“Wonderful location and it's the real deal”
Review of Sea and Sand Hotel

Sea and Sand Hotel
Ranked #120 of 144 Hotels in Hoi An
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location and it's the real deal”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I've read some of the reviews for this hotel and I think some people are expecting to pay 2* prices for a 5* hotel. Get a grip - this is Vietnam and not the US!
The hotel doesn't have a mirrored, sofa filled reception, and yes the staff speak don't great English... but how is your Vietnamese.? The rooms are clean and spacious, the showers are great and you're less than 200 metres from a world class beach. The breakfast is basic but great... no it's not high end cuisine but that's not what you're paying for. Spent over a month travelling in Vietnam and really this was one of the best hotels we stayed in.

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank roadtripper74

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Vietnamese first
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Our family of 5 stayed 3 nights on our recent trip through Vietnam and enjoyed the great location 200 mtrs from the beach; the friendly staff, english style breakfast and good value. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the hotel has restaurants and tailors close by and a free daytime shuttle to and from the town of Hoi An. Hoi An and Cua Dai were a highlight of our trip and a great place for a more chill out beach/village holiday. Rent a motorbike cruise around town and chill out on a clean beach with 17 restaurants and beach activities to choose from.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Garry T
Toulouse
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Hotel is located within easy walking distance of the beach and restaurants, although the town of Hoi An is about 4km away. The rooms are generally clean, pleasant and comfortable, and have good views over the sea, river and town. There is a wide choice between Western and Asian breakfasts, which are of reasonable quality. Fantastic staff! Nothing was impossible for them. On the negative side, the swimming pool is very small and all amenities needed to be upgrade:

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jean P
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This hotel claims to be a 3 star hotel but falls well short of this standard. I arrived to the hotel to find a very dated lobby area, which was thick with dust and managed by staff who were extremely rude and un-helpful. Upon being shown to the room we booked, walking along corridors which resembled an old peoples home (witht he same smell to go with it), we entered a spacious room kitted out in the hotels mandatory 'mint green' decor. The walls were dirty, the towels were filthy and the sheets even dirtier still (with no mattres protector, which I find disgraceful in any hotel!). Window locks 'didn't lock' and there was no safe in the room. Upon investigating I was told that there were no safes and that valuables had to be placed in the hotel safe. Not very convenient when you have to hand your belongings over daily to reception. The final straw around the safe situation came when I arrived back to the hotel to find the safe door in the hotel wide open for approx 20 minutes. I complained to reception, asked to see the manager who was unfortunately unavailable.

Now for the worst part of this hotel, it's bathrooms! On the first (and only night we stayed there) water was pouring through the ceiling next to the light fitting. There was grime and mold all over the ceiling, so not a one off event, and the entire place was just filthy!!

Next day I decided to leave (despite being booked in for another 2 nights). I went 15 minutes closer to the town and booked into the Phuoc An Riverside hotel, which is also a 3 start hotel and really fantastic!!

Before leaving the Sea and Sands I asked again to see the manager and after a 30 minute wait, insisting I was not leaving until I saw him, he finally appeared. I took him to see my room and asked for an explanation, to which he said "it's under new management and the owners have not had time yet to do it up!". He mentioned that he thought my expectations were too high.. What a joke of a hotel...

The pictures on the website of the hotel must be 15 years out of date. The problem with the beach part of Hoi An is that you only have 3 hotels to choose from. One is this dump and the other two are very expensive beach resorts (expense aside, I hate beach resorts anyway). Before I left for Hoi An, people tried to tell me to stay nearer to town and having experienced the hotels I totally support this advice. Apart from a couple of nice little restaurants on the main Cua Dai road (especially the little family run place on the corner opposite Hoi An Beach resort), there is nothing to do. My advice would be to stay halfway between the beach and the old town. there are nice hotels near the river and as already mentioned, Phuoc An riverside hotel is just fantastic.

Room Tip: Disgraceful! Covered in mold! Dirty! No lockable windows, a real security hazard!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JonandJoanne

Travellers are raving about these Hoi An hotels

Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 24 July 2011

After reading the reviews, I was very scared to stay there.
Since ALL I cared about was being near the beach at an affordable price, I booked it anyways.
I only booked 1 night and left the other one pending in case it was as very bad.
The little hotel is very near the beach (1 minute walk), has a great free breakfast, and the rates are very affordable.
No luxuries, but no one expects luxury out of a $40 hotel.
The staff was very nice, booking taxi, telling me where to go, where to shop, etc.
In order to enjoy the beach you see on "google images", you have to get there early in the morning (8-9AM). There is no wind, no one on the beach and the water is as clear as a swimming pool. After 10AM it slowly starts to get windy and the water gets more and more like a wave pool in a water park.
Since the ancient town gets REALLY pretty as it gets dark, you don't have to be there for a while.
Therefore, the best thing to do is to stay near the beach.
I ended up staying there 2 nights and the last night, we had booked a resort by the river.
We liked the hotel better because of the location.

Room Tip: I stayed at the cheapest room and it was just fine!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Biba_Rio
NYC
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This hotel is close to the beach. The beds were very hard and I had to change rooms since it felt like I was sleeping on the floor. The staff gave us a recommendation of a tailor which OVERCHARGED us a lot (stupid us paid). Don't follow their recommendations. Their are a lot of rats in the hotel as well. The small pool was good after a long day. The long cab ride into town got expensive after a few days. I heard other travelers talking and there are cheaper places in the area to stay.

Room Tip: not worth it
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2011

This is the worst hotel we stayed during a period of 3 weeks in Viet nam. I can only call it a guest house and not a hotel. When I did the booking it was even have a Resort title attached to its name. Well, this is no resort, the amenities are minimal and services are near non-existent. The breakfast was minimal and not up to standard (this is compared with breakfast being offered by other mini-hotels in Viet nam). This place appeared to be in a process of being repaired and bring a few things up to what they should be (such as when we left there were 2 computers being installed,may be for guests, we don't know). No grand lobby, just a front desk and some space for guest breakfast and sitting. This is a mini-hotel with lousy services and amenities. The staff appeared not knowing what they are doing. We never seen the shuttle bus (the only thing we saw was a piece of paper stating that there is a "free" shuttle services which costs $2-$3 per person per trip into town. How can they called it free? We also have a bad experience booking for a tour to the My son ruin through this hotel. Please read my comment on the Hoi an forum. The story a bit long to repeat here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple