All reviews foot bath welcome drink hot stone weary feet cable car hot mineral bath lobby bar private onsen staff was very friendly and helpful traditional ryokan minute walk fourth floor room rate open air museum japanese food upon check moment you arrive
Reviewed November 28, 2015

We visited Hakone in October of this year and I am just getting round to writing my reviews.
Gore Tensui was the best thing about the Hakone area for us. Unfortunately because of seismic activity we could not go onto the cable cars to see the views so a trip on the furnicula and a boat trip across Lake Ashi was all that was on offer. Thank goodness the sun was shining.
Fora Tensui gave us the most beautiful experience: the rooms were Japanese style but had western style beds for our comfort.
The little touches in the room were beautiful: pyjamas, slipper, teas, biscuits etc all perfectly arranged and packaged for effect.
Kykmono 's were available to dress in for dinner and how comfortable to sit in what felt like your dressing gown !
The dinner was a banquet ! The variety of foods, the variety of gorgeous dishes it was served in , the service.... It was impeccable!
I am not saying as a westerner I liked all,of the dishes but at this hotel,you know you are experiencing fine dining.
Loved the whole experience and loved the foot spa whilst having pre- dinner drinks and the hot stone room plus the Onsen.
Expensive but well worth it!!!

Room tip: Ask for one with western beds if you don't like the futon experience. Ask for one of the larger rooms too.
Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Sorce
Reviewed November 20, 2015 via mobile

Loved the traditional Japanese rooms, bathroom amenities and robes for the Onsen. They have private Onsens or communal. The larger communal one is gorgeous and each time we went we had it all to ourselves!
The staff were lovely & we had a fantastic dinner at a Japanese restaurant next door.
Beautiful bar area where you can soak your feet whilst enjoying Japanese whiskey.
Will be staying here again on our next trip!

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 665kate
Reviewed November 4, 2015

The unusual welcome of a glass of Moet while soaking ones feet was unique. The rooms are large and furnished in the old Japanese style. I personally don't like the hard floor mattress and didn't sleep well. The highlight is the location and the food. The large number of courses for breakfast and dinner was different for both days we stayed and really delicious.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2015

This was our one night of luxury during our trip to Japan and it was definitely worth paying the extra few dollars. Greeted with a delicious welcome drink of bubbles the room was really large, bed was comfy, view was beautiful. We had our own onsen in the room and we also took the opportunity to use the private onsen and also a room that was sort of like a dry sauna. It made us so relaxed.

We ended up also adding breakfast to our tab. It was so huge (see my photo) so definitely a great way to start our last day.

It was super easy to find Gora Tensui - just 100 metres or so from the train station. Definitely would recommend this to others looking for a place to stay and explore Hakone.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rowan T
Reviewed October 13, 2015

I had just finished climbing Mt. Fuji the day before and was extemely interested in taking a soak in an onsen. When I arrived in Gora at the train station, I found this place was only one block away. I walked in not knowing what to expect. I also didn't have a room booked in advance. However, I was greeted by one of the hosts and, who I assume was the shift manager with smiles.

I told him I would like to stay there, but wasn't sure if they would let me since I was traveling alone. He told me they had a Japanese traditional room and I was ecstatic! They told me to leave my bags and go to the foot bath bar. While I sipped on my welcome drink at the bar, I met a nice couple from NYC. We ended up planning dinner together at Nobu, which is extremely close.

After I finished my conversation, I was lead to a beautiful room with a massive bathroom. I quickly put on my yukata that they let you wear while there. I walked down to the hot springs on the basement level. Washed up and soaked for what felt like an hour.

I enjoyed just relaxing there. They have so many amenities that I can't talk about everything, but I did it all. I also added breakfast to my room and the next morning I had a massive meal. I can't reiterate how relaxing this place is. If you are in Gora and traveling alone, this is the place to go!

Room tip: Try and get something facing the hills of Gora. They are beautiful.
Date of stay: September 2015