“Good Location - Older Hotel”

Hyatt Regency Kuantan
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Kuantan
Beachmere, Australia
“Good Location - Older Hotel”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Only stayed for one night - The hotel consists of four three storey blocks - some of the rooms have seaview, others look into the concrete block next to it. Our room had a seaview with a tiny balcony, it was listed as 'standard' - very standard and not what I would expect of a Hyatt. The room was old with cheap motel-style furniture, desk, wardrobe that you couldn't access because the doors couldn't open far enough, room safe, electric jug, small TV. Beds were comfortable with nice quilts, aircon was freezing and not adjustable. Bathroom was small with the shower over the bath. I hope that the deluxe rooms would be better than we experienced!

The amenities at the hotel were good - two huge swimming pools and a couple of shallow wading pools, pool chairs, towels etc. Gym, sauna, recreation room all listed but we didn't visit them. Coffee shop, restaurant etc etc.

The breakfast was a huge buffet affair that I found impressive - Indian food, Chinese food, American breakfast, bakery items - Probably the best part of the hotel.

It is situated along a nice white sand beach with water that can be dangerous at times for swimming - but it all looks very pretty from the balcony. There is not much to the town of Teluk Chempedak - just stalls by the beach and some small hotels that cater to the local weekend crowd.

Possibly if you used all the facilities that are available at this hotel it would be reasonable value - but I found it very expensive for a rundown bedroom with a good view. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Try deluxe - Standard was pretty awful for the price.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jan j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We had visited this place during first week of april. One of the small properties for Hyatt with good location. Adjacent to this is some eateries like 24 hour McD and KFC. It has a well maintained pool. Good place for families but not for newly married couples and bachelors. Most of the restaurants here are sea facing which just increases the taste of food. Good spread for breakfast. It has a disc also which had some local band playing recently. Not very good for ears and does not do justice to your drinks. We used to leave that disc as soon as they used to start playing. We were given room 2 hours late and same was case with some other guests also. Since Kuantan does not have many places to see otherwise, property is the only option for enjoyment.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rahul G
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I grew up in Kuantan and I have heard great things about the hotel in the past and it is considered one of the best if not the best hotel in town. I never got the chance to actually stay at the hotel until a recent business trip that I had. It was only for one night and it is unfortunate that I found that it was one night too many.

The lobby itself was befitting of a luxury resort hotel with large airy space but things started to go downhill from there. There happened to be guest ahead of me as I waited at the reception area to check in. The guest seemed to be having a problem of some kind and the hotel staff was taking a long time attending to this guest. Meanwhile the queue behind was getting longer and longer. Other front desk staff just walk in and out of the reception desk and never offered to help although it was obvious that quite a few people are waiting.

The rest of the resort area seemed quite okay as I walked to my room but it seemed like they ran out of funds when it came to the rooms. For a 5 star establishment, the room is pathetic. I have been to 3 star hotels that have much better rooms. The furniture is mostly of the cheap chipboard variety that looks really tacky. The bathroom tiles and bathtub had stains. Instead of curtains, my room had wooded sliding doors between the room and balcony. However, since the opposite block is only a stone throw away, the occupants can stare right into my room if I leave them open. So I ended up closing the sliding doors which made the room really dark and gloomy as there was insufficient lighting. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable. The TV had cable channels but somehow the reception was really poor with fuzzy picture. It must be a bad connection or something.

I was so disappointed that I actually took the trouble to fill up the guest commentary form which I very seldom do but unsurprisingly, I didn't even get an acknowledgement from the hotel management.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank RoyYap

Travellers are raving about these Kuantan hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 April 2012

How this place is rated as a 5 star I'll never know. Its a nice location, good beach and pools but that's it!
The service was so slow it was almost funny. We waited 40 minutes for a can of beer. At one point we waited for 40 minutes then decided to go to bed and have something out of the mini-bar. But that was broken so everything was warm.
We had dinner at Coals on the beach an they took more than an hour to bring out 2 of the 4 meals, 15 mins till the next one arrived and they actually forgot the 4th!
The A/C in the room was so loud it was hard to sleep, but it worked, it made the room temp about 10 degrees!
But the worst came on the last day when we noticed my girlfriend's ipod touch had been stolen from the room. After trying to sort it out with the duty manager for an hour or so we decided to head back to Singapore with a promise of a call the next day. They did call, twice in fact but they promised to send proof of who had entered our room but this never showed up, and a promise that they would compensate us but again nothing has happened!
So in summery - don't waste your money on this place. It's a nice looking hotel but so poorly managed its laughable.

Room Tip: Put your valuables in the safe!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OrangeSG
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in two adjoining Regency Club rooms at the far end of the resort . The bigger swimming pool is just a few steps away from our patio doors and the kids had a blast. Beach is well away from the public and is relatively private. Rooms were very nice and comfortable and we had another rollaway bed for our youngest kid at no extra charge. Nice landscaping too I might add.
The hotel is in a nice location with 3 fast food joints nearby to keep the kids happy. I heard there is a night market nearby but we didnt have the opportunity to check it out. Previous poster mentioned about the mosquitoes and it is a real menace. Luckily the rooms were equipped with a mosquito repellant device so it helps a bit to keep the problem at bay.
Overall we enjoyed our stay immensely and are already looking forward to our next stay there.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the ground floor as the kids would enjoy running out the patio doors to the lawn out...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank travelandkids
Ampang, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Awesome highest floor room even though facing the jungle. Quiet and spacious. Room was served with fresh fruits and my 2 years old kept on eating them.

The toilet is also nice kinda luxury bathroom.

And most important the food is great! We had a great breakfast and variety to choose from in a sea view cafe.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Not a perfect hotel , the rooms are getting old...however this is the best hotel/location after the C.Med . We know very weel the area and the other hotels located Cherating. So be patient and enjoy the beach... one of the best beach option close to KL (2 1/2 hrs driving)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bzh56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuantan
5.3 km away
Residence Inn Cherating
#2 of 6 in Cherating
10.2 km away
Swiss Garden Resort Residences Kuantan

Been to Hyatt Regency Kuantan? Share your experiences!