All reviews modern building sister restaurant chose this place based royal suite tatami mats old town steak dinner train station personal attendant entire stay japanese dinner sushi lady boss dietary restrictions japanese socks wearing slippers matcha tea
Reviewed August 2, 2018

Our stay in the hotel was great, the dinner was awesome, real Japanese experience.
We went there with our baby and before arriving I bought some sweet potatoes to do a little puree for her dinner, I asked the hotel to boil them for for me and mix it with a little bit of milk and I was very happy for the service but oh surprise when we did our check out, the charged us 1500 Yen for boiling 3 small sweet potatoes!!!! and 450 yen for the little bit of milk!!
I know it is a luxury hotel but I find it just crazy to charge us so much for it before telling me that it will cost me that much...

Other than that the place is great, the private onsen outside was great!!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

1st time in traditional Japanese Inn. We subsequently stayed in another during our trip and this was the best. Why? Food was amazing. Lots of different courses served in a large private dining room by delightful young lady. All the staff were lovely. Small town is great as well with lovely traditional streets.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2018

This is a experience not to be missed, we stayed just 2 nights on our tour of Japan and my wife and i can only say this was one of the best hotels we have stayed in, the owner and staff were absolutely brilliant showing us how to put on our Kimonos and telling us all about the amenities available in the hotel.

We had a really nice Japanese dinner whilst in our kimonos served by a nice young man who took our photo whilst having dinner, this was then given to us the next morning at breakfast along with a small bunch of flowers for my wife as it was our 40th wedding anniversary.

The attention to detail was really good in every aspect in this hotel we were even welcomed by a member of staff banging the welcome drum as we entered the hotel.
I must also thank the owner who assisted us finding a way to our next destination as some of the roads were closed due to landslides caused by extremely heavy rainfall.

Unfortunately whilst we were there the weather was not good so we were a little bit restricted as to what we actually seen, but if the weather had been kinder we would have done a lot more walking.

Stayed: July 2018
1  Thank colin w
Reviewed July 14, 2018

While it felt more like a hotel than a B & B they did a very good job of explaining everything. Service was very good and they have a complimentary van that took us to the train station. Would have been nice if we knew that on the way in. It is a bit of walk with luggage.

Room Tip: We had the top floor facing the mountains and river that runs through town. Very quiet & relaxing.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2018

Our stay at Honjin Hiranoya Kachoan will go down as one of the most memorable experiences of our entire trip to Japan. Eriko Arisu and her entire team do an outstanding job of welcoming you and making you feel right at home, while treating you to an authentic taste of Japanese culture.
From the moment you arrive, they whisk your bags away and usher you into the lobby where you are met by the courteous staff. You are given a pair of slippers to wear and a personal attendant takes you to your room. We had a lovely and spacious room that felt like our own apartment with a sitting area, separate bathroom, separate entranceway. And we booked a fairly basic room - not a suite. What I really loved, is our attendant took the time to explain all the wonderful things they left for us in the room, like our own kimonos with obi sashes (and how to wear them), she explained some of the traditions about wearing slippers and when to remove them, how to properly enjoy the onsen experience, etc. They also had a fabulous booklet in each room that explains it all to you - setting you up for success and letting you get into the whole experience.
They brought a delicious snack when we arrived with a traditional sweet and matcha tea, and she graciously went over all our plans with us, booking our preferred times for dinner, breakfast, arranging for transportation, etc.
The staff literally cannot do enough for you. They treat you like you are the king and queen in the royal palace every moment of your entire stay. One afternoon we inquired about bicycles, and the next thing I know they had two bikes ready and waiting for us out front (with motors, might I add.) We got caught in Takayama during the flooding and landslides caused the closure of many of the train and bus routes in and out of the area, including ours. And the entire team of staff took this on as if it was their problem to fix. They helped us navigate all the routes and kept on top of the constantly changing schedules. And on the morning of our departure they informed us that they looked into it and discovered the bus route was now open, whisked us in for an early breakfast and got us to the bus station in time to make the bus we were hoping for. They were amazing!
And the town of Takayama - it is just what I was hoping for. A quaint taste of what feels like old Japan. There is the charming Old Town which is all just a moment's walk from the Hotel. So many wonderful stores and restaurants to explore - my favourite was the one where you can buy beautiful chopsticks and have the engraved with your English name and your name in Japanese.
The onsen at Honjin Hiranoya leaves you multiple options - and the one I tried was serene and perfect . Soothing baths and a whole area to relax, shower - and so many products to enjoy (creams, lotions shampoo, etc.) They also offer massage, reflexology, facials, etc.. And the meals were excellent. The Japanese breakfast was delicious with egg and spinach and soup and fish and vegetables - the food just kept coming. My husband opted for the American breakfast and he was thrilled to enjoy eggs and sausages and bread and fruit and juice. And the kaiseki meal on our first night was a real experience. Served in your own private room in the restaurant.
It was our anniversary, and they couldn't do enough to help us celebrate. Everything from cards and flowers to the chef preparing red rice as part of our dinner, as that is traditional when you are celebrating something.
In the end, our stay there introduced us to Japanese culture in a really meaningful way. This stay was a true experience. And one I won't forget.
Treat yourself to a stay at Honjin Hiranoya Kachoan - you will not be disappointed!!

Stayed: July 2018