“what more can you ask than 5 star service and staff assistance”

Paloma Oceana Resort
Ranked #11 of 229 Hotels in Side
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Although staff do not speak much English if you try to use their names they become very friendly and are then always very attentive . This is an extremely well run hotel with very friendly staff and great management and animation teams .General Manager and his Deputy always about which keeps staff on their toes Good to see management eating in the buffet restaurants If food was not up to standard then it was taken off and replaced . One tip most guests seemed to eat early at dinner 7pm so staff tended to start removing food by 8.30pm so suggest start eating before then . Beach brilliant and beach bar staff great . Fish restaurant very good We will be back

Room Tip: Main block rooms 2000 to 2200 air con not great but leaving air con all day helped. Refit will help...
2  Thank martyn s

Reviewed 1 September 2011

We've spent 3 weeks in this hotel starting late May through the end of June this year, 2011. It was a first hotel in the transfer route so we got there in an hour and a half from the airport which was nice after spending several hours in flight.

Lots of plants and flowers on the territory. Nice patio at the lobby so you could have a drink while waiting for check-in. No bracelets or other marks were required to wear, nither in the restaurant nor on the beach. In the mean time no strangers were allowed on the territory due to good work of guards. Restaurants (one big, couple of smaller, a barbeque cafe close to the beach) are pretty good. By the end of our stay meals started to seem boring but that's quite understandable, right? Anyway, cooks are doing good job. Lots of green fresh vegetables, some of them are grown on their own farm. I would suggest more variety of cereals for mornings as there are lots of kids there. I think oat meals is not enough, there should be something more so you could find new meals every day on the course of a week for your kids (who would basically be more picky in meals). Choice for us was in this situation between scrambled eggs and oatmeal. You will find microwave and a blender in the restaurant which saved us several times (because of the kid). Lots of desserts. Several types of meat and one-two - of fish. For grown up kids there is a table with noodles, fries and sausages. I would not call it right food for kids but.. what would they choose anyway nowadays?

Nice clean pools - one for kids, 43 cm deep, another one - big - just beside it and another one within 50 meters - with water slopes. BTW slopes are very safe - I enjoyed it with my kid, you could stop moving with your legs stuck to the sides. In the mean time you could have a good speed if you want.

Beach is clean, the sea - as well. There is no fences limiting the beach for hotels so you can stroll and walk and run along the beach anywhere. Lots of sea sports - parachutes, bananas, jetski. You can take a trip to see sea turtles and if you have luck your boat driver would be able to incidentally find one in the water :)

Animation - quite good. Lots of activities all over the day. Nice friendly staff. Multi language - russian, english, german, french. Johnny is a local star :) Painting, bingo, sports, beach games, etc. Mini-disco every evening. Kids really rule there! Lasts about two hours. There are also pool tables, and several slots machines - see-sawing cars for kids, a basketball game, air hockey, and computer games - socker, fighting etc.

Rooms are good enough. Cleaning every day. Old TVs with primarily German channels. There are bungalows and a three floor building. In bungalows - stone floor which was too cold to step on with your bare feet, especially if you a kid. But you can use air cooling any time. In the main building - carpet floors, but conditioner works only 5 to 10 PM! So you need to find what you need more :) Another suggestion for the management is to make balcony bars closer to each other, because now they leave enough width for a kid to sleep through. The hotel will be reconstructed and renovated during this winter so probably they will change this as well.

Overall we spent a very good time there. It was no problem to move to the main building. Nice food. Good pools. Clean sea and beach. I look forward to get there once again definitely.

Room Tip: See the review - there are couple of things to help you choose between bungalows and main building.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dmitry1976
Reviewed 27 August 2011

i stayed at the hotel from the 8th to 22nd aug with my 2 kids.the staff were great. i have to say serhan,oscar,basok,gozde.were fab. gozde was fantastic at her job and great with people doing aerobics and botcha games.they were great and the hotel should be proud of them, chris from southport

1  Thank chrishardy65
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The positives...

- the majority of the hotel staff were friendly and helpful, especially the pool bar staff and photography crew
- the entertainment provided by the Palomotion team was excellent and the staff clearly enjoyed their jobs. My wife really enjoyed Gozde's water aerobics
- hotel very clean
- beach area very clean - no litter or seaweed
- hotel food is good, especially the fish
- lots of water sports
- location is good
- our kids made loads of friends and had a great time
- my wife and I had a very enjoyable and relaxing time (didn't see the kids very often!)

The negatives...

- Hotel is tired looking but being completely refurbished from October.
- Some receptionists were unhelpful
- Need to get towels down around the pool by about 8am otherwise you need to use the beach

Would we go back - yes we would......

3  Thank The_N_Londoners
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We are just back from a fantastic two week holiday at this great Resort. We only booked 6 weeks prior to departure and I was a little bit apprehensive but on arrival my worries disappeared.
We arrived at 6am very tired and was greeted by friendly reception and porter who quickly showed us to our room pointing out the restaurant on the way!
The room was on the ground floor overlooking the main swimming pool. It was a good size for the 3 of us and we were surprised that my daughter had an actual bed instead of the usual camp bed. They were the comfiest beds we have ever experienced in our 6th year to Turkey. There was plenty of storage space and cupboards and a good size toilet with a great walk in shower, Air conditioning and safe box (which you DONT have to pay extra for) and a well stocked mini bar made this a very clean pleasant room for our stay. There was daily maid service and towel change was great. They work very hard to keep the place spotless.
The swimming pool was of a good size and there was also a smaller pool with 2 slides (great for little kids and big kids!). My only complaint was the 'bagging' of sunbeds. Some people must get up at 4am just to reserve a sunbed!
We ended up spending a good bit our time on the beautiful beach. Plenty of sunbeds and shades there plus space around each one (not jam packed as is often the case). The beach was clean, the water was warm and there was a great beach bar doing fantastic snacks and drinks all day long. The crepe lady was pretty good too!
Animation team at Paloma beach is amazing. They are a great bunch of people who work from morning till night including everyone off all ages in the many activities: water polo, darts, archery. table tennis, water aerobics, yoga, step aerobics to name but a few.
Our daughter went to their amazing Polly Kids club. Jonny and Seren who looked after the children there are 2 of the hardest working children's reps I have ever come across. 2 sessions daily 10 - 12.30 and 3 till 5.30. Activities were well planned pirate date, indiana day, banana boat trip, kite flying, beach day (just a small selection of lots more!) Every day our daughter was happy to go and Jonny and Seren always had big smiles and hugs for all the children. It really made our daughters holiday.
Some evenings they even took all the kids to their own table in the restaurant which was lovely!
The food was delicious and well presented in a spotless restaurant. There is something for everyone. They even have some of their own organic products! Waiters were superb and always topping up your wine glass!
The entertainment was really good in the evening with varied shows of a good quality. Their was always a kids disco before which the children enjoyed. One evening the Plly Kids club done a show with all the children. This was great fun. The show finished around 1030 and sometimes there was live music in the bar area until midnight, Then it all goes quiet - lovely - except their is a disco for those who have any energy left.
We had the beach bbq one evening with our own bbq at the table and this one of highlights.
Paloma beach is a very safe, very friendly and an ideal resort for families. They are refurbishing for 2012 and it looks just out of this world.
We will certainly consider going back and if there is anything I haven't covered in this review feel free to email me!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Lizamac3
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Having read one of the previous reviews on this site on the day I was due to fly to Paloma Beach Resort, I was a little apprehensive.... however, all worries disappeared once we'd got into the resort.

To set the scene, single dad with two kids (girl 12, boy 15) first holiday abroad for 12 years - previous summers we were to be found in a tent in soggy Cornwall!

We got to the resort at 3am, quickly checked in and shown to our room via the restaurant. We were allocated room 826, overlooking the main pool. Marble floor, double bed, single bed and a chair that converted to a single bed. Bath room was clean, sink, toilet and decent sized shower (I'm 6'3"!). Small balcony, containing two plastic chairs and a small table.

After a few hours sleep, we showered and ventured out to explore our new home for a week. Up for breakfast, we were astounded by the amount of food available, something that never ceased to amaze me. As we discovered, food was available EVERYWHERE at most times of the day - be it in the restaurant or at one of the bars. All the food was well prepared and well presented with choices available to suite palates of all ages and tastes.

Whether it was pancakes at 12, cooked fresh roast chicken at 1.30, jacket potates at 4, we were never hungry. For dinner, we ate at the restaurant and generally ate in the outside seating area where the food was even more plentiful - pasta dishes cooked for you fresh, grilled meat, rice dishes, plenty of fish.... the works. Whilst I can appreciate some comments about the food being "samey" day in day out, there was enough choice for us for seven days of eating without boredom setting in.

There were plenty of activities to do regardless of your age - from yoga in the morning to more strenuous excersise in an afternoon - beach volleyball, football and water polo. At this point I think its a good time to mention those Brits (of which there were plenty at the resort) that made a single dad and his kids feel very welcome - Kevin, Scott, Barry, Richard, Bruno and their respective other halves and families, as well as Emma and her family and Victoria and her kids. Friends that were made during some hectic water polos games - we all had a great laugh playing hard and drinking.. .well, not so hard even though its was all free! Yes, there were plenty of Germans, Russians etc there too, but at no point did the British feel pushed out (by either the foreign guests or the resort staff) and we certainly weren't treated as 5th class citizens during announcements...

If I had to pick any negatives - I could hear the disco from my room - music played til around two in the morning, although it never seemed to disturb the kids sleep nor mine. Also, comments about the sun beds being taken very early are true too, but if you can't beat them get outta bed early and join them!

As mentioned in other reviews, the resort is due a rebuild during the closed season - it looks a big project to complete in 6 months and I'm not sure I'd book for next year, it may be two years before it sees me and my family again. Based on the plans and the room that I saw, it will be a fantastic resort though. If you've booked for next year you shouldn't be disappointed providing its completed.

Other stuff that have already been mentioned in previous reviews - the beach is fab, plenty of sunbeds available around, with plenty of space between plots. The "professional" evening acts were excellent, the Paloma-led evening shows were quite poor....I'd suggest a trip into Kumkoy or Side on those nights!

Finally, I changed most of my Sterling in Turkey, getting 2.70 TL to the £1. I also used Abdullah (you can find his number in some of the Forum postings) to book the Turkish bath (25 Euros per person for 2.5 hours - sauna, bath, massage, facial...) - we went to Kumkoy Wellness Centre, taxi'd to and from the door - if you google it, you could book direct.

All in all, we had a great holiday... We will be back (just not next year!)

Richard, Azura and Matthew.

Room Tip: Get up early if you want to secure sunbeds round the pool. Try avoid the hotel rooms - they are mor...
1  Thank BCFC56-YNWA
Reviewed 6 August 2011

From the moment we arrived to moment we left the place rocked thanks to the work of their excellent staff.
On day 1 we met the Palomotion team lead by Hakan. They entertained us from 10am to Midnight every day without fail.
Serhan was in charge of the sports team who worked tirelessly throughout the day getting everyone involved in the many sports activities. My children loved the enthusiasm of Oscar, Godze and Basak who laid on Waterpolo, Beach Volleyball, Airgun, Boccia, Darts and a pool game each lunchtime.
My wife got to do Aquafit, Step, Pilates, Yoga with Godze, Basak and Marina which she loved thanks mainly to their motivation to get people to do a workout in that heat!!!
Jonny and the rest of the Palomotion team worked with the smaller children on activities all day and although my kids were to old to do this the smiles on all those children doing it told me that it was of the same equally high standard of service that we were having.
During our meal times the Palomotion team would come into the restaurant, sit and eat with the holiday makers and their families adding even more value to our experience.
The evening entertainment was also top drawer including; fire breathing, shaolin kung fu monks, gymnastics and much more. The Palomotion team even did their own take on many famous singers/dancers one night that had us all rolling around laughing for days to come. The last night we had a beach disco with the Palomotion team that just finished the perfect week in style!!! The staff even stayed up until 4am to wave goodbye as our coach left.
The staff at the Paloma Beach Resort in Side certainly went the extra mile to make it unforgettable for my family and I. We would recommend them to anyone looking for a holiday with people who really care about each holiday maker as individuals wanting the best out of their time in Turkey.

1  Thank Rich19Boy