Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Jack Chee
Singapore, Singapore

I Seek You @ Hotel ICQ

Review of Hotel Ciq
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 weeks agovia mobile
There are four Hotel ICQ here in Johor Bahru, all which are budget properties. However, the only outlet that interest me is this one located in Trus Street because of its interesting hotel theme. Despite having read mixed reviews of this property, I decided to give it a go and booked a stay on a Friday night.

To travel from JB Customs to the hotel, there are two routes:

Route 1: Head to JB City Square Mall. Locate the exit near J.CO. Cross the road and look out for the sheltered walkway on the right side of Public Bank. At the end of the walkway, turn right and the hotel is right up ahead.

Route 2: Head to Komtar JBCC Mall. Walk to the back entrance and cross the road towards Zenith Mall. Once inside the mall, take the escalator up one level and exit the mall. Turn left and the hotel is right up ahead.

I had booked a Premium Queen Room and was accommodated in Room No. 503 on the third floor. The room faces a road and a building called Coronation Square. Unfortunately, the room windows are not soundproof, which resulted in some traffic noise being heard inside the room. If you are a light sleeper, consider staying in a room that faces the hotel interior.

For my hotel stay, I had to pay a refundable RM100 deposit, which only cash is accepted. Upon completion of my hotel registration, the Front Desk Staff handed me the TV and air-con remote controls, both which are to be returned upon check out.

The room air-conditioning works well in this hot climate. The Wi-Fi is a little weak, which works intermittently. The TV only offers free-to-air channels from Malaysia and Singapore. There are two universal power sockets at the bedside, though there is no USB port. Therefore, you are required to bring a charging plug during your stay here.

The room amenities include an electric kettle, tea and coffee, shower gel, conditioning shampoo and dental kit. Additionally, there is a mini fridge and an electronic safe. For drinking water, there is a water dispenser in the hotel corridor, where you can fill up your water jug found inside the room. Should you need a hair dryer, you are required to borrow it from the Front Desk Staff.

There is no partition in the bathroom, hence the floor will be wet after a shower. Unfortunately, the shower head is attached to the wall and cannot be removed. Both the shower pressure and water temperature works fine.

On the downside, the housekeeping needs to be improved. The interior of the mini fridge could have been cleaned better. One of the bath towels has frills and it should have been replaced with a new one.

Despite these lapses, I am delighted the Malay Front Desk Staff in Hijab working the 3pm to 11pm shift has a pleasant personality. She has a friendly disposition and helped elevated my stay experience here.

There are some amenities nearby the hotel such as a 24hrs Lepak Corner Bistro selling halal food and Punjabi Goldy Restoran offering Punjab cuisine. There are also two mini marts nearby, should you require drinks and snacks. I had read feedback of noise during the late night and realised that this came from the live band playing music at the nearby 24hrs Lepak Corner Bistro during my stay on a Fri night. The band only stopped playing around midnight.

While Hotel ICQ has its flaws, its ideal location to the Johor Customs and old town is a draw to travellers seeking an affordable stay here. If you manage your expectations well, it should be a fine stay for you.
Date of stay: April 2024
  • Hotels.com
    C$56
2.7 km from Hotel Ciq
View more hotels in Johor Bahru
All reviews toilet roll city square mall immigration shampoo reception
Selected filters
Reviewed April 27, 2024

I am writing to formally complain about a disappointing experience at Hotel CIQ, Jalan Trus (86 Jalan Trus, 80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia) during my stay from April 20-22, 2024.

During my stay, I requested room cleaning services in the morning of April 21. Upon returning to my room at night, I discovered that all my toiletries left in the bathroom were missing. Despite immediately reporting this to the reception, they were unable to contact the housekeeping staff at the time. It was evident I had not checked out, as all my personal belongings were still in the room. This oversight raises serious concerns about the staff's attentiveness and the hotel’s protocol for guest property.

I had to make a quick dash to the nearest Guardian store before they closed to get a new set of toiletries for the ones that went missing and I incurred an expense of RM157.75 – two facial cleansers, a shaver, shaving cream, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouthwash. When I discussed compensation for this loss, the manager, Jennie, informed me that only my toothpaste and shaver were found, and offered a mere RM50 discount voucher for a future stay, which is significantly less than my expenses, the stress and inconvenience caused.

Requesting a fair compensation and reaching out to higher management led nowhere as Jennie stated she was the highest authority available and refused to provide further assistance. This lack of support and understanding from the hotel management added to the stress and inconvenience of my experience.

I am dissatisfied with how this situation was handled and the compensation offered. It does not reflect a commitment to guest satisfaction or the seriousness of losing a guest's personal belongings. I hope this complaint urges Hotel CIQ to reassess their customer service policies and ensures no other guest experiences similar negligence.

Room tip: Stay at your own risk.
Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed January 25, 2023 via mobile

I didn't read any reviews before I booked ciq hotel. I just booked as I need it need a hotel near embassy. To my biggest surprise, the hotel is so nicely renovated and near to all the eateries and shopping mall like city Square and immigration. Best of them is the excellent service by receptionist Alice and her manager. They know I need to take care of my wheelchair dad and even suggest a few rooms that will need my family's needs and they assist me to carry the luggages and pushed the wheelchair. The manager even personally showed me around the premises as I am new to the hotel. Alice was so bubbly and cheery always checking on my father's well being and assisting us in booking grab. Other hotel staff are just as approachable like the housekeeping staff. The hotel has a nice roof top and I had a good view of the Fireworks too. If you are travelling with family especially senior. This is a hotel for you. The staff will go out to help you and I was so blessed to have met them!
With their 24 hrs round the clock reception, I feel so safe in this hotel . The doors are locked and only open when you are the guest. I really highly recommended this hotel to single travellers too or those with families too

Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Singaporeanlim
Reviewed December 14, 2022

Enjoyed our stay in the hotel. It's located within 5 minutes walk from either City Square Mall or Komtar, conveniently located. Check-in and out was fast and easy. There are some toiletries provided in the room like toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo, bath soap (liquid & bar), shower cap, toilet roll, they also provided bottled waters and a hand sanitizer. Our room was clean and quiet, just that if the neighboring room bangs the door you can absolutely hear it. Overall okay and will definitely be back again.

Date of stay: December 2022
Reviewed December 3, 2022

Comfy bed, basic room. First room smelt of cigarette smoke so asked to move, 2nd room was better. Reasonable for a good price stop over but wouldn't rush back to stay here. Location was okay but again nothing special.

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2019 via mobile

I like that the hotel was clean, near JB Sentral (though you'd have to walk streets
where sketchy people lurk), and nice-looking for its level but you could hear the weekend parties (sound-proof the windows, maybe?) at night. I was not able to sleep well for 2 nights and I could also hear the noise from the next room. The chiller is also not functioning well. It was a nice room but I'd probably book elsewhere next time; for the price I paid, I could get a better one.

Date of stay: December 2019