See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 31, 2014

On finding the Saxon Inn full on a recent visit to the area we opted for this, a property once well-known as the Squirrel's Nest. At one time it was a reasonable place to stay for parents and others visiting Alfred, but sadly it has deteriorated to the point where I would not want to return (and I've been willing to put up with a lot).

A mother and daughter team are attempting to keep this place going and are only marginally successful. The property looks neglected and in places abandoned. One wing of rooms was locked up and dark and on our visit we were the sole guests. The room was tired-looking if not shabby and the mattress was downright disturbing. We did not sleep well at all, due to the musty smells and feeling of decay that pervaded the room. There were boggy spots on the floor that we tried to avoid, and mildew in the bath.

About the only good thing I can say is that the location is great if you're visiting Alfred. I think we'd've been happier in a tent, frankly, and were sorry we didn't bring one.

It's clear the folks running the Economy are struggling, but sympathy alone does not make me want to visit. I give this one a big thumbs-down.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kinnakeeto
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

In all my life this was the absolute worst motel considering we paid $80 for this dump. I couldve accepted all the bad things about the room. What topped itto off was my fiance waking up to bug bites all over his face and body. It didnt have a shower head. Water kept going ice cold to scolding hot. The towels looked like cleaning rags and the curtains dont cover all the window. I would never suggest even taking an animal there.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank tdoing
Reviewed October 17, 2012

What a dump! The 1st thing I did was look for bedbugs. The room needed paint to get rid of the ground in dirt on the walls and trim. The tile ceiling was in need of replacing as it was starting to fall in and to get rid of the water stain. The floor you could have falling through if not for the carpet. They must have had bad water damaged at some time or another and never fixed. The microwave was at one time white but now is a lovely yellow; inside was left over spaghetti sauce. If there was another hotel that was not full I would have gone there. Never again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Sheryl L
Reviewed September 20, 2010

If newly renovated means they glued rubber baseboard to the bathtub in a lame attempt to hide the mildew and mold, then you bet its been "renovated". The place is scary inside-we found a steak in the freezer that I'm sure had thawed and spoiled as the whole room smelled bad. We bought spray to kill the smell, but when we opened the frig and found the culprit, we called the desk- which I had to do from my cell phone as the phone in the room seemed to be just a prop. The women washing the linen was folding it outside on a picnic table that was filthy. I kept moving a rank garbage can away from our door but it kept finding it's way back. What a disappointment- and why we we expect any less in a "college" town than anywhere else?

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kcsunshine20
Reviewed October 24, 2008

I stayed there recently for alumni weekend. It's not the greatest hotel but the people are very friendly. It's close to the campuses and easy to find. It's a college town with limited amenities! The Saxon isn't that much better to be honest and it's way more expensive. It's a good place to stay if you are on a budget and want to visit the schools or friends etc. It's pretty clean and no it's not that modern. Alfred, NY isn't exactly a hopping metropolis anyway, so it fits in very well. If you are a fussy prima dona then I don't recommend this place. You are better off at the Saxon or one of the hotels in Hornell. If you can go with the flow then this place is for you.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Diana W