Open today: 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Book In Advance
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews japanese garden next door entrance fee tea house peaceful garden free guided tour stepping stones water wheel main garden small museum nara park en garden autumn colours take your time worth a visit cherry blossoms tea ceremony
Reviewed November 1, 2018

If you only ever visit one Japanese style garden during your visit to Japan, make it this one. Interesting plants, features, watercourses, tea houses. Yeah, it's got the lot. Very enjoyable!

Reviewed October 28, 2018

This is near Nara Park so going here will not take you much time.
I am stressed from work and so is my husband so our time here was well spent for meditation and good talk.
This is not the best Japanese Garden however still is beautiful. And if you ever wanted a snack, they offer good japanese tea and sweets that is not awfully over priced.

This could be the perfect place to get inspiration for your gardening back home.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank KathDTrugillo
Reviewed October 24, 2018

I spent several hours enjoying this garden during a recent stay in Nara. The grounds were lovely and very peaceful. The leaves were just beginning to turn, which added to the beauty of the place. I visited soon after it opened and it was not crowded. I also went to the small museum that is inside. The exhibits are interesting and focused on pottery when I visited. Entrance is included in the ticket for the garden.

Reviewed October 23, 2018

Beautiful place, but here's the thing, maybe it's just me. right next door is the smaller Yoshikien gardens. So for me, after a while, that's a lot of garden to see. If I had done one but not the other, I think I would have been fine. Naturally the 2 are not the same. And I am sure some would say you cannot treat them alike. But my take is, if you were short on time, you could skip one. Isuien is definitely more "impressive" than Yoshikien, but Yoshikien was quieter and free of charge.

Reviewed October 14, 2018

We visited Isuien shortyl before it closed. It was a rainy day, there were not many people in the garden, probably because the entry fee was on the higher side. Totally worth it tough, the garden is amazing and very well maintained.
One of my favourite gardens in Japan.

Date of experience: June 2018