All reviewsryokan experiencetrain stationprivate showerfree coffee in the morninggood byeonsen downstairsold townlovely ryokanlocal disheswarm hospitalitytraditional tatamiperfect staysit on the floorwonderful experiencespent nights herejapanese bathfree shuttle
Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

This is my second time stay in Yamakyu. I love Onsen very much. Three times a day. Haha! We stay there for two nights, every meal (even the first time I stay there) are different. Fantastic food. I’m a vegetarian, you just need to let them know earlier, then all vegetarian can enjoy the foods with your group too! Love it. The Yukata’s colour was different than the first time I visited. The staffs are extremely nice, very helpful, if you want to enjoy something very Japanese style, Yamakyu must be your first choice. Btw, they have shuttle take you from the train station to there, very helpful. Really want to go there again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2018

We stayed here for three nights while we explored Takayama and took a day trip to Shirakawa-go. It was hard for our old bodies to get up and down from the floor, but we cherished the experience of staying in a very traditional Japanese inn. The breakfasts and dinners were amazing. There was so much food, it was all beautiful, it was all delicious. They featured a lot of local specialties.The Japanese bath was a wonderful way to relax after a long day on my feet. There was such a peaceful atmosphere there. I miss this place and want to go back.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlaskanVagabond
Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely loved this stay.
Very attentive staff, good food. We stayed 2 nights, and ordered meals for the stay. But it would be worthwhile to try one of their dinners and one in town.
The bath is a nice way to wind down at the end of the day too.
Own toilet & wash basin, which is great with a family (ours are 5, 7, 9yo). There’s also a washing machine & drier available for use too (300 Yen cost).
Good distance from railway, but the shuttle is helpful.
Easy to organise luggage transfer with them too.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank AllLoveMummy
Reviewed April 20, 2018 via mobile

The ryokan is situated in the heart of an old district, with cherry blossom filled shrines and canals within 5 minutes walk (pictures below!), well worth the 20 minute walk from the station (which I’ve noticed some reviewers complain about!) it’s only 10 minutes walk from the heart of the old town too. Great rooms, wonderful service (though English is a bit limited we coped fine!) and breakfast was delicious. The Onsen in the basement completed a wonderful two nights. If you want a Ryokan experience but on a smaller budget... this is the place!!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank GeoJono
Reviewed April 4, 2018

This is a traditional Japanese hotel with tatami floor and futons. The stuff was very nice. We had a very delicious Japanese dinner and after a hot bath in the Sento. They brought us to the railway station by their own shuttle service. I would recommand this place to everybody who look for a place in Takayama.

Stayed: March 2018