“Pretty Mediocre ”

White Sail Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #128 of 976 Restaurants in Hoi An
Price range: US$2 - US$15
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, View, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2017 via mobile

I visited this restaurant after reading the reviews as I simply love the way that seafood is spiced and flavoured in authentic Vietnamese cuisine. What I ended up with on my plate was actually a world away from what I'd read in the reviews. As mentioned by previous reviews, they have an impressive Vietnamese and Asian clientele. Whether this means that they do not have to worry so much about the impression they leave on 'foreign' customers or they water down the spices and flavouring in the dishes for what they assume a 'foreign' palate prefers, I do not know, but my dish was bland and, for what I received, overpriced even by tourist prices. Only having a short stop of 5 days in Hoi An, I am disappointed that I wasted one of my meals on eating here when there are so many other great options, local or not, around town. Other reviews have mentioned that there are two prices, one for tourists and another for locals. While this doesn't bother me so much, what does is the price against the quality of the dish and the flavours. This is actually the most expensive meal I have had in my past 15 days in Vietnam and definitely the most disappointing. Unless you are going with a local person or don't really like a lot of flavour in your meals, I'd probably recommend you try somewhere else.

1  Thank SellarsAbroad

Reviewed February 26, 2017

A hard to find restaurant that is very much frequented by the locals. The food is very good but be advised the setting is well, local. Great value.

Reviewed November 26, 2016 via mobile

The fact that it was mainly locals eating there was a good indication that it was authentic Vietnamese food. The fish and shellfish were live in tanks and cooked to order. We had fresh crab hot pot which was delicious but a bit of a challenge to eat with chopsticks. Really reasonable prices.

Reviewed September 28, 2016 via mobile

I and my wife visited this restaurant after meeting with some local people, they told us this is the best restaurant for seafood.
We went there for lunch, they have variety of fishes and crabs live, one can choose what they want.
The food was excellent, and it is not at all expensive as most of the seafood speciality restaurant.
The ambiance is very basic but great food.
Worth visiting.

Reviewed August 21, 2016 via mobile

We took a while to find it. The restaurant had moved. The bar at the old location gave us directions. But alas we ran out of memory. Found ourselves back at the old location again. because locals sent us back there. Finally the bar maid explained the way again. Joy
I have a big appetite. Can't understand three Sml serves reported in some reviews. We had crispy squid, fried rice, Smokey eggplant, green mango salad, spring rolls , beer and green coconut all for $24 aust
The service was quick. They moved a fan closer to us for comfort. The food was great. The restaurant was full of Vietnamese we were the token westerners.
One negative.Vietnamese smoke. A LG percentage. Fortunately most of the restaurant is open air