“Kelly's Hotel January 2012” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kelly's Residency

Kelly's Residency
Ranked #118 of 316 Hotels in Patong
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Kelly's Hotel January 2012”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Despite the fact that Dan was an Aussie, this whining Pommie Bast--d (Dan's words not mine !!) had a great stay at Kelly's with Dan, his wife and the family staff providing a great backdrop to a relaxing and friendly vacation. Aside from having to put up with daily abuse regarding my nationality from both Dan and the other bunch of Colonials and ex-convict Aussies staying there, this is one of the best places I have ever stayed. If you want 5 star service levels, pay 5 star prices for drink and laundry and generally be waited on hand and foot, this is probably not the place for you and maybe the Radissons and Hiltons are more suitable. However if you want to relax, be treated as a friend rather than a customer and lie back and chill out then Kelly's is the place to be.
The rooms were clean, large and very comfortable - the breakfasts were to die for and the company was second to none - Dan has worked a lot of years in the hotel industry and it certainly shows - he runs a really tight ship and behind all the abuse there lies a heart of gold !!
I'm planning on returning to Patong next year and Kelly's is top of the list - that's if he allows me back again !
Cheers to Dan, Tan and the crew for a fabulous time
Vince

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank VinceCharlton
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Residency, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Hi Vince thanks for the review, it was a great honor having a representative of the Crown one of Britain’s finest, come to Thailand to do a review on Kelly’s hotel to have the cream of Britain grace our humble abode and lecture us colonials on the greatness of the old country, I’m truly humbled, it’s always a pleasure dealing with those that get it and have fun, there is a way to have a great holiday in Phuket and that’s coming with the right attitude and you did exactly that, the critics of value, food, rooms, distance and personality’s just don’t get it and drive everyone nuts with their false perceptions of what they think they are entitled to,.
It’s beautiful warm and sunny here, are you teeth chattering cold back in the old cold country, I’m ready and waiting for you when you come back with more kind words of wisdom and tips on being proper. Thanks again a pleasure.
P.S. we have 1-000 star service here but you have to be amazing like you to get it.
Tan & Dan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Loved every minute at kelly's hotel..the staff there are absolutely beautiful in every way.Rooms are always clean,food is great and the owners Dan and Tan were so helpful,giving advice,recommendations,organising tours,taxis,a night out,anything i needed they knew where and when it was available.During my 2 weeks at kellys hotel i was'nt dissapointed in any way at all..i highly recommend it to anybody !!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Jyezee
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Residency, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
We’re Happy you enjoyed Kelly’s, those that get it have a good time with trips and tours and you got it, and that’s what Kelly’s is about, you used our free advice, there is a lot of time and work in gathering this knowledge and we’re happy to give it to those that come to Phuket and Kelly’s to enjoy what’s on offer, Phuket is a fun place but a mine field for all new comers looking for places to go, this knowledge you cannot find in 5 min or one week, we have it and costs us nothing to pass it on, and very few “if any” hotels give this service or have this amount of knowledge, Thais do things a lot different to anywhere else,
The big hotels have a very large impressive foyer and pool area, you pay a large room price get the here’s your key treatment, shown the room and that’s it, and that’s the difference in the service we give you, people love to talk about service and never say what it is just a loose word “service”, you got it, the service thing is our knowledge on where to go, things to do, taxi’s, places to see, invaluable to you the tourist.
Thanks for your kind review, Dan & Tan.
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

After reading all the excellent reviews for Kelly's, we really were expecting an amazing experience upon our arrival. However, if I'm honest, it was nothing special.
The taxi pick-up charged us 600 baht, even though we'd read in guide books and heard from others that the standard fare from the airport to Patong is 400-500 baht. He was also an extremely careless driver (although everyone in Thailand drives irresponsibly, this driver was by far our worst experience of all. I genuinely feared for my life) and tried to overcharge us (he told us the fare was 800 baht, and only after much negotiation did he consent to accept 600). I cannot blame Kelly's for the driver's conduct, as they are not directly responsible, but I do believe that if the hotel insists that they organise taxis for guests in order to avoid 'taxi scams', they should at least ensure that the drivers are safe (by Thailand standards!) and honest.
The location of this hotel is definitely it's biggest downfall! It was such a distance from the main shopping/entertainment area that I would have felt unsafe walking in the area late at night, and from our ocean view room the beach was a tiny detail on the horizon! I would say that it takes AT LEAST 10 minutes to walk to the beginning of the shopping area (Banzaan market and surrounds), about 15 to Junceylon or Bangla Road, and no less than half an hour to the beach. Dan if you claim you can do it in 6, you must be sprinting!
The layout of the hotel was also a small dissapointment. From the pictures the pool and outdoor area looked large and inviting, but in reality the hotel is built on a very small piece of land and the swimming pool is extremely compact. It was neat and tidy, and no doubt a nice place, but not what we expected from the photographs: we found them slighly misleading.
Aside from the above mentioned issues, we were satisfied with the rooms at Kelly's, and the staff/family all were extremely helpful/polite/lovely. The children especially were very cute!
I have no intention to spoil the reputation of Kelly's, nor condone it as a no-stay. I'm just honestly stating that although Kelly's is a great place to stay, and does constitute good value for money, there are also many 'Guesthouses' right in the center of the beach, shopping and entertainment area that cost half as much and although they do not have swimming pools, the room quality is almost identical to Kelly's.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank matkakucing
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Dan, Tan and the rest of the staff at Kellys are amazing. They not only make you feel welcome, they make you feel part of their family. The taxi service was so helpful and takes all of the hassle out of arriving and departing Phuket. Dan is also extremely knowledgable and helpful with booking tours, suggestions on places to visit and general information about Phuket. They provide so many services for free and take absolutely NO kickbacks- something you just cannot find in other hotels. The rooms are fantastic value for money. Breakfast is very yummy and again a great price. On a more personal note- I would like to advise you to disregard many of the negative reviews some people give about this hotel. After speaking to Dan & Tan it is clear that you simply cannot please everyone and if you are looking for a hotel on the beach with servants to wait on you hand and foot- this is not the place for you.

Thanks again Dan, Tan & staff :)

Rachelle, Katie & Jess

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sugar_shell_28
Hi Rachelle, Katie & Jess.
Thank you very much for your review, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us, the difference between review writers amazes me, you were very smart and quick to get what it was all about, and that’s free sound information, and I get that information off you the public, you used it to the fullest did not waste any time, it’s impossible for any new comer to sort out tours for themselves far too many pitfalls, I do it for free it doesn’t get any better, we use all the good information from hundreds of people that have gone before you, you pick what trips you want and one phone call and your off having fun, it costs us nothing to help, to hear the words “we had a great day” when guests come back from a tour is reward enough for us, we pass that information on to the next person, and you write positive stuff for the person that reads your review, this is what review writing is about, unlike some that spend too much time being a hotel armchair critic never ever done the job and naively give out the wrong information, that’s not what a holiday is about.

Thanks again from Tan & Dan, and hope to see you again one day god willing..

I’m glad you mentioned the taxi’s, I have to mention that the taxi girl Koice and Ott and their crew are the best, they are only allowed half an hour free wait time at arrival area and pick up passengers, or face a parking fee, the taxi is always there to greet you or not far away if some mix up, that’s why we give all taxi phone No’s in emails, times don’t always match up, like late planes and the time getting through immigration, if your plane is late they come back for you, they have a very hard thankless job and do a lot of work for free and a lot of waiting around for nothing, even if its hours late they are there and that is amazing service, and if I don’t put it in here no one would know or care..

Unfortunately there is one very thankless lot of people that abuse this service and that’s the person that books a room and a taxi and fails to tell us they have cancelled, “no shows”, these no shows are getting worse, and this makes it very costly for taxis and us, I’m trying to figure out a way of making them pay for all the expenses they cost us without compromising the way we do business, we have our honour system and hold rooms, and the taxi turns up, but this selfish inconsiderate person destroys that honour system and costs the taxi and us a lot of time and money with their me me attitude, apart from the waiting around looking for them at airports, this can affect the pickup of others if they are late coming out of immigration the taxi thinks they have another no show, what a lot of people don’t understand is the hours the taxi’s put in for free, thankless work, and without them you will never ever arrive at Kelly’s, the rouge drivers will take you somewhere else and that could be very expensive for you, these robber taxis have no scruples, and if we never had a room or taxi waiting for these same people they raise hell and where the worst hotel and taxi service in the world yet its ok for them if they default, please if you’re not going to show up at least notify us a good week in advance.

Thanks again Rachelle, Katie & Jess you make it all worthwhile your true gems and the world needs more young intelligent people like you.
Dan & Tan.
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

I stayed at Kelly's 11 nights and was very pleased with the experience.

The hotel is located in a relatively quiet part of Patong Beach (except for the busy traffic on the road), but it is anyway possible to reach any part of town on foot in about 10-15 minutes.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the manager Dan was always ready for a chat as well as giving good advice.

If I ever come back to Patong Beach, Kelly's will definitely be on top of my list of places to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank nrasmussen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

There's nothing bad to say about Kelly's. Friendly staff, great location not too close to the hustle and bustle of the beach but close enough to everything really to enjoy it! A comfortable little place with a nice pool and everything you need in a room. Always a great experience I'll be coming back here again for sure. I highly recommend this hotel for your next patong/ Phuket adventure.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank MattyBeee
St Jean du Monts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

This was our first trip to Thailand and our first stay in Phuket.
We arrived at the airport where we had arranged for Kellys to provide us with transport to the hotel. Unfortunately it did not arrive. We managed to get a taxi and paid the price Dan had quoted in his email. When we arrived Dan had miss read the email and thought we should have arrived the day before.
The room was on the 4th floor and we had a sea view. The room was clean and airy, the bathroom was a little tatty around the edges but clean. We had tea, coffee and water in our room. The aircon worked great, the door to the balcony had a habit of coming off its runners and when we reported it they did come and sort out the probelm. Unfortunately you could not have the door open because of the constant traffic noise going past the hotel.
The road outside the hotel was really bad, but the traffic in this area is horrendous and you take your life in your hands to cross roads in this area. Hats off to the young who hire bikes and hit the roads, which you could hire from Kellys for a very cheap price.
The pool area was small and shady it was cleaned everyday.
We had read so much about Dan's breakfasts I had to try them. His bacon butty was wonderful. The breakfast was too overpowering for me and quiet greasy, If you are a fan of the fry up you will enjoy this ample breakfast.
Dan was a great story teller and we found him and his extended Thai family great. He is looking after an assortment of waifs and strys which endears him to you. If I had a grip it would be you need to maybe moved the children from the bar area in the evening and maybe the guests would sit and have a drink before going out and about.
The hotel is situated on the top of a hill and the walk to the beach is about 10/15mins going is fine coming back is not good. We used to have a tut tut but the prices were a real rip off. When we arrived they were charging 200bah and when we left 10 days later there prices had increased to 300 bah. You can buy a tshirt for 200 so I used to walk back and do just that at least I came back a little fitter than when I went.
Over all it is a good hotel, the noise from the road was my only issue. We did lay by the pool on a couple of days but the road fumes are not good. I also used the washing service in the hotel and I would recommend this service.
The hotel could do with a little sprucing up, but the value was really good.
I also work in the holiday industry and realise we all have different expectations for our holiday.
Dan and his team really try hard to make your stay good.

Room Tip: Good value and if you are not bothered about a distant sea view I would choose a pool side room whic...