All reviews foot bath hot stone welcome drink weary feet cable car hot mineral bath lobby bar traditional ryokan staff was very friendly and helpful fourth floor room rate private onsen japanese food open air museum upon check moment you arrive minute walk
Reviewed November 1, 2015

This was our one night of luxury during our trip to Japan and it was definitely worth paying the extra few dollars. Greeted with a delicious welcome drink of bubbles the room was really large, bed was comfy, view was beautiful. We had our own onsen in the room and we also took the opportunity to use the private onsen and also a room that was sort of like a dry sauna. It made us so relaxed.

We ended up also adding breakfast to our tab. It was so huge (see my photo) so definitely a great way to start our last day.

It was super easy to find Gora Tensui - just 100 metres or so from the train station. Definitely would recommend this to others looking for a place to stay and explore Hakone.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rowan T
Reviewed October 13, 2015

I had just finished climbing Mt. Fuji the day before and was extemely interested in taking a soak in an onsen. When I arrived in Gora at the train station, I found this place was only one block away. I walked in not knowing what to expect. I also didn't have a room booked in advance. However, I was greeted by one of the hosts and, who I assume was the shift manager with smiles.

I told him I would like to stay there, but wasn't sure if they would let me since I was traveling alone. He told me they had a Japanese traditional room and I was ecstatic! They told me to leave my bags and go to the foot bath bar. While I sipped on my welcome drink at the bar, I met a nice couple from NYC. We ended up planning dinner together at Nobu, which is extremely close.

After I finished my conversation, I was lead to a beautiful room with a massive bathroom. I quickly put on my yukata that they let you wear while there. I walked down to the hot springs on the basement level. Washed up and soaked for what felt like an hour.

I enjoyed just relaxing there. They have so many amenities that I can't talk about everything, but I did it all. I also added breakfast to my room and the next morning I had a massive meal. I can't reiterate how relaxing this place is. If you are in Gora and traveling alone, this is the place to go!

Room Tip: Try and get something facing the hills of Gora. They are beautiful.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank jonboden
Reviewed October 9, 2015 via mobile

A choice of volcanic, stream fed or dry baths, large rooms, wonderful views of the mountains, helpful and
Caring staff and the Rolls Royce of toilets...what is there now to like about Gora Tensui. OK the Japanese sometimes get carried away with their toilets. But one just has to admire the ingenuity that went into the these almost fully programmable ones. And the hotel is conveniently located. It is only 10 minutes walking distance away from the outdoor Hakone Open Air Museum which has a fabulous collection of modern European and Japanese sculptures displayed tastefully around the beautiful gardens. The Picasso Museum in the park includes a number of his later works. The hotel is also only steps away from the Hakone-Tozan cable car which stops at several museums before depositing you at Souzan where you can take the Ropeway up to a volcano crater or to the lake on the other side of the mountain. It's certainly worth a stay if you are planning to visit the Hakone area

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2015 via mobile

We stayed for a couple of nights on our tour of Japan.

The Ryokan is only a few minutes walk from Gora station so great location for sight seeing in the area.

Lovely welcome with a foot bath awaiting your arrival.

The rooms are traditional Japanese with low bedding and mattresses on the floor.

The food at dinner and breakfast was truly amazing. Beautiful to look at in gorgeous crockery and wonderful to eat. I don't eat meat, and had let the Ryokan know in advance so had special courses that were different from those served for my wife.

The onsite onset are great too - bit like being slowly simmered in a pan of very hot water, but relaxing and you do end up feeling amazingly clean with lovely, clear skin afterwards.

All the staff were very attentive and helpful.

My only minor criticism is that it was unseasonably hot and very hard to then sleep - we had the choice of being cool but awake due to up to 4 air con units in the room, all of which were noisy; or quiet with switching them off but being too hot too sleep. We tried both methods on both nights, without great success.

That said, a unique place to stay!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrMrsWilko
Reviewed June 26, 2015

We spent one night here in June and it was incredible. As you check in and receive your welcome drink your feet soak in a hot bath at the bar. (Is there a better way to check-in to a hotel than this???) Everyone there was so friendly and made us wish we could have stayed longer. The dinner was astounding. A 10+ course of Japanese food was perfect! I live in London and this meal we had here would run you at least £100 per person in the UK.
Now, of course the baths. There are several in the hotel and we tried them all which I would absolutely recommend. Upon check-in you are given your yukata which will be your clothing for the duration you are here. This is basically a Japanese bathrobe and you will wear this everywhere. There really is nothing better than coming back here at the end of the day, getting your robe on and then relaxing in a hot bath. Book the hot stone room as well as that is reservation required. The whole experience here was truly one of the most memorable of our trip. One small note, just so you are not caught off guard. All the baths are fully nude so don't expect to be wearing your bathing suit here AND don't forget before you go in any of them you MUST thoroughly clean and shower in the adjoining room.
Of course the cost is a bit high (including the dinner and breakfasts) but you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple