See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 12, 2015

The person that checked me in was very very nice and explained to me an issue about the room. When I made the reservation and told this lady I was traveling alone she cut me a deal on my room. The room itself at first glance was great minus the lack of accessible electrical outlets. I sat on the bed and felt like I was in heaven since it was super soft. As the weekend went on I noticed several things wrong with the room. There was a hole in the wall by one bed and wall paper was peeling. I can deal with the cosmetic stuff. Then I checked the bathroom, it like the room at first glance appeared to be ok then I noticed the tub and was told I needed to leave the water run to get hot water. The internet was super slow. Next time I travel I may stay there soloy based on the service and not the room.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2015

Friends and I were the area for a Tough Mudder and could NOT have been more pleased. The lady and daughter who run it are beyond accommodating. The rooms were sparkling clean, and I know ours had recently been renovated. Beds were comfortable, Nice Continental breakfast. Haven't a single complaint and HIGHLY recommend!

Room Tip: 2nd floor might be best.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank jcarol1406
Reviewed July 31, 2014

On finding the Saxon Inn full on a recent visit to the area we opted for this, a property once well-known as the Squirrel's Nest. At one time it was a reasonable place to stay for parents and others visiting Alfred, but sadly it has deteriorated to the point where I would not want to return (and I've been willing to put up with a lot).

A mother and daughter team are attempting to keep this place going and are only marginally successful. The property looks neglected and in places abandoned. One wing of rooms was locked up and dark and on our visit we were the sole guests. The room was tired-looking if not shabby and the mattress was downright disturbing. We did not sleep well at all, due to the musty smells and feeling of decay that pervaded the room. There were boggy spots on the floor that we tried to avoid, and mildew in the bath.

About the only good thing I can say is that the location is great if you're visiting Alfred. I think we'd've been happier in a tent, frankly, and were sorry we didn't bring one.

It's clear the folks running the Economy are struggling, but sympathy alone does not make me want to visit. I give this one a big thumbs-down.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kinnakeeto
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

In all my life this was the absolute worst motel considering we paid $80 for this dump. I couldve accepted all the bad things about the room. What topped itto off was my fiance waking up to bug bites all over his face and body. It didnt have a shower head. Water kept going ice cold to scolding hot. The towels looked like cleaning rags and the curtains dont cover all the window. I would never suggest even taking an animal there.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank tdoing
Reviewed October 17, 2012

What a dump! The 1st thing I did was look for bedbugs. The room needed paint to get rid of the ground in dirt on the walls and trim. The tile ceiling was in need of replacing as it was starting to fall in and to get rid of the water stain. The floor you could have falling through if not for the carpet. They must have had bad water damaged at some time or another and never fixed. The microwave was at one time white but now is a lovely yellow; inside was left over spaghetti sauce. If there was another hotel that was not full I would have gone there. Never again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family