particular day you came to check in but please refer to previous paragraph. The statement 'I believe this place discrimates against foreigners' is totally unfounded. We have been open for two years and never have we been accused of racism and I would request that you retract that statement.
The mosquito problem you refer to I find hard to believe. We accept there is mosquitos in Thailand thats why we regularly use a non toxic smoke to remove the unwanted pests. If given time to ponder your comments I am sure there may be something that upset you but I cannot believe it was what you wrote. If you wish to talk to me personally use the contact form on the website and I will arrange a time to call you
Chan

Reviewed 24 May 2010

We booked the Piman Garden in advance based on reviews from Tripadvisor, but were a little disappointed overall due a few small but key points, such as being woken at 7am by cleaning staff and the hot water being very intermittent in the shower.

LOCATION: The location is very convenient, central to good street food and restaurants and just down the right from the market.

TYPE OF ROOM: Double room – 800b per night. The room is a great size, there is plenty of space and the air-con works well.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: The bathroom was quite old, but on the upside it had plenty of space and also had a bath and shower.
The shower pressure was poor and the hot water was very intermittent.

CLEANLINESS: The room was clean and large with plenty of space for luggage.

CLOSET SPACE: There was a large closet to hang clothes in.

TV/INTERNET: There was a TV in the room with a good selection of channels.
The Wi-Fi was very poor and dropped in and out all of the time. One night it was off almost all evening.

SERVICE: The reception staff were friendly and helpful.
Cleaning staff were also very friendly however commenced their shift at 7am. Our room seemed to be right outside the cleaning supply station and every morning we were woken by cleaning trolleys being stocked and pushed around.
Breakfast wasn’t within the hotel itself but was just outside the restaurant carpark/entrance at a restaurant. Given it was low season perhaps things aren’t always so dysfunctional, on our entrance to the restaurant no one greeted us, we had to ask how breakfast worked and what was available, even then no one could really tell us! That being said, we did end up having something to eat and it is included in the room rate so that’s a positive.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gounta
Reviewed 25 April 2010

This has got to be the best value hotel in issan if not thailand. In 15 years of travelling around S.E. Asia i have never been more comfortable than i was at the Piman Garden Hotel. City centre location at the end of a secluded soi, large rooms with air conditioning and a fan.Safe in the room with high end furnishings, great cable T.V. It is worth coming to Khon Kaen just to stay and relax in this fantastic hide away. Looking forward to my next visit already.
Bruce Morrice.