“3N2D stay at Mutiara”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$126.00*
and up
Day Tour National Park (Taman Negaran Rainforest...
Ranked #11 of 173 things to do in Pahang
Reviewed March 14, 2017

Easy drive from Cameron Highlands, arriving early afternoon at Kuala Tahan. Dropped off bags and passengers at jetty, parked at EO secured parking at top of hill for RM10/day. 1RM 3 min ferry crossing to Mutiara.
There was a welcome drink after an unwelcomed request to remove shoes to approach check in desks. Chalet rooms were jungle rustic, dark, not well cleaned (acceptable for me but the wife was more critical). There were mosquitoes, the hotel supplied sheltox repellents but we brought out own non chemical electric zappers, caught a few.
We booked a guide for canopy and Bukit Teresik walk for 300RM. It wasn't necessary but Joe our guide was knowledgeable with the plants and demonstrated some interesting native uses. Weather was excellent for the walk and although it was raining overnight, the trails and boardwalks were dry. Boardwalk was in need of maintenance and repair in a few places.
We took a RM 200 river boat trip to Lata Berkoh. 4 passengers to a low but fast boat. We really enjoyed the river ride but it started to rain heavily and I was glad to have brought a drybag. The rest of us were totally soaked and abandoned the hike to the waterfall.
A la carte restaurant food at Mutiara was surprisingly good and there was a wide selection of local and western food, reasoably priced.
The only animals we saw were Abu the resident hornbill, the roaming peahen at the restaurant, monkeys, spiders and bugs. The marching ants were interesting.
All in all, a nice refreshing stay and good outdoors experience.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"deep jungle"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed March 13, 2017

Its a lovely place to go for people who want to be able to get the nature feel whilst not roughing it in the jungle(a wooden walkway is provided for people who want to walk in the jungle and good accommodations). However for those going to this national park in order to see wildlife I highly do not recommend this place, its more of average tourist destination rather than a wildlife tourist destination. Whilst on my trip I saw absolutely nothing despite waking up early and doing all the "right things" in order to try see the wildlife. I am afraid the park is now surrounded by palm oil plantations and therefor it appears the edge effect comes into play. For wildlife tourists I would recommend Borneo as a good destination but for those just looking to do small walks and get the jungle feel this might be the place for you.

1  Thank isabellac951
Reviewed March 13, 2017 via mobile

Went there for 3 days 2 nights at it was a last minute plan. It was fantastic and amazing scenery, beautiful birds and honestly it was so big that we couldn't manage to explore the whole area. The trails to Bukit teresek and canopy walk are good, no need for a tour guide. I suggest to check out some exploration package for better experience. We only managed to do night Safari (rm40 per person) and rapid shooting (rm45++, sorry I forgot the exact price for this one). Will definitely come back in the future and am going to try the sleeping at a cave or a hide in the jungle.

2  Thank Samiyah S
Reviewed February 18, 2017 via mobile

We were excited about visiting a rain forest even though it meant a really early morning start and a long drive (3 hours) but this visit was totally disappointing. Before booking I asked the agency (Justexplore Travel) if there would be a lot of uphill walking as that is something I wouldn't be able to manage over long distances and they assured me that it was mainly flat but uneven ground. Imagine my look of horror when we got there and were faced with around 300 steps to climb! Bracing myself I managed to finally get through it and made it to the top. All this for a walk over some hanging walkway where all you see is trees and more trees. No animal, insect or any kind of widlife to be seen! Such a waste. After that we had to ofcourse walk down the steps (maybe around 150) to go back to the canoe and over to the Orang Asli village, where a small band of indigenous people live by the river's edge. It was interesting seeing how they make fire and use the blow dart for hunting.
Then it was on to the 'white water' rafting that was not what you would imagine. It's the same wooden canoe that goes over small rapids. It was a nice ride down the river but nothing exciting. At the end of the ride we were taken back to the floating restaurant and given lunch of rice and chicken. As we finished quite early we opted to just be driven back to the hotel rather than stop again for dinner. Overall very disappointing and if it's a true rainforest experience you're after this is not it.