“Top quality ryokan”
Review of Gora Tensui

Gora Tensui
Reviewed 24 April 2017

This ryokan was booked for us as a part of a holiday package. We arrived at 11.30am but check in was 3.00pm. The staff were happy to see us, took our baggage and gave us suggestions where to go for lunch and where to go and visit. At check in you're given a complimentary drink and a comprehensive chat on how the ryokan works. There is also a delightful young lady from Poland who spoke good English and Japanese so language was never a problem. Rooms were very spacious. Facilities were excellent. Bathroom was the best. Food, although traditional Japanese was of a very high standard. Overall the service, and staff courtesy was excellent. The hotel may be expensive, but worth every penny. Thank you Gora Tensui for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 April 2017

We arrived on a rainy Friday night and were welcomed by a very friendly hotel team member. While getting checked in, we were enjoying a glass of Moet - nice touch versus some inferior champagne. Our room was small, but functional. Dinner was impressive. Ahead of time I had send a note about being vegetarian - my meal had been prepared especially to meet my request. Our server was very pleasant and helpful in providing sake pics and overall taking good care of us. Same for the breakfast. We noticed several Japanese families staying at the hotel as well, which I believe is always a good sign.
Upon our arrival at the next hotel we noticed that we left behind a pair of shoes. The team from Gora Tensui rushed the shoes via delivery service to us to make sure to receive them in time for our return - thank you guys.
In short: great stay, personal touch and great food

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2017

Gora Tensui is a traditional Japanese Ryokan outside of Tokyo. The Romance and local trains to get there offered beautiful views of the mountains and surrounding areas.
Upon checking in you get a foot bath at the bar and a free cocktail. We were greeted by Agata who treated us like royalty - she was lovely and attended to all our needs. You're provided with Japanese kimonos and sandals during your stay (you get to choose from a variety of colours and patterns). We had chosen a traditional Japanese room and the Zen like automosphere did not disappoint; we had the best sleep there! Bathroom was huge with a care package of items for each of us to take home. There's no wifi in the room - we welcomed the break from technology, but they do have free wifi in the lobby area. I don't believe they have non-smoking rooms but I had contacted the hotel prior and requested this and they made the effort to ensure the room did not smell like a smoking room.
My daughter and I took advantage of the hot springs baths - AMAZING. I had a foot massage (AMAZING) and we ordered room service massages (AMAZING). All reasonably priced.
Our reservation included a traditional Japanese meal which was wonderful. Our server Wakana was delightful and made the experience all that more enjoyable explaining each course as she served them.
Although this hotel is pricey I would recommend this Ryokan to anyone visiting Japan. Best experience ever!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Gora Tensui is a lovely experience. The staff were charming, especially in the restaurant where the food was exceptionally good. There was wonderful attention to detail in the beautifully presented, fabulously fresh, food. Later ryokan experiences on our trip have emphasised how good Gora Tensui was. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The onsen was great with the private facility a nice addition. In room massages were possibly the best we have ever had. I had read a poor review of this place before arrival which concerned me - I don't think the reviewer can have stayed at the same establishment as we did. We could not fault this place.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank menagLondon
Reviewed 21 March 2017

Money well spent. Great onsen (perfect temperature of around 40degree), dinner and breakfast. Do not miss the meals, it was such an unforgettable experience. Will want to go back soon. My family agree that was the highlight of our Japan trip.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank llp2266
Reviewed 8 March 2017

My husband and I took my parents to enjoy 2-night stay in Hakone there. My mother is in wheelchair and we booked the room with easy access. The staff there were helpful. Dinner and breakfast were tasty! We loved it:)

車椅子を利用する母を連れての旅行でしたが、おかげさまで快適に過ごすことができました。施設の全てがバリアフリーというわけではないのですが、スタッフの方も親切にヘルプしてくださったので、すごく不便と感じることはあまりなかったです。お食事もとても美味しかったです。駅からのアクセスも良いので、オススメです!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Miwa N
Reviewed 13 December 2016

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2-night stay. We had a Japanese room with rotenburo (in addition to a spacious bathroom). In fact our 'room' was more like an apartment it was so spacious. As it was quite cold we didn't open the rotenburo windows but I imagine that this would been a really lovely experience in suitable weather.
We thought the check-in with footbath and a welcome glass of wine was a lovely and unique start to our stay. The private dining areas were really nice and the dinners were amazing and beautifully presented. The breakfasts, too, were very good. We have some quite demanding dietary requirements and these were dealt with extremely well.
The staff were very pleasant and efficient and the location very close to Gora Station makes this a great base for exploring Hakone.
One very small negative is that there was no wi-fi in our room but it was available in the public areas which wasn't a problem.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple