“My first Onsen and Japanese bed experience”
Review of Tenseien

Tenseien
Reviewed 29 May 2017

After an intense business trip in Asia, I wanted to relax a couple of days on the countryside, prior to fly home. Hakone as a location was recommended to me and I choose the Tenseien hotel since it had some good reviews on Tripadvisor. Their own website is not usefull (only in Japanese). I wanted to rent a car in Tokyo, but learned the hard way that one needs an international driver license, unfortunately I have only a national Luxembourg one, so I ended up taking the train "Romance express" from Tokyo to Hakone. There should have been a shuttle bus from the Hakone-Yimoto train station, but I did not find it. It is only a 10-15 scenic walk to the hotel, which I enjoyed a lot. Nice atmosphere. Arriving in the hotel, I had to take off my shoes and put in in a locker. Very relaxing and excellent idea. Just walking barefoot.
Staff at the reception was very helpfull. I had to pay my three night stay in advance and got some traditional Japanese clothing and a bath towel plus a little towel and a small bag. I booked a Japanse style room as I wanted to experience this. Well, you just have a mattress on the ground, which is not too comfortable. I slept two nights on it in a Spartan way, but changed rooms in order to get a Western bed the third night. Way better sleep. The rooms are small and simple, but typically Japanese; but one does not come here for the rooms as such. I received vouchers for dinner and breakfast. That happens at the 2nd floor although I read there's also another restaurant which must be 24/7, but i did not look for it. The food is EXCELLENT and amazing even although the dining room as such is not very scenic or so. The same experience for the breakfast, they have such a great and fine offer I really enjoyed. About the ONSEN. Did not know what to expect. Women go on the 6th floor, men on the 7th. One needs to completely undress and proceed at first to the washing area where I had to sit down and wash myself. I just folllowed what the other Japanese were doing, no foreigners here. Nice. There are some 50 of these little seats which you can use to wash your self (sitting of course), that works well. Then I went outside and got into the ONSEN. the water is too hot for my Luxembourg body, I had to go quite slowly in it. You only have the little towel with you walking in the Onsen, not a big deal. I got some cold water on me afterwards and got into the onsen again etc... Very relaxing experience. There are sauna and steam rooms as well, I did not use these, the water was already enough heat to my body.
Important to remark is that the Onsen are open from 10am till 9am, meaning 23 hours a day. I tried it on several moments, always different.
I noticed there are also other kind of services in the hotel such as foot massage etc....but i did not use these, I have been walking a lot in the nature although

Room Tip: Try a Japanese bed for a night, you'll never forget :)
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank SooLux

Reviewed 8 May 2017

The lobby and outer grounds are impressive. Some uncertainties from the amenities descriptions were better than expected. I was unsure if the Western rooms had private en suite shower or if the locker rooms were used (Western style do have en suite) and the womens Onsen on 6th floor is also rooftop, which is fabulous. The shuttle bus from the station was very convenient, although without luggage it is also walkable. As a change from hotel chains and AirBNBs, this was my favorite stay in Japan. Also, we got a room the day before Golden Week, by short advance (2 month) booking, which was a miracle in and of itself, let alone being relatively reasonable and such a nice place!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thai2007
Reviewed 26 April 2017

We had an excellent stay at Tenseien. We took a room with private onsen on the balcony which is a fantastic experience; the view was beautiful on a mountain with two cascades but it remained very intimate at the same time. The room was in traditional Japanese style with futon. It was a great Japanese experience. We also were lucky to see the cherry blossom and there is a long alley of cherry trees in front of the hotel which made it even prettier.

The only caveat is that dinner is only a buffet and while it is of good quality, it is not at the same level of quality as the room. We would have appreciated a menu, even at a slightly higher price, to have a perfect experience. The buffet was fun, though, to have an overview of some Japanese specialities.

Room Tip: Rooms with private onsen are the best with a quiet and beautiful view.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StephaneSr
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

It's my first time going to an onsen & boy am I glad that Tenseien has set the bar so high. It's a lovely place. Stayed over for a night and found it the most relaxing night in my 8 days trip to Tokyo/Hakone/Mt Fuji. Onsen is very nice and the ambience is fantastic. There are 2 sauna rooms, 4 onsen 'pools', 2 stone tubs & even a relaxation room. Nothing much to feel shy about and in fact many locals visit this place. Japanese massage is also available at 6000yen/hour and 3 of us fell asleep while doing it cos it was just so relaxing! Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank navypolkadots
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for only one night. The hotel is very beautiful. There are a lovely garden with a small pond and a waterfall located at the back of the hotel. Their dinner and lunch buffet are extensive. Service is superb but most of staffs cant speak english.

Some notes for non-Japanese tourist before booking the hotel. First, Shoes need to be removed and placed in a locker before entering the hotel building. Second, only some types of room come with a shower (western style or Japanese room with an open air bath). You have to use a shower (a partition without a door) in the onsen area if your room is a regular Japanese room. Third, they charged everyone for the parking fee and the bathing tax even you never use it.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank pinyohiso
Reviewed 9 April 2017

We were booked into this recommended hotel by our trip organisers. Certainly an experience for us Westerners. Ryokan for the masses,

That being said we did enjoy, we had a private onsen, (recommended). The Buffet meals were of a huge variety and of good quality,

Room Tip: Get one on a higher floor
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2017

Wonderful experience, beautiful unique hotel, so helpful and friendly, loved choosing my own kimono to wear and walking around in Japanese socks! Gorgeous gardens, great buffet food with a vast selection for all tastes and all of this in the so beautiful Hakone area. It's only a 10 minute walk into the village with shops, restaurants and transport links. Would recommend in a heartbeat, loved our stay, well done Tenseien!!!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple