“Pity about the beds”
Review of Palmin Hotel

Palmin Hotel
Ranked #11 of 156 Hotels in Kusadasi
Reviewed 1 May 2012

If you want to feel you are abroad, then don't come here. On the other hand, if you feel comfortable being surrounded by fellow Irishmen and women this is the place for you. It seems to concentrate on tour operators from Dublin, and are gearted towards their needs.
Breakfast is a bit nhit and miss, and could be a lot better with very little effort. Why not some more fresh fruit and juice?? But there's enough to satisfy and after all its not charging 5* prices. Dinner is generally very good and provides quality and variety....lovely sitting out at a table in the gardens in a sultry evening, while being serenaded by live musicians.
Its a good location if you wish to visit local attractions....ie Ephesis etc, and there's a beautiful beach...Lady's beach... about 15mins walk away. But beware of the uphill climb back to the hotel. Transporty is very convenient with regular buses into the town centre.
The Main criticism is the difficulty in sleeping due to the concrete hard beds....not my imagination, as everyone was remarking on them. Many residents had improved the situation by putting extra blankets under the bottom sheet to soften the experience.
This hotel is not situated along a tourist strip...its pretty much located in a residential area, and its wonderful to observe the locals living close by going about their normal business...tending their gardens, caring for their children, eating outside etc etc.
One word of caution...be careful exiting the hotel as its pretty much at a road junction, and like everywhere else, cars, buses etc travel at high speed, ofter heedless of pedestrians emerging from the hotel.
Overall, a more than acceptable hotel, and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't know if the mattresses have improved, but ask to check before taking up residence
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Julianna462

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This is the most awful place to stay. No air con throughout the hotel. Curtains falling off windows. Grubby carpets. Food trays not collected from room and when left outside riddled with ants. Staff friendly enough but all ladies are called "HONEY". Food very poor and overpriced. On BBQ nights food is taken out to the pool at 4pm and left in the heat until at least 10pm when guests have eaten. I had a bad dose of deli belly after eating dinner and had to spend the day in my room. This hotel only caters for Irish and we had to listen to "WHEN I FELL IN LOVE WITH A GALWAY GIRL" being bellowed out in a turkish accent 7 nights a week at 12.30am when trying to sleep. This was called entertainment. Don't bother going - you will be very disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
11  Thank GayeDublin
Reviewed 24 February 2012

we stayed here last year june and had the best hoilday staff were lovely and very helpful. i would live to stay again but that have gone all inclusive and so we are staying at the sea pearl instead this year hope it is as good as the palmin as it is a sister hotel.

Room Tip: we had a connecting room as we had two kids and had loads of room with two bathroom which was great...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank emmad8
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have stayed in the Palmin four times over the past 10 years and have enjoyed each and every visit. (However the last time I stayed was in 2010). 10 Years ago the hotel was hopping - busy nightclub and pool bar however in 2010 I found it to be a lot quieter( guest numbers - I think this was due to it being exclusively sold to the Irish market.) They have now changed their policy and are opening their market to other nationalities.

Anyway, I have always found the staff to be helpful and polite.

Rooms were always kept to a high standard. With all the cream marble around the hotel which makes it is very difficult to hide dirt.

I have used the laundry service on occasions. I do remember feeling like this was a bit pricy at the time.

I have had rooms on both sides of the hotel and even though the pool view is more scenic I found the back view of the mountains and sea in the evening quite serene too. You will also not get disturbed by entertainment at the back if you are sensitive to noise.

Pool restaurant was adequate for lunches (chips, burgers, omelets etc.) greasy spoon type of food. I will say the Buffet for the Turkish night (Wednesday I think) is well worth staying in the hotel for. I would normally head into Kusadasi or to Ladies Beach to eat in the evenings... I'm not the type of person who can travel to a country and just stay in the Hotel 24/7.

We did eat in the restaurant and have ordered room service which was quite good I remember quite a good pizza. I know that the restaurant caters for many different cuisines but it is a bit overpriced.

Definitely better than its sister hotel the Sea Pearl - didn’t hate the sea pearl just didn’t enjoy it as much as the Palmin.

I'm not too fond of organized entertainment but the staff do try their best to get you involved.

Pool area kept well - I do remember the slide only being turned on when there was a life guard on duty, which was for about an hour in the morning and the evening.

Overall I would recommend the Palmin.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank MammyG
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend in June and we were pleasantly surprised as we did not think we would get something so nice for what we paid. The area was nice, the hotel was lovely and the room was clean and comfortable. The staff at the hotel were very helpful too. I would definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: Try request a high floor, as there is poolside entertainment that can be loud.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sran_Sran
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed there last august (2011). Before we went there I've read a lot of reviews and most of them were negative. I must admit we were positevely disapointed when we arrived. I think that if you are a negative person, you will have a negative experience there. If you are a positive person, you will have a positive experience.

Our room was very clean and spacious. Air condicionig was working perfectly. Hotel is just 5 min walk from Ladys Beach where u can find everything- nice restaurants, cheap pubs or u can book guided tour from private company (its way cheaper then hotels offert. We went to Ephesus, Pammukale and water|).
In front of the hotel is a taxi and bus stop so u can go to town centre for shopping which absolutely unreal!
Outside pool was great and water was very warm. Hotel offers gym facilities,sauna/steam room and spa services.
We didnt eat very often in a hotel but wednesday barbeque was really nice. Breakfast is the same everyday but u can choose from cereals, cheese, meats, fruit and an omelette bar.
Staff were always very nice and helpful if you need anything.
U can bring whatever u want to the hotel and we never had bags searched!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank plitusek
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Palmin Hotel last October (2011) for a two week stay. My review is prompted really; to give balance to recent reviews. I can see how they would be very positive and I would have said the same except for when you have a problem and Rhonan gets involved. He is one of the managers.

Before I booked the Palmin, I read the reviews and ignored the the best & the worse 10%. They could have been submitted by family; friends; competition or enemies.Then I looked for key positive and negative patterns with the remaining 80% and decided the good out-weighted the bad and booked.

Overall the service staff (all depts) could not have been more friendly; helpful or courteous. They applied their skills with dedication and enthusiasm ; which is surprising as it was the end of the season. Their hours are extensive; with no overtime rates; throughout the season. They appeared to be working 12 hour shifts plus. They had to be drained at this stage.

The buffet is standard fare; very similar each day. You could work around the breakfast buffet and pick out a couple of regular reliables. Mine was fruit; which diminished in the second week and omelettes as long as you ignored the "ham". Keeping in mind that it is a 220 bedroom hotel; there was one omelette operator; with one pan; on one gas ring. Fried eggs were not available. Due to torrential rain the first night we eat in ( buffet) for dinner. It was our only experience by choice. Prices were excessive for the standard of food and wine on offer.

We opted for a room at the back of the hotel fearing the late night noise factor reported in some reviews, for the pool side, which did not materialise as it was end of season. The plus for the back was that we had the sun all day; from sunrise to sunset. The housing complex that you look out on; are actually holiday homes but look domestic and well lived in. There is an extra charge for the pool view rooms on the opposite side but because of the height of the hotel; it cast a long shadow and the temp was lower there. I only observed a few people on the pool side balconies over the two weeks and they were dressed. It's a question of which time of year is best to have a pool view or not. Perhaps in the very hot weather; the cool of your balcony might be very welcome retreat.

Our room was spacious and serviced daily. The beds were "industrial" and hard. The bathroom was also spacious and acceptable except for the combined bath and shower should have been replaced years ago. Either the plastic form of the bath base had weakned or it was incorrectly fitted in the first place (gravity problem); thus retaining water at the opposite end to the water outlet. In addition there appeared to be layer after layer of polymer sealant excessively applied to the bath surround, with little appreciation of appearance. Bath stoppers were available from reception by request ; being a Muslim country (according to our tourist guide). Bathing in contained water would appear to be unclean?

The one major problem of our holiday was in relation to the shower head in our bathroom and the way it was handled by Rhonan, the Manager (Irishman). From previous negative reviews; he lived up to his reputation and was immediately identifiable. Some reviews linked him directly to the family of the Irish owner; which could account for his privilaged position.

What started out as a simple request to the receptionist (at reception) to have the shower head replaced by the maintenance dept; as it was obviously very clogged from the hard water supply over the years; which resulted in a very weak flow of water. Rhonan happened to be on my side of the reception counter, interviened to ask what the problem was; having repeated my explaination; he insisted he needed to investigate the issue in our bathroom. I repeated the problem of the hard water effect blocking the holes of the shower head. No that was not good enough reason; he had to investigate personally to establish the real problem.

To cut a long storey short; standing in our bathroom having examined the shower head and it's adjustment button; he insisted there was no problem with the shower head. Earlier that day we availed of the indoor pool and taking a shower afterwards in the mens dressing room, I noticed that the force of the water in the shower head was a "thousand times" better than our shower. I queried it with the other men present as to how it compared with their room showers and they all agreed it was comparable. So I decided to request reception to have their maintenance man replace the head. What started out with a simple request at reception re a problem shower head; ended up in a shouting match concluding with me demanding that he immediately leave our room.

The real problem now was a management handling problem; in which intimidation appeared to be the primary way of quickly making problems disappear; at least with Rhonan. He picked on the wrong guy.

In the course of our heated discussions he had indicated that there was no spare parts on site and that it could be a day or two to get one. He almost appeared to want to drag out the problem. Forty five minutes later a maintenance man replaced the shower head and flexible hose. Two minutes to unscrew the old and replace with the new; perfect shower; problem solved. Pity Rhonan could not be replaced in the same manner.

Pity really because it exposed a very serious problem at management level. In fifty years of international travel for both business and pleasure, I never experienced anything like it. Rhonan urgently requires exposure to international hotel management standards and training in self-awarness. It's sad really because of the good work done by all of the other staff without exception; to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Then one incompetent manager can destroy it all; one who should be setting the example and know better. He could learn a lot from the service staff in customer relations; they work hard to keep the standards up.

Overall the structure of the hotel build, is to international standards and well laid out. Available space is maximised and fully utilised. On our first night torrential rain flooded our bathroom floor; gushing in through the frame of the window; which had layers of white sealant about an inch wide to fill a gap where a replacement window was obviously measured incorrectly when fitted. To be fair; I reported the problem immediately that night. Maintenance had it resealed effectively the following morning. There was a drain-off for water in the bathroom floor, which prevented further damage and contained the flooding.

Daily cleaning procedures ensure that hygiene standards are well maintained in all areas of the hotel. Entertainment is 90% amateurish; long drawn out activities that test your sanity; more like "parlour games". The remaining 10% are local acts going from hotel to hotel. We only remained in on torrential rain nights.

Eat in Sarray or Kully, a new restrauant directly opposite the new marina in Kusadasi. If they organise your complimentary collection and return like Sarray; you then have the two top eating spots and need look no further. Prices are no more expensive than lesser eateries; maybe a little but their standards are way above the others.

The local minibus service which stops outside the entrance is an effective and economic way of getting around. Frequency is every five min approx; great way of mixing in with the locals.

The town centre is awash with shops. Leather goods; jewellery and carpets for all budgets. Best advice; customer beware; be sure before you part with your cash; be alert. High end shops located nearest the cruise terminal. Male dominated town. The marketing strategy or "hassle" on the streets; is good natured; friendly and respectful.

If they twig you are Irish; they go to great lengths to expose their wealth of knowledge on every cross road junction from Malin Head in Donegal to Carnsore Point in Wexford. They have the street names of every large housing estate in Dublin.

What more can I say. I have found the reviews to be an overall accurate reflection of the Palmin Hotel. Subtract the most positive and negative reviews and you will get an accurate reflection from the rest. Key pros and cons tend to be repeated and thus highlighted. We availed of a good end of season offer; in very acceptable accomodation and surroundings.

Like the torrential rain; an incopetent manager can spoil what would otherwise have been a very enjoyable holiday. You work your way around them at the time but remember them long after to prevent future dissappointments. I have tried to give you a balanced review; highlighting the key pros & cons of the Palmin. Being aware is being prepared. The hotel has great potential but direct family management can have its problems.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple