“5 stars hotels with 1 star services”
Review of Rixos Almaty

Rixos Almaty
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Almaty
Reviewed 27 September 2017

I travel from Atyrau to Almaty once per month for biz trip. I usually stay for 4 nights/month in Almaty. The reason I selected the Rixos instead of Ritz Carlton is that my office is next to the hotel.

Usually, one night out of four, there will be no turndown services.

One incident that put me off Rixos was that I have to turn the AC off because I can smell the cigarettes smokes from another room. I quickly discovered that my room was a smoking room, so I called reception and asked to move to a non-smoking room. The reception told me that she will call back, but after 30 mins, I have to call the reception again to find out why no one calls me back and I was told there were no non-smoking room available; the receptionist told me there could be one non-smoking room the next day with an attitude "we don't really care". The next morning, all my clothes were stink of cigarettes smell, not to mention my skins on my fingers were the same.

After one stay at the Ritz Carlton, they remembered that I wanted the non-smoking room and always give me a non-smoking room. After staying at the Rixos many many times in the non-smoking room, they don't seem to remember nor care too much...you get what available.

If anyone consider staying at the Rixos, I recommend you should consider the Ritz Carlton. Not only the services are so much better, the beds at the Ritz Carlton are so much more comfortable than the woody beds at the Rixos.

For me, goodbye Rixos and hello Ritz Carton.

Room Tip: Don't forget to ask for non-smoking room if you want to stay in a nonsmoking room.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
MakhmutZ, Генеральный директор at Rixos Almaty, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear qln100,

First of all, on behalf of the team of Rixos Almaty we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, and apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. It is unfortunate to read that your experience at our Hotel was not up to your expectations. We assure you that Rixos Hotels sets the bar very higher in regards of Service and guest experience. Moreover please let us kindly inform you that we tried to contact you sending a personal message to get more details as we couldn’t identify you by your Trip Advisor nickname, but we haven’t got any reply yet.
Pleas not, that your comments are followed up by the highest management level of the hotel. And would appreciate a feed back of yours to continue our investigations to do not let such incidents happen again to our guests and spoil our reputation.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Hotel is very nice, big lobby and comfortable rooms. Service is amazing and everything is yes, yes , yes. Very clean and well equipped. SPA is working late until midnight. Limo service was amazing brand new Mercedes Benz S500 for the 25Eur for the ride from Airport to Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
MakhmutZ, Генеральный директор at Rixos Almaty, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear Ratomir J,

On behalf of Rixos Almaty Team, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your experience at our hotel whilst staying with us.

I am pleased to hear that you felt comfortable in our classic designed hotel rooms, our spacious and open lobby area, hotel and Spa facilities. It was most kind of you to highlight our staff quality service. Your comments are our inspiration to work harder and deliver superior service to each guest of our hotel.

Look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again and thank you for your positive comments!

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

One of the best hotel in Kazakhstan, luxurious and good looking. My room was huge with a great view to the mountains covered in snow. The staff is professional, good service but the prices are big, anyway it's a 5 stars hotel. Great experience there, can't wait to come back one day. Ah, one more thing, the balcony was large. I recommend it!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
MakhmutZ, Генеральный директор at Rixos Almaty, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Dear Alstani R,

We would like to thank you for your recent visit to Rixos Almaty and it was truly a pleasure to serve you.

I really appreciate your wonderful compliments and happy that you enjoyed your time with us. I am delighted to read that our hospitable team made your stay both comfortable and pleasant.

We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you again as a regular guest and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Overall, good location, good facilities, lovely spa, decent rooms, but completely bizarre service. Examples:

The floor ladies appeared instantly upon request, but the iron they brought me leaked all over my dress, so I couldn't wear it that day.

We had to check out before 5am to catch a flight to Istanbul. I arrived at the front desk at 4:40am only to be told I would have to wait while they were doing an audit of the books. I'm sorry, why do you think I'm standing here at this hour in the morning?!

At a breakfast buffet I like to graze, rather than taking more food at once than I will finish. Also I'm hardly going to put milk on my cereal and then go to pick up some hot food, so the cereal gets soggy and the hot food gets cold before I eat it. The staff did not seem to understand the concept so every time I went for the next course they took away my cutlery. On the second day I even lost my table! The staff were not very attentive when you needed to get even the first set of cutlery but were all too keen to clear your stuff away.

Other things of interest:

There was a single glass panel in the bathroom which acts as a sliding door for the toilet cubicle and the shower. This is fine if you're on your own, but if two people were using it and someone absentmindedly pulled it to the toilet cubicle side while someone was getting a shower, the result would be water everywhere.

The spa was really nice but there was hardly any sign of anyone working there, which would be a problem in case of a medical emergency.

I think they have a problem with people nicking everything that isn't tied down in hotels in Kaz, so the toiletries were super cheap and what was in the room was very limited. Same went in the spa but you could ask for extra things, sometimes at an extra cost.

We went in June so it was lovely weather to have breakfast outside by the park.

Proper curtains! 5 stars!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
MakhmutZ, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Dear Zoodle,
First of all, on behalf of the whole team of the Rixos Almaty, let me thank you for choosing our hotel.
We always appreciate the feedback of our guests and try to take into account the preferences and wishes to make their stay the most comfortable. Thank you for such detailed comments that will help us to improve the service in our hotel.
I ask you to accept our most sincere apologies for inconvenience faced on the Breakfast. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I met with director of the Food and Beverage department in order to take appropriate measures to avoid the repetition of inconveniences in the future. We do our best to train each of our representatives on how to properly handle our customers’ issues, including how to escalate problems that they are unable to assist with.
We took into account all your comments on the issues regarding Spa, iron and check out process during the night audit. We will do our best to fix such kind of issues you suffered during your stay.
Nevertheless, it is pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast at the terrace with the park view and we do appreciate that you praised Spa, room technical care and comfort.
Let us once again to appreciate your feedback and we will use it to evaluate changes and make improvements at our hotel.
Please feel free to contact us while you will be in Almaty and we look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Beautiful luxury hotel in Almaty. Has many amenities including spas, gym, pool, beauty boutiques for the ladies. Dining restaurant is very good with a French abd western style cooking although Chinese, Japanese and Italian dishes are also available. Breakfast buffets were memorable as were luncheon buffets. Room was very comfortable with just barely adequate air conditioning. Enormous lobby with bar service available in the sitting areas. Staff speaks very little English as do the local population but only a minor inconvenience. There is 24-hour money exchange in hotel lobby. Be sure to change back money to your own currency before exiting Kazakhstan as money changers outside of country seem not to be able to do so. Almaty has few tourist attractions for westerners. St Nicholas Cathedral was beautiful on the inside.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Dear Bob M,

Thank you very much for your warm and positive comments about our hotel and most importantly for choosing.

I am pleased to hear you in our classic designed hotel rooms, our spacious and open-air area. Your comments are our inspiration to work harder and deliver superior service to each guest of our hotel.

Look forward to another opportunity, and thank you for your positive comments!

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Wonderful hotel!! Beautiful and chic! Rooms are not too big, but with a nice city view. Great ambiance, center of Almaty. And of course great food at the hotel restaurant. I asked for toothbrush and paste, it was delivered in minutes. Thumbs up! Will be back again!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
MakhmutZ, Генеральный директор at Rixos Almaty, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Dear Madina0831,

Thank you for your kind words and the time you took to share them with us. I am so glad that you found our hotel a good place to stay, and that you enjoyed our hospitality. Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect.

I will certainly pass on to our staff your lovely comments and I look forward to welcoming you to another memorable stay in our “city of apple trees” Almaty!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

We Loved this hotel, the rooms are really well appointed and are very comfortable with lovely views of the city from the balcony. The hotel is very grand with its impressive foyer and offers a welcoming respite if you are travelling around the region. It is within walking distance to a lot of a the major sights and the restaurant and bar offering are really good including the breakfast. The staff are speak English and are so happy to help with any needs. I could not imagine staying anywhere else in Almaty.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
MakhmutZ, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Dear CKAbbott,

Thank you for your lovely review. It fills us with great joy to know that you had a great experience whilst you were staying with us.

Special thanks for all of the positive moments mentioned in your review about our property. It is comforting to discover that you enjoyed the quality of service and pleasant rooms.

We pride ourselves on our personalized service, so it is always great to read such wonderful comments about my team and our service. I will be sure to share your very kind words with the whole of the team.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Sincerely yours,