“lackluster service and food, but clean”

Executive Airport Hotel
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Entebbe
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“lackluster service and food, but clean”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I had quite a hard time getting the waitress' attention, despite the fact that the restaurant wasn't full. The food was fine, but nothing to write home about. Then, upon checkout, they forgot to charge me for the dinner that I had billed to my room. The receptionist then called the driver as he was taking me to the airport to chastise me for what she understood to be my oversight in not realizing the error. The place was clean and close to the airport, but it was more of a Best Western-type experience than anything memorable. I probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Dantee3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel, on and off for the last three years. The team are incredibly friendly and cannot do enough for you. The rooms are exceptionally good, very clean and well kept. The food is fine and a mixture of local and international and the bar is well stocked.
It is the done thing to eat in the garden in the evening and chill with a cold beer.
I think the hotel offers great value for money compared to the others in the area, OK so you dont get the view of the lake, however, you do get great service, value for money and a much better standard of accomodation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank andy m
London UK
Reviewed 22 April 2012

A good place to stay near teh airport. Food fine and rooms comfortable. Staff excellent

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex H
Olympia, WA
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel quite near the Entebbe Airport. The staff are extremely kind and helpful, the rooms and bathrooms are very comfortable, the laundry service (while not particularly cheap) is the fastest I received in all of Uganda, and the food was fine. The garden area is a lovely place to spend a few restful hours away from the hub-bub of urban Uganda.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JLK9
West Olive
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed here for a little over 3 weeks in October. We arrived late at night and the driver was there to meet us as promised. The staff on check in was nice and helpful. When making reservations, I had made a few special requests to help with our stay. When we got to our room, everything was there as we had asked. While this is clearly not a 3 or 4 star hotel by US standards, I would put the kindness and friendliness of the staff up against any hotel I have stayed before. My wife and I truly loved getting to know each of them and quite frankly, remain in contact with some of them to this day.
Lunches in their courtyard were beautiful experiences for us.
We were in Uganda to adopt a baby boy. The staff took to him immediately and helped us in numerous ways, in our new role as parents of this little guy.
If you come to this hotel, which we would recommend, simply keep your mind open. As a Westerner, it won't be what you would expect. But, if you allow yourself to embrace the culture and people of Uganda, you will find your experience at this hotel to be a wonderful experience. We sure did.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MichiganDale
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Someone needs to pound it in the heads of African owned businesses that when even basic amenities cannot be provided you cannot expect to give an excuse or explanation or lie to the customer while still collecting the full rate. That is exactly what I encountered at this place. It was my second stay, and the great reviews are still a mystery to me. The place is $65 a night, a great price for the area. Airport pick up and drop off are great, even though it is just a 5 minute haul; staff is friendly; they will make you a breakfast and even bring it to the room; It is sad for them that they have to incur the wrath of customers when they are expected to collect full money while expecting customers to understand their point of view for not being able to provide ELECTRICITY??? Yes, the government can't keep power on for any one day, but they knew that going into the hotel business and had an obligation to have a working generator. I got back to the hotel after spending two portions of the previous two days with long uncorrected outages only to discover that they fully expected me to cheerfully enter a dark, mosquito buzzing room with no electricity and no prospect for any solution for the entire night. A long boring night with no internet, electricity, working restaurant, and not even a word from the clerk but to hand me a key as if everything was normal. If you want to risk it, you will get a cheap but decent room with decent linen, mosquito net, and internet that works about half of the time with normal erratic speed. The A/C is a waste of time. After the entire night the best it could do was keep the room at 76 degrees. For the last two days, I moved to a pleasant place after the first four in this catastrophe. So much for trying to support an African owned business. I am choosing comfort over altruism in future.

Room Tip: If you are alone, the single room is fine. Price is good and room size and bed size are great. Place...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank doctorbird41
Meredith, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I've now stayed at the Executive Airport Hotel twice in 2011. The first time during an 18-day service trip and most recently for 10 days. During both trips, we went and stayed elsewhere in Uganda and Kenya, and each time I breathed a sigh of relief when we returned to this hotel.

The accommodations are basic, but you have consistent electricity (thanks to a back-up generator), hot water, Wi-Fi, television, A/C and kind and cheerful staff. Breakfast is included, as well as pick up and drop off at the airport.

The property is like a haven, with a peaceful garden, great outdoor tables, and a serious guarded gate. It's a very popular location for people arriving and leaving Uganda due to its convenient proximity to the airport and its reliability.

When I return to Uganda in 2012, we will stay here again. Dennis is a treasure. And owner Godfrey is committed to continual improvement of his property and customer service.

The hotel is perfect if you're arriving late at night or departing early in the morning and is completely suitable for those traveling on business. Because of the volume of people checking in for one night like that, you also get ample opportunity for the serendipitous meeting of very interesting people from around the world. That adds to the appeal of this very Western-style, well-maintained hotel.

Mosquito nets in every room, though I never noticed any bug issues while there. Maybe all the geckos eat them. :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business