“Not suitable for business travellers”

Rixos Downtown Antalya
Ranked #12 of 231 Hotels in Antalya
Istanbul, Turkey
“Not suitable for business travellers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

I stayed at Rixos Downtown for one night last week and as a businessman, I wasn't impressed with it.
They call themselves a five even six star hotel but lack of attention to detail lets them down.

There is no iron and ironing board in the room. They don't deliver them to your room either. You have to use the laundry service.

The toiletries in the bathroom are Bvlgari. However, there are no cotton buds but there's a nail file.
In the morning, hot water stopped running in the middle of my shower. I waited for more than five minutes but still no sign of it. Therefore, I had to finish it in cold water in December.

At breakfast, I ordered a glass of fresh orange juice and was charged 10 TRY (3.57 GBP) for it. I understand it if they charge for it somewhere where oranges are not grown. However, Antalya is the orange capital of Turkey. Probably, the cheapest thing you can buy is oranges, there.
When I explained all of these to the lady at the customer relations, she didn't seem to be surprised with it. She told me that the management took such things seriously and act on them.
So far, I haven't received a formal apology regarding the cold shower I had to take. They charged me 10 TRY for a glass of sour orange juice and no compensation was offered.

Besides, if you'd like to use the minibar, a five cl miniature bottle of Beluga vodka costs 55 TRY (19.64 GBP)!

In my opinion, the hotel is not suitable for a businessman/woman. I don't think I'll stay there, again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Memsie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed at the Rixos Antalya (which used to be a Sheraton) for one night 2 weeks ago. Could be a brilliant Hotel but let down by slow and inefficient staff and lack of attention to detail. Someone else commented on the nickel/dime mentality which is evident when it took the desk 30 mins to check me out as they asked someone to go to my room and check if my honesty was correct about the one bottle of water I had consumed. I do speak some Turkish and could work out what was going on which is insulting on that sort of tariff, and if they were ever full which I doubt they would be, they would have a small riot at check-out.

The hotel came with high expectations as it was recommended by one of our Turkish friends who was in awe of the young entrepreneur who owns the chain.

As a business stay it is ok but definitely avoid for any other reason.

One final thing is that the a/c is set to warm for the whole hotel to suit the Turkish visitors who find it chilly at 22 degrees and in the evening we had to sleep with the patio doors open to counteract the heat.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LancashireBentley
DowntownAntalya, Rixos Downtown Managment at Rixos Downtown Antalya, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Dear valuable Guest;

We have read your comment regarding your stay at our hotel and regretted that all these inconveniences have happened. Your feedback is highly appreciated as high service quality is one of our top priorities.
We apologize again and hope that you give us another chance to be able to show you our hospitality with Rixos touch in every detail.
We hope to welcome you again at Rixos Downtown Antalya.

For any queries please do not hessitate to contact us.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel a while ago when it was the Sheraton Hotel. We had a seminar at the hotel and had 30 guests from the Russian Republics. The hotel delayed in sending the confirmations and got the rooms wrong. The manager was very apologetic and got everything fixed. Our seminar went well but the staff seemed very inexperienced but eager to please.

My room was ok except the shower door fell off which was fixed while I was out for dinner. The room was very clean and comfortable. The beach is down the hill from the hotel and not very convenient. It was cold so I didn't go swimming but it is a public beach.

The breakfast buffet was varied with all sorts of things. I think most people would find something they liked to eat. We had a dinner and several lunches there and the food was ok. The salads very fresh.

Over all a good experience. Make sure to pay extra for the sea view - your other alternative is the highway. To be honest, if I had to pay, I wouldn't stay here. I would stay somewhere wtih better beach access and more secluded but that is just me...

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
DowntownAntalya, Rixos Downtown Managment at Rixos Downtown Antalya, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for sharing your opinions. The ideas of our guest create the opportunity of ourself evaluation.

The necessary measures are prepared regarding situations that you have specified.

We would be glad if you prefer Rixos Downtoen Antalya once again.

Yours Sincerely,
pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

This place was pretty to look at but not at all professionally run. They want to call themselves 5 or even 6 star but they are too disorganized to be in that league. The food is pretty to look at but overpriced and not very good. The staff, on the other hand, really do try hard. But they are faced with many problems. Another person wrote about the hotel being nearly empty, yet the pool had pounding music playing that was disturbing the peace and did not seem to fit. Breakfasts were great, but the nickel/dime mentality of charging you for every little extra thing detracted. Also, the wifi was terrible which shocked me for a supposed business hotel. Plus there was no business office. To get on to wifi you had to give your passport number as a part of the code, which is a bad system to start with. It made people suspicious what they were doing with the passport numbers!! The beach is too far away from the hotel to walk and there were some shifty characters lurking on the steps. The hotel needs to warn guests not to try to walk there but rather take the inconvenient shuttle. Also at various times I had no soap, no toilet paper, no tissues. Calling the front desk took so long I had to use another bathroom. Signage is also poor so it was hard to know how to find what you were looking for. This place needs a lot of work to be accepted as a contender in the 5 star range!

Room Tip: You def want a sea view!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank AdventureRUs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

This hotel is an example in polar opposites when it comes to intent and execution.

The check-in was an absolute disaster. At 1:30 in the afternoon the person at check-in (Lavent) started chatting with someone while keeping us waiting. A good 10 minutes later, we requested him to check us in first because we were really tired from our journey and from driving around for over an hour to find the hotel. To our utter shock he very rudely commented that we have to keep standing anyway since as per international norms we cannot be given the room before 2!! It was already 1:45 in the afternoon! Shell shocked, we argued that in our voracious travels around the world, this is the first time we've heard an argument like that - saying the rooms aren't ready is understandable, but at 1:45 in the afternoon showing us international protocol was unbelievable! He literally shooed us away with his hand gestures and told us that he was the manager and that "there's nothing you can do". There was clearly a racist undertone to the whole episode. Really frustrated with this and feeling trapped since we had prepaid, we went to speak to the Guest Relations desk.

To be fair, they were as shell shocked as we were. And turned out that he wasn't the manager anyway! They immediately checked us in and upgraded us after apologizing profusely.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the end of the woes of Guest Relations. During our brief stay of 2+ days, many inefficiencies took place which they truly tried to amend. The problem was that their good intent was just not followed through by the staff. Example - They tried to be really nice by sending us a champagne and cake in the morning (it was my birthday). We were just about stepping out so we requested them to keep the stuff in their fridge and we'll ask for it when we come back. We returned at 9pm - no house keeping had visited our room so it was a mess, the champagne had become warm, the cake had melted. Again, an hour of running around they tried to fix everything but the damage had already been done.

Breakfast was a similar experience, the spread is huge though.

It just seems like their senior staff and management has international exposure and understand hospitality and customer service very well but their junior staff really has no clue and that leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Services - They have a complimentary shuttle running every hour to and from their private beach. Salon is ridiculously over-priced. There are some really nice salons close-by with much better services. Pool is nice but very noisy.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank onlythemostawesome
Isfahan , Iran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

me and my familiy stayed 6 night at this hotel, Reception staff is very polite and carefully, ,the service, entertainment, rooms, cleaniness were good . I was a little disappointed with the food
I coming back next year

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

I have just returned from a business trip to İstanbul and Antalya.I was informed by my business partners in Antalya that the ex Sheraton had been completely refurbished and rebranded as Rixos where they recommended me to stay as a deluxe 5 star hotel.I had a days business in Antalya and thought to relax for another 2 days at the hotel.Upon arrival i was greeted efficiently and shown to my room upgraded to a sea view room.I had previously stayed at the same hotel when it was a Sheraton so I knew the hotel.When I entered my room I did not notice too much of a change apart from the sink and shower in the bathroom had changed and they supplied Bulgari toileteries,the room furniture was basically the same except a new carpet and new soft furnishings and the 'polyster sheets' .İ had arrived at Antalya midday and you can imagine how hot it was and to quench my thirst I took out of the minibar the only available water an italian brand (unfortunately)costing 5 STG for 250ml,there was no other choice,as I had an appoinment in the afternoon I asked for an iron to iron my creased shirt and was told the hotel only has a laundry service and that it had to go to laundry and would be delivered next day,which was of no use to me and not what you expect from a 5 star property.After my appointment I came back to the hotel and went to use my tea/coffee making facilities where I discoverd a bottle of Nestle water complimentary,however I wanted a coffee and when I looked at the pot they had 3 different sorts of tea ,creamer,sugar.I thought that housekeeping forgot the coffee so I phoned through and asked for coffee and they politely told me they dont supply coffee and I can obtain the coffee from the hotel shop.Each sachet costs in the hotel shop 0,50tl.Next morning went to breakfast which had a great variety of food,nothing to complain about,I was shown to a table everything nice and clean,the waiter asked if I wanted orange juice and I said yes and quickly was brought an orange juice and I also had a coffee which was a very mild coffee luke warm not to my taste so I ordered an expresso which was ok.Breakfast was good and just as I was just about to leave I got presented for a bill for an orange juice and a expresso.I could just about understand being charged for an expresso but for an orange juice in a 5 star hotel at breakfast not acceptable. So upset I went to my room and got my book to go down to the pool to relax for the next 2 days.The pool area was virtually empty as there were not many guests in the hotel it was clean and tidy absulutely no complaints,however it was like being in a disco with house music playing round the pool from 10.00-18.00 continiously.After asking several times and pleading with the Dj I managed to secure a few decibels lower.later on ithe day I went to reception and complained and the answer I got was it would be looked at.Next day again the same music absulutely no quiet time round the pool continious music unbearable so I left the pool deck.To sum it up in a nutshell I dont think the hotel knows where it wants to be a holiday village or a city hotel.Please make your mind up.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business