All reviews outdoor onsen inside room central location two blocks onsen hotel facing the sea the hotel staff beppu station walking distance hot springs sunrise luggage dinner japan ryokan privacy bus
Reviewed July 4, 2018

Upon arrival the staff at New Matsumi greeted us and took our luggage to the room, the check in was quick and easy. My wife and I had an ocean front room with ceramic tub. The room was huge by Japanese standards. An entry room lead to the Bathroom and first sitting/sleeping room. This was a tatami room so this room housed a table with two chairs and also was large enough for the double futon, the down quilt was amazing and great pillows!! There was an adjoining room with another table and the huge window looking out over the ocean. Off of this room there was a dressing room and this lead to the onsen tub and shower, also looking out over the ocean. Yes it was huge! There was great closet space, TV, and safe as well...in hotel clothing was also supplied as well. The 6th floor has the outdoor onsen and the 7th floor has the indoor onsen. We chose the 6th floor every morning to watch the sunrise over the ocean. We also had the breakfast and to our amazement each day it was completely different and always amazing. The staff are friendly and helpful and the hotel is very clean and an excellent choice. After the first day we agreed there was no need to go to other onsens as ours was so nice. However, do try the beach front sand bath as it is a great experience. New Matsumi gets and easy 5 stars as well as the city of Beppu! Thanks New Matsumi for making our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Tatami room with ocean view and ceramic tub
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Very central, great service and great cuisine! I definitely recommend having dinner at least once as their kaiseki is fantastic! onsens (outdoor and indoor) are also nice, yet there I would say you see that they are a bit aged.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2018

This place is really beautiful with an amazing view while relaxing in the onsen. The rooms were large and welcoming. The staff were very helpful. The atmosphere of the place is really peaceful. It's walking distance into town, yet right on the water for a great view.
Really enjoyed my stay, would stay again!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2018

Staff was very helpful and provided all the information we needed. Nice beach within walking distance (beach access in front of the hotel was closed due to renovations).

Our breakfast was included. It was a memorable experience to sit at a typical Japanese table having breakfast and green tea. We are always very excited to try new things that we are not accustomed to. If you're looking for bacon and eggs, skip breakfast!

One thing to keep in mind, we didn't find public hot springs around the hotel. You have to take a taxi for 10-15 minutes to get to the well-known hot springs (hells - jigoku).

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

The service was good. My room had an indoor Onsen facing the sea. The view was excellent. I could enjoy the sunrise in the morning. The hotel had public onsens, outdoor and indoor. The public Onsen were clean but a bit dated.

The hotel location was like 7min walk from the trains stations. All bus lines, local and expressway, have a stop near the hotel. I took a local bus from Yufuin to the hotel, and then an expressway bus to Hakata after I checked out. All things are good.

My hotel package did not include meals. I found it was fine as there were other options. Furthermore, as I travelled around the area, I was happy to be able to enjoy the onsens at the hotel and then packed and went out.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple