“Good place to be in the nature but not for wildlife viewing”

Taman Negara National Park
Book In Advance
More Info
US$126.00*
and up
Day Tour National Park (Taman Negaran Rainforest...
Ranked #10 of 177 things to do in Pahang
Reviewed March 13, 2017

Its a lovely place to go for people who want to be able to get the nature feel whilst not roughing it in the jungle(a wooden walkway is provided for people who want to walk in the jungle and good accommodations). However for those going to this national park in order to see wildlife I highly do not recommend this place, its more of average tourist destination rather than a wildlife tourist destination. Whilst on my trip I saw absolutely nothing despite waking up early and doing all the "right things" in order to try see the wildlife. I am afraid the park is now surrounded by palm oil plantations and therefor it appears the edge effect comes into play. For wildlife tourists I would recommend Borneo as a good destination but for those just looking to do small walks and get the jungle feel this might be the place for you.

1  Thank isabellac951
in 3 reviews
"deep jungle"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed March 13, 2017 via mobile

Went there for 3 days 2 nights at it was a last minute plan. It was fantastic and amazing scenery, beautiful birds and honestly it was so big that we couldn't manage to explore the whole area. The trails to Bukit teresek and canopy walk are good, no need for a tour guide. I suggest to check out some exploration package for better experience. We only managed to do night Safari (rm40 per person) and rapid shooting (rm45++, sorry I forgot the exact price for this one). Will definitely come back in the future and am going to try the sleeping at a cave or a hide in the jungle.

2  Thank samiyah s
Reviewed February 18, 2017 via mobile

We were excited about visiting a rain forest even though it meant a really early morning start and a long drive (3 hours) but this visit was totally disappointing. Before booking I asked the agency (Justexplore Travel) if there would be a lot of uphill walking as that is something I wouldn't be able to manage over long distances and they assured me that it was mainly flat but uneven ground. Imagine my look of horror when we got there and were faced with around 300 steps to climb! Bracing myself I managed to finally get through it and made it to the top. All this for a walk over some hanging walkway where all you see is trees and more trees. No animal, insect or any kind of widlife to be seen! Such a waste. After that we had to ofcourse walk down the steps (maybe around 150) to go back to the canoe and over to the Orang Asli village, where a small band of indigenous people live by the river's edge. It was interesting seeing how they make fire and use the blow dart for hunting.
Then it was on to the 'white water' rafting that was not what you would imagine. It's the same wooden canoe that goes over small rapids. It was a nice ride down the river but nothing exciting. At the end of the ride we were taken back to the floating restaurant and given lunch of rice and chicken. As we finished quite early we opted to just be driven back to the hotel rather than stop again for dinner. Overall very disappointing and if it's a true rainforest experience you're after this is not it.

Reviewed February 7, 2017 via mobile

I hiked gunung tahan solo without a guide. It's possible but you'll need navigation. Here's how I did it: hikegunungtahan dot blogspot dot my.

3  Thank Alfred H
See more reviews
Reviewed February 3, 2017

We had a great time whilst exploring Taman Negara National Park.

From Georgetown we took the 101 to the park which costs under £1 one way (can't remember exactly how much) It takes about 45 minutes but it's definitely worth the travel.

Upon arrival i realized we had forgotten our passports and i was frustrated because i read you had to bring them.. however you just need to know your passport number to add to the log and luckily I have a photo of it on my phone. In January the canopy walk was still closed (gutted). The main two walks are monkey beach or turtle beach and we decided to trek to Turtle beach instead as we thought the beach was more beautiful and you can see Monkeys all over Malaysia anyway.

The walk was insane. It's not for the faint hearted as you're climbing hills often but it's so worth it. The forest is incredible, with sounds and smells and sights for sore eyes. We came across a few people on the walk all in high spirits. There's more options for walks within the forest but we stuck to one. Turtle Beach (Pantai Kerachut) is beautiful, tbh there isn't much to see of turtles.. we saw 5.. but the walk and beach is worth it. We slightly regretted when we got there that we hadn't arranged a boat to take us back like other tourists but the walks worth it.

Highly recommend this beautiful hike in this beautiful forest