“Survives & Thrives”

The Stephen Talkhouse
Reviewed September 4, 2016 via mobile

As the East End has become much more of a year-round community, the Talkhouse benefits. Great Acts, easy access, online tickets and a friendly staff.

Summer is too, too much of a scene when the young, house-share-types converge, however post-Labour Day it's great for everyone and attracts a fun, mixed crowd who all enjoy the music and the scene. WAY better than the EH and SH clubs that attract the same, old Manhattan club crowd - we rate them a "1".

So check the Talkhouse site and score some tix for a local joint w local flair and top talent.

Reviewed July 26, 2016

This place is the best. Intimate, small casual. Great musical guests. So small it really allows the performer to develop a relationship with the audience. Young, old, this place is great if you love music. And it always has an interesting lineup of artists.

Reviewed August 24, 2015

The Stephen Talkhouse is such an awesome place to hear music. They usually have 2 bands, and early show and then another band after. We stayed for both and both shows were awesome, but totally different crowds. The first show was a little older crowd and the second show was much younger, but just as fun. Friends have seen famous folks show up to play. We love this place so much, we now make it an annual event.

Reviewed July 12, 2015

I understand that many a famous artist have played at this venue, but only a local musician was there the night we went. The bar was so crowded that you could not turn around without someone knocking into your extremely overpriced drink. There was some sort of brawl out front, which we were told was fairly common.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 25, 2014

This place would thrive just by location, location, location. In the summer, Hamptons see-and-be seeners would show up, pay most any price to see most any artist. The Talkhouse could just coast and succeed on momentum...but they don't. I'm on the email list of 15-20 music venues. Only one asks my opinion (the Talkhouse) in their "would you pay X to see (pick an artist) to perform". I'm sure it's a useful tool for them and keeps me engaged. Their annual Wounded Warrior Benefit is a wonderful cause and they are commended for their effort. What prompts me to write this today is the exceptional treatment we received last night when we went to see THIRD WORLD perform. We showed up early hoping to get one of the scarce seats at the bar. The Manager told us that we didn't need to wait on line and that she would put a reserved sign on the seats that we wanted. When I attempted to tip her upon entry, she simply would not accept it. We spent an hour at the back bar and the bartender there was great. With the band doing a soundcheck an hour before the doors were opened, I entered through an open door (by the back bar) and stood on the side to listen. Most places would have had me leave,...no one said a word to me. When we did enter and sat at our "reserved seats" two bartenders asked our names and remembered them the whole night. As for the place itself, it's old, has character and charm and it's a bar so people will tend to talk. The sound is scaled well for the room. They book great acts and price them fairly. It's just a landmark place and a cultural icon. Long live Stephen Talkhouse...and thanks for your hospitality.