“A good choice in JB” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 104 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Park City, Utah
“A good choice in JB”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Our family of 6 stayed here for 2 nights and found it to be a solid choice in JB. We are gold members with Marriott so it was an obvious choice for us. The beds were of classic Marriott quality and the bathrooms were clean and well-equipped. I really like the Tokyo milk toiletries that were provided. It was a nice change from the standard issue Marriott brands.

The staff is ever-willing to please and the club level rooms and executive lounge were well managed. Our daughter joined us in the lounge claiming she couldn't find her shoes so the staff ran and grabbed her some slippers. Each morning we enjoyed a peaceful breakfast of eggs, potatoes, fruit, noodles cheese, pastries, breads, yogurt, cereal, and various juices.

The pool area is pleasant and the gym well equipped.

Given that the hotel is only three months old I was a title surprised that a few things were not in stellar working order. Our shower drain was clogged and the doorbell to our room was not functioning and one whole side of the mirror lighting was out. In our children's room the handle for the sliding bathroom door kept popping off. I hope these are not maintenance issues but rather kinks that will be ironed out with time. Maintenance did fix the shower quickly but never did address the mirror light.

There are a number of good restaurant options, like the barbeque shop, right behind the hotel as well and food stands just a short walk up the road.

The views from the 16th floor were great. If we ever return to JB we will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Aglaure
Ervina M, Public Relations Officer at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Aglaure, Thank you for your recent stay at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel and your feedback on Trip Advisor. The Tokyo Milk toiletries was something that we recently purchased for our guests and we are glad to know you like it. We were delighted to read your kind comments about your stay at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, and we appreciate that you mentioned the technical issues in your room. We have notified our Maintenance team and they have taken action accordingly to rectify the issues you have highlighted. Meanwhile, we all look forward to welcoming you and your family to our hotel in the near future once more. Kind Regards, from Ervina Masduki, Public Relations Officer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights with my family of 4 including 2 small kids. Was kind of surprised with the size, it is actually very small! Stayed at Hatten n Holiday Inn Melaka, both have bigger rooms.

The saving grace was the toilet. There is a rain forest shower installed and we adults enjoyed it very much but a tad troublesome bathing both kids under 6 yo w/o a bath tub.

The last night saw some flooding as the shower got choked. Heard it was a common problem :(

Had food at buffet spread, same breakfast food throughout my stay. Lunch was good though.

Security is an issue. Our companions had a handphone stolen. Please lock up your belongings!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank dreymin
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at our property. First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our services and our staffs were greatly appreciated.

I was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction in regards of the flooding on the shower, and on behalf of the hotel and of the staffs I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered. Be assured that I will forwarded your remarks to the concerned managers, meaning the Director of Engineering so that they can take all necessary measures to avoid these inadequacies happen again.

Regarding the security issue, by placing a strong emphasis on upholding Marriott’s culture of strong business ethics and conduct, we ensures that the team are devoted to the safety and security of our guests and associates. Should you need to clarify anything regarding our security issue, you are welcome to contact our Loss and Prevention Office at 07-3813415. The Manager, Mr. Saiful Madzi will be delighted to serve.

Your patronage of Renaissance hotels is very important to us, and we are looking forward to warmly welcoming you back soon on board our property, under improved circumtances.

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Disappointed as this group usually offer great hotels . Considering this is new, it was not clean and at 4pm I had to ask if my room was going to be cleaned!! Breakfast was not brilliant and asked for decaf coffee , which the staff found very amusing! I would not stop here again !!

2 Thank Helen B

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.

Thank you very much for spending your generous time to write this rave review regarding your stay with Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.

We appreciate hearing from our guests, the comments that we receive are the best tools that we have to help us enhance and tailor our services up to their needs. However, I was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction at some part of areas, and I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and of the staff for the inconveniences that you encountered. Be assured that I will forwarded your remarks to the concerned managers, meaning the Restaurant Manager and Front Office Manager so that they can take all necessary measures to avoid these inadequacies happen again.

Your patronage of Renaissance hotels is very important to us, and we are looking forward to warmly welcoming you back soon on board our property, under improved circumstances.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Overall I was happy with my stay.

The hotel is new and everything is in working order. The bed was comfortable and amenities were a local brand - Tokyo Milk instead of the usual Peckham in most Renaissance hotels I have stayed in. I actually quite liked it. Good water pressure, reasonably sized room and a good view of the golf course and Senoko power station across the causeway.

My rate included breakfast but I did not take it as was catching an early flight the next day and had to leave at 530 am. So no comments there. However, the checkout process took a while as it seems their systems autorefresh at that time and no checkout or payment procedures can be done then. Am not sure if breakfast downstairs would be included for Marriott gold/plat members but lounge access was given. The lounge was not crowded when I was there though the offerings were not that great. There is a small outdoor smoking area in the lounge and you do get a good panoramic view of the surroundings.

The location was not an issue with me as I had access to a car. However, the area around it is kind of suburban with some hawkers and plenty of food stalls within walking distance though it could get a bit dark at night. Parking was ample and free. However, it is not in town ( being in Permas Jaya ) and there really isn't much around except for the mentioned food places. Its about 10 mins away from the immigration checkpoint on the causeway though it may take up to 20 mins during peak hours.

Internet was free for all Marriott rewards members - so do join up if you're not a member and you can do so at the desk. As for elite treatment - well, you don't really seem to get upgrades unless you ask for it. A friend who was Plat staying at the same hotel a few days earlier reported similar experiences.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay and good sleep and the hotel is actually better then its competitors in Johor Bahru where hotels aren't all that great. However, the prices are slightly higher though corporate rates can be quite competitive.

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.

We appreciate hearing from our guests, the comments that we receive are the best tools that we have to help us enhance and tailor our services up to their needs. I was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction at our check out process and I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and of the staff for the inconveniences that you encountered. Be assured that I will forwarded your remarks to the concerned managers, meaning the Front Office Manager so that they can take all necessary measures to avoid these inadequacies happen again.

Your patronage of Renaissance hotels is very important to us, and we are looking forward to warmly welcoming you back soon on board our property.
Singapore, null, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Disappointment in my recent stay in Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel under the Marriott Group on the 15 - 16 June.

1st), there was no extra bed prepared in all 3 of my triple-sharing rooms. Upon my reminder, they informed that they had ran out of extra beds (my booking was made way in advance). To their benefit, they offered to give me a complimentary room that is on the same tower as 2 of initial booked rooms. This totally surprise me as at the point of my check-in, I asked for all my 3 rooms to be on the same tower, I was told it is not possible as they are running on full occupancy. Suddenly the complimentary room pops up out of nowhere and is on the same tower. Does this means the check in staff was lazy to help check and do the swop that is why he lied to me that it is not possible to change?

2nd) The breakfast arrangement was a utter let down as well. Breakfast starts from 6.30am to 10am. However almost all the food ran out at 8.45am. Replenishment was super slow. The ultimate thing was having to sit at tall bar chairs bending forward to the equally high bar counter table to eat our breakfast. Guests from a tour group simply waved to their co-travellers and went in where the rest of us queued outside like idiots. When we were showed to our table, somehow during the process of walking to our seats, humans will magically appear at the seats meant for us. And this happened twice not once. I really have no idea what the management is doing. Isn't Marriott an establised hotel group? Even the coffee we ordered was a disappointment... Out of 4 cups of coffee, only 1 was decent, the rest are simply coffee flavoured water. Even the items in the rooms are not consistent. My room has the foot rest and TV listing booklet missing where the other rooms has those items...

I will seriously consider staying in another Marriot hotel again in my future travels.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Adeline S
Dear Ms. Adeline,

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at our property. We appreciate hearing from our guests, the comments that we receive are the best tools to help us enhance and tailor our services up to their needs. However I was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction, and on behalf of the hotel and of the staffs I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered. Be assured that I will forwarded your remarks to the concerned managers, meaning the Front Office Manager, BLD Restaurant Manager and Director of Operations so that they can take all necessary measures to avoid these inadequacies happen again.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Checked in at 6 pm, room was still not ready. Quite surprising as it is already this late already. Was then offered to hang out at the club lounge, club lounge wasn't really impressive and even less impressive when I was was told the amount I had to pay RM450 just to enter the lounge (and that was just member price!).

Staff isn't really experienced, gave me 2 sets of keys mistakenly, one which was the wrong room. Was really shocked to walk into an occupied room, which thankfully no one was there at the time, otherwise it would be really awkward. Really questionable security.

No room service booklet available in room, was given a photocopied version when I called up front desk. It's renaissance, I expected better.
Called several times to collect laundry, sure took their sweet time.
Faulty key card, again, staff took forever to come fix this, making us stand awkwardly by the walkway as we were in our bathrobes. We just got back from the pool.

Good thing here is the fast Internet service which I am using to write this disappointing review. But you have to pay though, RM 50 a day, but it allows several device connected to it.

Come one renaissance, you got a lot of work cut out for you.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank zybisko14

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at our property. I was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction, and on behalf of the hotel and of the staffs I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered.

We apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered in regards of the slow check in process and the wrong key given. We have took a very serious disciplinary warn to our entire Ambassador in the Reception in order to prevent any future occurrence of this indecency. We also apologize for the missing of your in room service booklet. Be assured that I will forwarded your remarks to the concerned managers, meaning the Front Office Manager, Executive Housekeeper and Director of Operations so that they can take all necessary measures to avoid these inadequacies happen again.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

New and cozy hotel. Rooms are comfy and choice of food are wide. However, the services level given was way below expectation. There are still alot more for the hotel management to improve on for the services provided.

1. Room was not ready though we reached for check in at 6p.m.
2. Limited TV channel selection
3. No available food menu for room services. We called to the receptionist and asked for the menu. Funniest thing was she asked for my order. I was wondering how am i suppose to order if i have no idea what they have.
4. the breakfast choices were great but the services staff were not performing up to market.
5. called 3 times for laundry collection from the room
6. the dishes that we ordered for dinner was only been collected next morning, after we were back from our breakfast.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Marc_Cosyns, General Manager at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013

Warmest Greetings from Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.

Thank you very much for taking your generous time to write this rave review regarding your recent stay at our property. I was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction in regards of our room service, laundy and amenities. On behalf of the hotel and of the staffs I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered. Be assured that I will forwarded your remarks to the concerned managers, meaning the Front Office Manager, Executive Housekeeper and Director of Operations so that they can take all necessary measures to avoid these inadequacies happen again. We appreciate hearing from our guests, the comments that we receive are the best tools to help us enhance and tailor our services up to their needs.