“Hai Van Pass bike tour”

Hoi An Motorbike Adventures
Ranked #21 of 182 Outdoor Activities in Hoi An
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: See the real Vietnam with Hoi An Motorbike Adventures! Get off the beaten tourist track and experience the real Vietnam first hand. Our motorcycle and Jeep tours enable you to leave the tourist trail behind and see parts of Vietnam that few other travellers get to see. Riding a motorbike or travelling in a Jeep brings you closer to the real Vietnam. The motorbike is the number-one form of transport in Vietnam, and as you high-five local children as you ride through their villages, you'll be happy you decided not to travel by car. Stop where you want, when you want. You don't have to be a motocross champion either. Our tours can be tailored to every level of experience, from non-riders who can ride as pillion passengers to off-road riders who are looking for a real challenge. Motorcycle tours are flexible by nature - you can take one road or another, depending on what the group wants to ride. Our rides run from half a day to a week, and the possibilities are endless.
Reviewed November 17, 2015 via mobile

We went on a bike tour with Hawk yesterday over the Hi Van Pass.
We had a really good day.
Everything was well organised from start to finish. My husband was on a semi automatic scooter and I was on the back of a motorbike, driven by a local guy.
We felt really well looked after and safe at all times. They are really concerned about safety which is a big plus in Asia.
Hawk is a great guide. Really knowledgable and easy to chat to.
The Hai Van Pass in beautiful and we stopped there for some tasty baguettes. Stops enough along the way to give your backside a rest too.
Highly recommend them. Nothing to complain about at all.

Date of experience: November 2015
Write a ReviewReviews (1,508)
All reviews
"half day tour"
in 134 reviews
"real vietnam"
in 120 reviews
"higher than hai van pass"
in 50 reviews
in 22 reviews
"amazing adventure"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed November 10, 2015

A plume of blue exhaust smoke from a Russian Minsk 2 stroke of questionable vintage revealed the location of Mark, our Aussie guide, in the distance. For some reason his bike was smoking more than the others on this ride, which was a good thing if you were inclined to be interested in not getting lost.
My travelling buddy Dion, and I, had booked the day long ride with Hoi An Motorbike Adventures prior to arriving from Canada and largely based on the Tripadvisor comments.
We both own modern BMW motorcycles at home so throwing a leg over the old mighty Minsk 125cc 2 stroke with no instrumentation and kick start came with a bit of a learning curve. In fact it gave the phrase, 'Smokin', a whole new meaning. However, once we had ridden a few miles I got used to the fact that apparently during the assembly of these bikes back in dear old Belarus, torque values, tolerances and other engineering minutiae were just suggestions. No matter, by the end of the day I'd grown very fond of Ivan or was it Ivana?
Along the way we encountered Buddhist temples, rice paddies (out of season), burial places, authentic Vietnamese food, the best Vietnamese coffee I've ever tasted, (actually the only Vietnamese coffee I've ever tasted), floating bridges,some challenging off road sections of sand and mud, an abandoned USMC base at An Hoa (only the runway left), water buffalo and a trip with your motorcycle by canoe across a river. Eat your heart out Ewan and Charley! You're not going to find a days entertainment like that in too many places.
An excellent day's adventure and highly recommended if you find your self in Hoi An - or even if you don't.

Date of experience: October 2015
2  Thank cymro1949
Reviewed November 6, 2015 via mobile

Travelling Vietnam with my family and me and my dad did this day trip to get away from the girls. They had the option of an automatic scooter if you can't ride a motorbike but the motorbikes are simple to ride. A cool day out checking out rice fields etc and stoping and drinking local coffee along the way.

Date of experience: July 2015
Reviewed November 5, 2015 via mobile

We had a wonderful day with Tony. He was informative, relaxed and fun. It was enjoyable sitting with Tony and Tien (sorry about the spelling) between sites chatting about life in Vietnam.

I felt like we saw the far corners of Vietnam on this trip. We saw historical sites, beautiful scenery and enjoyed traditional food.

Although this tour is a little expensive by Vietnam your standards I would definitely recommend this company. This is definitely a case of getting what you pay for. Professional staff and everything inclusive.

There were enough breaks that your bottom doesn't get too sore. Anyone who knows how uncomfortable a whole day of motorbike riding can become will appreciate this.

The wet weather gear is great quality and included in the tour. So great that you aren't all that bothered by the rain. It will inevitably rain at some time throughout the day if you visit Vietnam during the wet season.

I rode pillion on the back with my husband driving. He is a real bike junkie so I will let him express his love of the motorbike on his own review. But, from the point of a non-bike enthusiast, I had an absolute ball!!

I felt truly immersed in Vietnam during this tour. Thank you!

Date of experience: November 2015
See more reviews
Reviewed November 4, 2015

Six day monkey madness tour. This is without a doubt, the best activity I've ever spent my money on. It was made plain that the Minsk motorcycles were very far from modern and had "character". Modern Japanese bikes are also available. I chose to ride a Minsk the whole time and absolutely loved it. If you aren't up for the vagaries of an old two-stroke Soviet era bike, then go for something modern, but IMO, you're missing out if you do, the Minsks are a hoot and huge fun on the roads in question.

The riding was interesting from start to finish, frequently the most fun I've had with my clothes on, scenery spectacular, tour guides and support crew simply outstanding, food, accommodation and side visits all excellent. I could eulogise about the whole thing from now until Christmas and still not be finished. If you are a biker and think you might like this, do it, it will knock your socks off. Massive thanks to all involved: Lee, Mark and Leanne and crew - I simply couldn't have enjoyed it more.

Date of experience: October 2015