“Chicken is the only deal”

Yamamotoya Honten Esca
Ranked #24 of 20,088 Restaurants in Nagoya
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Good for: Romantic
Good for: Romantic
Reviewed February 16, 2018 via mobile

We ordered the traditional udon which was al dente and soup on salty side. The chicken with leek yakitori was very good.

Reviewed October 9, 2017 via mobile

I ate mushroom(Japanese mushroom 'Nameko') Udon.
It was a fun experience because it was the first time I ate this food.
al dente noodles in very salty soup, mushrooms are so strange texture... :(
And It's very hard to go to a store. because the store is in the Underground shopping arcade (complicated path)
I do not want to visit again.

Reviewed April 6, 2017 via mobile

Nice udon restaurant, hand made udon al dente. Starts with traditional Japanese pickles, udon and rice. Portion Japanese style, not to much but enough to fully your belly. The soup it's quite strong because the miso paste. Totally recommend.

Reviewed July 20, 2016 via mobile

My wife, friend and I visited this restaurant after looking at places to eat around the main station by relying on reviews on TripAdvisor, so I will try to be as objective as I can.

Pros:
- The miso-based soup broth is unique, something that we've never tried before
- Service was attentive
- Free pickled vegetables refill

Cons:
- The soup is actually quite salty and in order to have the best experience, I would highly suggest the set menu that comes with a bowl of rice to dull down the saltiness. Also they use the same broth for all varieties of udon noodle selections, so the only differences will be the topping
- The udon is actually cooked very under, so it has a very firm/hard texture which would cause slight indigestion if someone is not used to it
- The price was a big shock for the type of food that you are getting. We ordered two sets, one individual udon pot and two draft beers and we were to say the least, surprised by the total bill of approx AUD110! For something so simple I highly doubt it commands such price points. Coming from Sydney where cost of living is high, even we were taken aback by the cost of such a simple meal.

I would suggest that unless you absolutely need to try this type of udon soup, there's better value to be found elsewhere around the station.

Hope this review can help manage your expectations before you consider a visit.

Reviewed July 5, 2016

Recommended by travel book and we tried once. The taste is quite strong and a bit salty. The portion is not large enough, so we went to afternoon tea then. By the way, staff is polite.