Sea and Sand Hotel
US$110
Hotels.com
US$48
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Our family of 5 stayed 3 nights on our recent trip through Vietnam and enjoyed the great location 200 mtrs from the beach; the friendly staff, english style breakfast and good value. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the hotel has restaurants and tailors close by and a free daytime shuttle to and from the town of Hoi An. Hoi An and Cua Dai were a highlight of our trip and a great place for a more chill out beach/village holiday. Rent a motorbike cruise around town and chill out on a clean beach with 17 restaurants and beach activities to choose from.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Garry T
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Hotel is located within easy walking distance of the beach and restaurants, although the town of Hoi An is about 4km away. The rooms are generally clean, pleasant and comfortable, and have good views over the sea, river and town. There is a wide choice between Western and Asian breakfasts, which are of reasonable quality. Fantastic staff! Nothing was impossible for them. On the negative side, the swimming pool is very small and all amenities needed to be upgrade:

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jean P
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This hotel claims to be a 3 star hotel but falls well short of this standard. I arrived to the hotel to find a very dated lobby area, which was thick with dust and managed by staff who were extremely rude and un-helpful. Upon being shown to the room we booked, walking along corridors which resembled an old peoples home (witht he same smell to go with it), we entered a spacious room kitted out in the hotels mandatory 'mint green' decor. The walls were dirty, the towels were filthy and the sheets even dirtier still (with no mattres protector, which I find disgraceful in any hotel!). Window locks 'didn't lock' and there was no safe in the room. Upon investigating I was told that there were no safes and that valuables had to be placed in the hotel safe. Not very convenient when you have to hand your belongings over daily to reception. The final straw around the safe situation came when I arrived back to the hotel to find the safe door in the hotel wide open for approx 20 minutes. I complained to reception, asked to see the manager who was unfortunately unavailable.

Now for the worst part of this hotel, it's bathrooms! On the first (and only night we stayed there) water was pouring through the ceiling next to the light fitting. There was grime and mold all over the ceiling, so not a one off event, and the entire place was just filthy!!

Next day I decided to leave (despite being booked in for another 2 nights). I went 15 minutes closer to the town and booked into the Phuoc An Riverside hotel, which is also a 3 start hotel and really fantastic!!

Before leaving the Sea and Sands I asked again to see the manager and after a 30 minute wait, insisting I was not leaving until I saw him, he finally appeared. I took him to see my room and asked for an explanation, to which he said "it's under new management and the owners have not had time yet to do it up!". He mentioned that he thought my expectations were too high.. What a joke of a hotel...

The pictures on the website of the hotel must be 15 years out of date. The problem with the beach part of Hoi An is that you only have 3 hotels to choose from. One is this dump and the other two are very expensive beach resorts (expense aside, I hate beach resorts anyway). Before I left for Hoi An, people tried to tell me to stay nearer to town and having experienced the hotels I totally support this advice. Apart from a couple of nice little restaurants on the main Cua Dai road (especially the little family run place on the corner opposite Hoi An Beach resort), there is nothing to do. My advice would be to stay halfway between the beach and the old town. there are nice hotels near the river and as already mentioned, Phuoc An riverside hotel is just fantastic.

Room Tip: Disgraceful! Covered in mold! Dirty! No lockable windows, a real security hazard!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JonandJoanne
Reviewed July 24, 2011

After reading the reviews, I was very scared to stay there.
Since ALL I cared about was being near the beach at an affordable price, I booked it anyways.
I only booked 1 night and left the other one pending in case it was as very bad.
The little hotel is very near the beach (1 minute walk), has a great free breakfast, and the rates are very affordable.
No luxuries, but no one expects luxury out of a $40 hotel.
The staff was very nice, booking taxi, telling me where to go, where to shop, etc.
In order to enjoy the beach you see on "google images", you have to get there early in the morning (8-9AM). There is no wind, no one on the beach and the water is as clear as a swimming pool. After 10AM it slowly starts to get windy and the water gets more and more like a wave pool in a water park.
Since the ancient town gets REALLY pretty as it gets dark, you don't have to be there for a while.
Therefore, the best thing to do is to stay near the beach.
I ended up staying there 2 nights and the last night, we had booked a resort by the river.
We liked the hotel better because of the location.

Room Tip: I stayed at the cheapest room and it was just fine!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Biba_Rio
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This hotel is close to the beach. The beds were very hard and I had to change rooms since it felt like I was sleeping on the floor. The staff gave us a recommendation of a tailor which OVERCHARGED us a lot (stupid us paid). Don't follow their recommendations. Their are a lot of rats in the hotel as well. The small pool was good after a long day. The long cab ride into town got expensive after a few days. I heard other travelers talking and there are cheaper places in the area to stay.

Room Tip: not worth it
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends