Enda Boutique Hotel(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$178
US$88
Cherry Suite(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$63
Kalkan Park Hotel(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
US$54
Dream Hotel(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
US$68
Courtyard(Kalkan)
US$142
Caretta Boutique Hotel(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
US$82
  • Pool
Hotel Zinbad(Kalkan)(Great Value!)
US$47
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbeach clubinfinity poolfree shuttle boatsea lappingturkeyevening diningromantic settingon the rocksbreakfast is servedour honeymoonolive treeskalkan harbouramazing viewshillside overlookingearly in the seasonstunning locationturquoise coast
Reviewed November 9, 2015

This hotel was highly recommended by a friend and we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived we were amazed by the beauty of the location and the warmth and hospitality of the staff.
We were delighted to find that we had very kindly been upgraded to a Sunset Deluxe room which was spacious, comfortable and absolutely spotless. The room had a wonderful panoramic view of the bay and one of the things we loved most was the beautiful grounds that the villa is set within.
The breakfast buffet included breads, fruits, local jams, cheese and eggs cooked to order and there was an extensive a la carte menu for lunch and dinner - all delicious!
We wanted a relaxing holiday so we spent most of our time by the pool or at the beach club where we had everything we needed, but we did use the free water taxi service which was a quick and easy way to get into town.
The service was faultless throughout our stay and we cannot recommend the hotel highly enough. Thank you to Cem, Ipek and all the team for making it such a special holiday for us.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank loveholidays1232015
CemKaradayi, General Manager at Hotel Villa Mahal, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2015

Dear loveholidays1232015,

We very much appreciate your input about your experience at Villa Mahal.

It makes us proud that we have proven your friend right. As you have realized, our hotel mainly focuses on providing quiet, peaceful and relaxing time for our guests. We try to make this property perfect for couples who prefer to have some alone time.

Thanks again for your positive comments! We do hope to see you someday soon.

Best regards,

Cem karadayi

Reviewed November 5, 2015

I'm a bit late in writing my review for Villa Mahal, but nevertheless am pleased to provide my feedback. After reading some of the recent comments, I was frankly quite shocked at the negative feedback on the staff and rooms, both of which I and my family found to be very kind and top-notch, respectively.

This was my 2nd visit to Villa Mahal, after a lovely short visit in October 2014 during Kurban/Eid. After such a positive experience solo, I thought it would be a lovely place to take my parents, who truly enjoyed the holiday in late June 2015.

Cem, Ipek and all the staff, who remembered me by name and face even after 1 year(?!), were per usual extremely kind an accommodating. At the time I was living in Izmir for work, and made the drive to Kalkan by car. Upon arrival there was no issue with parking and we simply left our keys at reception for any parking movements needed, and the very kind valets handled our bags on arrival and departure.

The beach club and restaurant have a great menu and service, with amazing seats and views of the sea and Kalkan village. I think there's opportunity to provide a few more daily specials but in any case the food was excellent at dinner, and perfectly proportioned at lunch/afternoon tea/snacks. I also particularly enjoyed the weekly Jazz nights and the themed Turkish meze nights - really both excellent events with great quality of both entertainment and food.

Breakfast was also good - my only recommendation would be to make it a bit more like a traditional village/"koy" breakfast, with numerous small dishes and the lovely presentation as in other hotels of the area. Regardless, this recommendation is only based on my years in Turkey - the breakfast has a great balance of standard W.European fare and Turkish dishes, and all is very fresh and prompt.

In sum, I really find VM an excellent hotel and hope to return in 2016 to enjoy the area and see everyone again. Thanks all for my 2nd positive experience and best wishes for the new year!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Ashley F

Dear Ashley F,

Thank you very much for giving your feedback about your recent stays with us.

First of all I was very pleased to know that you intended to be our repeat guest during your first stay with us last year. We were very glad to see you and your family this summer. I hope they had a good time in Villa Mahal.

Also thank you for your contribution about the breakfast. We will take it into consideration.

We hope to see you back next year!

All the best,

Reviewed October 5, 2015

We arrived at this hotel after our usual stay at the Villa Tamara on the Kas peninsular, travelling independently. We had friends staying in Kalkan so thought it would be a good opportunity to stay - at last - at the Villa Mahal, somewhere I had often fancied. I knew the hotel was on the Exclusive Escapes web site (E.E. are no longer trading) but when emailing the hotel, Cem Karadayi, Asst Manager, told me that they kept 4 rooms back and that one of them would be available for the date I wanted which was excellent. Cem was great to deal with, responding quickly to all my emails.

Anyway, we arrived in unseasonal stormy weather, liked drowned rats by the time we got to our room - 201 - but what a lovely surprise when we arrived there. I had seen room 201 on the E.E. web site, so was not expecting to be met with beautiful aquamarine curtains covering 2 walls (and the huge windows). It was obvious the whole room had been renovated, beautiful floor tiles and a new bathroom, it was nothing like 201 shown on the E.E. website, obviously an old photo. The room was simply but stylishly furnished with modern quality furniture and fittings. I would not describe it as minimalist. In the bathrooms was a long corian sink (designed by Ipek the hotel owner) with a huge shelf underneath which was ideal for the bathers, and a large walk in shower. Outside we had a private part covered terrace with 2 reclining chairs and small table, plus a little grassed area and parasol, plus another chair on the small terrace in front of the sliding glass doors. In fact this room is shown on the Mahal's web site - the Sunset deluxe. It was perfect for us with the part covered terrace, and of course the views across the bay, looking out to sea and back towards Kalkan are breathtaking. At first I thought storage might be a problem but we just about managed to unpack completely (we were in Turkey for 2 weeks but I had enough stuff for at least 3). I noticed the room opposite ours had more of a wrap around terrace and was very sunny with loungers and a parasol, plus a table and 2 chairs. I think it was also a Sunset deluxe, maybe 202. If you want a sunny terrace enquire abut it with Cem.

We dined in the first night as the weather was still stormy. We went down about 150 steps to the restaurant which was surrounded by clear plastic covers to keep the wind and rain out, and it was actually very cosy with the little oil lamps on each table. Service was attentive and the food very good. We met Ipek who was very friendly, moving around the tables and chatting to guests. We had another 3 evenings dining down on the beach platforms which was a beautiful setting, very romantic with the small oil lamps on the tables, looking across at the twinkling lights of Kalkan. On each occasion we found food and service very good.

Breakfast was mostly taken on the top terrace, again stunning views. I would say it was a typical Turkish breakfast including eggs cooked however you wanted and jugfuls of fresh orange juice.

The free shuttle boat between the Mahal beach club and Kalkan was certainly very useful, calling at the Mahal guest beach club section every hour on the half hour, roughly. Sometimes we took a taxi, quite cheap especially with the exchange rate at the moment. To and from the Mahal it was about 16.5 TL, we gave 20TL - which at the moment is less than £5.

Certainly the steps are quite challenging in the heat - luckily the bad weather didn't last long - and the steps from room 201 up to the breakfast terrace are quite deep as it's on a steep slope - there are about 50. Down to the beach club (crazy paved terraces with loungers and parasols) about 190. However, if you are a 'pool person' this is only roughly halfway down the property and when I was there, hardly ever used. The infinity pool is lovely, quite large, there is a toilet there and an 'honesty bar'. Everywhere is very clean so I don't know what one of the previous reviewers is on about - rubbish at the pool? Certainly not when I was there. Everywhere was pristine.

Certainly as you enter the sea it is a lot cooler here than the part of the Kas peninsular where we usually go, but as a guest pointed out - the further out you swim, the warmer it gets, perhaps only about 20/30 mtrs and the sea feels a lot warmer - this is because of the cold springs which is of course one of the reasons why the sea is so beautifully clear (as it also is on the Kas peninsular). There are designated cordoned off swimming areas as there is a fair bit of water traffic - beach club boats, daily boat trips and sometimes jet skis. You can dive or jump in, or go down steps, straight into deep water.

We paid 420 euros for our room - yes it's expensive but there are cheaper rooms. Some rooms will be renovated apparently and some, like ours, done already. But with the improved euro/pound sterling exchange rate it wasn't too bad, just over £300 a night, still expensive I know but we were prepared to pay it. We paid a similar price for a hotel of this quality in Dubrovnik. This is a lovely 13 bedroomed boutique hotel in the true sense of the word, all rooms I believe being completely different and when you think of the position of other hotels in Kalkan it probably has one of the best and shortest accesses to the sea with very attractive beach platforms with loungers and parasols.

The tea and coffee making facilities in our room were welcome. The first day I went for a walk and bought some tea bags from a shop at a back entrance to the Patara Beach club, and milk for the fridge (coffee mate milk supplied) but we were left lots of tea bags daily and I'm sure if I'd asked I could have had some milk for the fridge. Mini bar prices are apparently the same as the bar prices. Also supplied was a plug in for mosquitos unless it was left by a previous guest, but I don't think so.

Generally I prefer the more cosmopolitan and Turkish Kas to Kalkan which has become more of a British resort, but after our stay at Mahal I have warmed quite a lot to Kalkan. I think you need to stay somewhere to get the feel of it. Like Kas it's very pretty at night, lots of good restaurants, many on rooftops and some quality shops.

We enjoyed our rather short stay here very much, thank you Ipek, Cem and all the team.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnnePenrhos
CemKaradayi, General Manager at Hotel Villa Mahal, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2015

Dear AnnePenrhos,

Thank you very much for sharing your ideas and giving detailed information about our hotel.

We are very proud that you felt the warmness of the staff and the hotel itself. Creating a family atmosphere has always been our aim and i see that we are successful of achieving this aspect.

We do hope to see you back in Villa Mahal in order to enjoy the hidden gem of Mediterranean together.

Cem Katadayi

Reviewed September 25, 2015 via mobile

Now that the package tour company that used this hotel has ceased trading perhaps there is a chance for the place to be much better.As an independent traveller it is frustrating to know that some rooms are pre booked for package tour guests so you do not have the choice of all rooms when booking.The rooms need a little updating as mentioned by a previous guest. The restaurant menu does not change and after ten days lunches become a little repetitive, the same can be said for the dinner menu,although the restaurant opens at 12noon for lunch whenever we went for lunch at 1pm nothing was ready and the staff seemed bored.Without the reliance on the package tour company I think the hotel needs to work harder at providing better service to compete with other 4/5 star hotels, they have a chance to make this a really special hotel but I think extra staff training is needed.

Despite all this we had a lovely time but the 220 steps from sea to the room were exhausting.It is well worth booking a massage.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Pamela009
CemKaradayi, General Manager at Hotel Villa Mahal, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2015

Dear Pamela009,

Thank you for your comments about Villa Mahal.

As you have stated, from now on, all the rooms in our hotel are available for direct bookings.

I believe that we will need some upgrades for 105 Moonlight Deluxe. On the other hand 203 Sunset Suite has been refurbished in previous years. I would like to show you some other rooms on your next visit.

Thank you for your recommendations about staff. We are working on a staff training program nowadays and this program will be implemented next season.

We hope to see you back in Villa Mahal soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2015

I travelled with a friend and we had booked a moonlight room for 2 nights at the price of 250 euros per night ! So we expected something exceptional. It turned out to be a nightmare. The room was so tiny. Just large enough for a double bed an 2 bedside tables. The bathroom was small and basic. White painted walls. No tiles on the wall. We are not allowed to put the toilet paper in the pan, we have to put it in the bin !
We were first given a noisy room close to the restaurant and asked to change. The second room was as small as the first one. The minibar and the kettle was outside the room because of the lack of space. It was worst than in a modest guesthouse that we would have paid 40 euros.
Even though We had no discount for advance purshase, they had charge the credit card at the time of the reservation, several months in advance and it was not refundable. So when I explained I felt so unconfortable
in this room and so disapointed, they did not accept to cancel the booking and give me my back.
There are many stairs to get to a small swimming pool badly maintained.
Empty bottles of water were on the floor along the swimming pool and no one there to welcome you and give you a towel. More stairs to go down to the sea. So this hotel is not suitable for people not very fit.
The breakfast is so so and they serve it at 8.30 in the morning which is far too late for me. All the more they are not ready at that time. the second day they serve a fresh orange juice which had turned bad ! When I told it to the rude man, it did not want to recognize the problem. But fortunately 3 other people complained and eventually he changed the pot of fresh orange juice.
There are no parking in the hotel which is far from the city center. The hotel is not easy to get by car because it is down a a narrow and sloping street. So you are parked on a slope. There is a taxi-boat every hour but it stops at 7 pm so if you want to have dinner in the city center we have to take a taxi to get back to the hotel..
This hotel is the worst value for money since I have been travelling.
A bad experience and I wish I had not spend so much money for this awful
room and hotel.

Room Tip: Over priced hotel. A very bad choice
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
19  Thank ALLELY M

Dear ALLELY M,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments on this platform.

We are truly sorry that you weren't pleased with your stay.

I would like to inform you that we have 5 different kinds of rooms in our hotel. The one you stayed (Moonlight Room) is the most basic room you can book. The Moonlight Room you stayed is 103 which has an interior space of 21 sqm and a terrace of 10 sqm which, we believe, has a big enough space for a boutique hotel room. If you wish to have a larger room you can always choose a higher category.

We are very proud to have more than 200 steps between the top level and beach area of the hotel as it is written on the back of our t-shirts. Walking among the olive trees and natural surroundings usually gives peaceful feelings to our guests. You can always take a break on our world famous infinity pool which is located right on the mid-way.

The breakfast is served on our terrace with a magnificent view of Mediterranean Sea between 08:30 and 10:30. Upon your request, we will only be too pleased to prepare you a breakfast plate and deliver to your room.

Overall, I would like to inform you that the room rate you paid includes the room accommodation, open buffet breakfast on our terrace which has a stunning view, the use of our beach club which has personal platforms for you to feel the privacy, the use of our infinity pool which has many international awards, the boat shuttle service which is the most reputable shuttle boat in Kalkan and the other services provided in the hotel.

We hope to see you back in Villa Mahal in order to enjoy this piece of heaven.