“Great location & awesome staff.!!!”

Banthai Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Tasmania, Australia
“Great location & awesome staff.!!!”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Loved this resort.! Clean, neat rooms. Great pools. Good buffet. Okay priced drinks & food for a resort for room service. Maccas, pizza, steak house, pharmacy, hairdressers right out the front.! Best location & the staff - the biggest legends.!!! We made great friends with two gorgeous girls by the names of Om & Pen.! Usually in the Y-Lounge bar at the front of resort on main rd or in lObby bar. So kind & funny.! They made our time at BanThai heaps of fun.!!! Will definitely stay here when we return.!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank K_LondonRose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Banthai is a lovely hotel, situated in an excellent location near the beach in Patong. My room was on the 3rd Floor overlooking the pool and apart from noisy neighbours slamming their doors late at night it was very quiet, clean and comfortable. Complimentary water was provided each day and the cool TV was quite handy to monitor my account of various purchases so I knew how much the bill would be when checking out.

Breakfast was quite busy but the selection of food was great and tasted nice. The chef who calls himself Mr Egg was fairly entertaining and nice to see someone with a genuine smile on their face providing a great service.

The spa was excellent, naturally it is quite expensive compared to the various choices outside the hotel but the ambience and professional service provided was 10 out of 10.

The hotel provides an exchange service for your cash but if you go out onto the main street there is a shop in the driveway that will give you a better rate.

I had a few issues with Banthai that I found really annoying. Firstly I booked and received confirmation my room was reserved about 5 – 6 weeks prior to arriving. I believe the confirmation stated I would pay when I checked out. However about 3 weeks prior to my arrival I received an email from the hotel asking if they could charge my card to retain my reservation? As I was travelling through Thailand at the time I did not answer immediately and received a second message in capital letters marked urgent. I couldn’t believe this nonsense. On arrival I was taken to a room and given a complimentary drink whilst they brought a numerous papers in for me to sign and wanted payment then and there. I had just hopped of a plane, I was hot and tired and not in the mood, I was not impressed.

Another little annoyance I had was that they were charging a large amount for the use of the internet, sorry I can’t remember specifically. It was only for an hour and if you did not use the full hour there was no way of retaining a credit for the unused time?

Also on my first day I went to the tour desk around 4pm and no-one was there and there was no sign indicating when they would be back. I headed back around 6pm and two ladies were standing there talking and told me to come back tomorrow as the tour desk was closed for the day. The next day I spoke to the tour officer who advised the desk is open daily from 9am to 8pm at night?

I ran into other unhappy customers and saw one family in an argument with reception on one occasion. In my opinion I think Banthai is focussed on the $ and not much else.

Would I stay here again, nope? Patong is a very busy place and not at all relaxing, Banthai is nice to look at but I’m sure there are better places to stay.

Apart from the local Thais everyone else was Aussie, I barely felt like I had left home?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jane R
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Our time at the Banthai was very relaxing, one of the best holidays we have had. But after previously had stayed at the Holiday Inn the Banthai was definitely not up to the same standard. The bed was hard and the air con in our room was hardly cold enough to cope with the heat. My husband and I found ourselves waking up hot in the night time and having wrestless sleeps due to the heat. The breakfast was nice but about a quarter of the selection that the Holiday Inn had to offer. Overall it was nice and clean and a great location but thats about it. Not too sure it would be a place we would stay again.

4 Thank Amy U
Beaconsfield Upper, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My partner and I stayed 1 week in a pool side room which we would highly recommend. It was only 4 steps away from the pool with a nice private terrace with our own sun lounges on it. The swim out rooms, which are more expensive and actaully not that private and we didnt think they were worth paying the extra money for. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the buffet breakfast was the best we had ever had. The only down side of this hotel was the mattress was very hard so it was a bit uncomfortable. The location is fantastic. You only need to walk 100 metres and you are right in the action of the main beach street. We had a great stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Best room is the pool side rooms but not the private pool side ones.
2 Thank Vicki M
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Don’t get me wrong, from my experience the Ban Thai is a nice, comfortable and safe hotel.
But I felt this hotel just lacked that special something and I was a little underwhelmed when my girlfiend and I stayed there for 10 days in April 2012.
Located right in the heart of Patong, but setback enough from the main strip to avoid the noise of Singha-fuelled revellers, the hotel is clean and modern and boasts three large pool areas.
Each pool has its own characteristics and swim-up bar – with drinks at reasonable prices – local beers are about 100-150 baht and there’s an extensive cocktail list that average about 200 baht (plus tax and service charges).
You’ll get your grog for about a quarter of that at 7-11 or from street vendors, but if you take on board the service and paying for the privilege, you are still getting a pretty good deal by western standards.
As others before me have posted, on check-in we were welcomed with a refresher towel and exotic cool drink, while hotel staff prepared our room (we stayed in a superior room).
The third floor room was modern and clean, although the bath looked a little worse for wear and needed a good scrub.
The staff were friendly, their service was prompt and it usually came with a customary Thai smile.
There were a few minor cons that kept the hotel from being an absolute winner including:
*Our room was modern, but a little plain – we had issues with our sink and the water temperature in the shower went from icy to boiling hot;
*The TV in our room was super touchy – it was overly complicated and was a pain to use;
*Using the internet was highly overpriced – it cost about 150 baht for an hour – when most hotels are free.

Room Tip: Order an extra security card for your room to ensure your air conditioning stays on when you are out...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MickSinclair
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed at the Banthai Phuket for 7 days on the 21st April...
We found it to be very comfortable...service was great. The rooms are only have simple decor
but neat and clean. Breakfast was super. All in all we had a lovely stay and we would highly recommend this lovely resort.

Room Tip: Delux pool room.
2 Thank Denise T
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Just returned from 3 weeks at the Banthai, this is the second time we have stayed and I would highly recommend it. The staff are fantastic including Front Desk, Pool Bar, Restaurant, housemaids, gardeners, everyone. The staff were sensational, the front desk staff were always friendly (a special mention to Nar Ho), our room lady was fantastic (often our towels were folded in to rabbits etc) and the pool staff, Timmy, Nick, Jack and Sam really made our time by the pool a lot of fun. We went with 2 couples and we had deluxe rooms all together, only a couple of steps to the pool The rooms were well equipped and air con worked well, great showers. The Egg Man and Garm on the restuarant terrace were fantastic, always greeting you warmly and Garm always remembered the tea/coffee requirements. Yes, plenty of Aussies there, all were friendly and respectful, no problem with late night noise or late night swimming. A great place to stay, with the biggest smiles to greet you wherever you were in the hotel. Highly recommended

2 Thank Gail C