All reviewssup hameedsea viewfood outletswalking distancejalan penangbig roomhigh floorprangin mallbudget hotelhot watergeorgetownkomtarirontub
Reviewed October 8, 2016

I last stayed here years ago, just after I had graduated from USM Penang. I remember the hotel as comfortable though not luxurious. Well, it seems to be well maintained! I had a view of the sea though the window was a bit small. Breakfast was ... well, simple! Still, I had a comfortable stay here.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2016

we had our family trip about 35 person to Penang on 16 to 18 Sep, we checked in to the hotel around 9 p.m. with a tired body after visiting a few places. when we get our room key, one of my uncle key cannot open the room then he return to the reception and check what happened. the reception just tell to my uncle that this because of when we distribute the door key and mix up, we told the reception that we confirmed we never mixed up the door key, then she change her word said this is because we place the door key with phone and spoil the magnetic strap and no apologize at all and her face like telling us why we so troublesome. Fine! when we get the new card back to the room, once open the door someone is staying inside! we went down to the reception again and asking what's actually happening? the reception not even apologize and ask my uncle " jangan buat bising sini " (don't make noise here). i did contact to the manager, but the manager is so damn irresponsible not even care.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank dexchong
Reviewed August 19, 2016 via mobile

We took family room deluxe with two large size bed. The price is 20% cheaper (walk in price) compared to neighboring hotel. It’s a great value for money.

I totally love the Penang view from this hotel. We enjoyed the Seaview from 8th floor (see picture). The hotel provided tissue box instead of toilet tissue roll. It was very convenient. The location of the hotel also is very strategic. This hotel is located in front of popular Hameed soup and Thai food. Both restaurant was great but the price of Hameed soup is quite expensive. In terms of room service, they provide a very warm service. The bed sheet and the towels are very clean. The ventilation system of the room was great.

On contrary, there are few things that I strongly believed that can be improve further. The spring of the door is very old and no longer flexible. The door slammed loudly if you intend to close the door. Hotel management only provide 1 key for each room. It is not easy for people who got a family room (which consist of 4 people/room). Toilet wise, there are no hair dryer inside the bathroom. The warm water control is a little bit problematic. Its hard to get a "suitable temperature" (refer to picture). The toilet bowl is too near to the door. Room has a very non-distributed number of sockets. There are only two sockets available inside the family room and both sockets are for fridge and water heater. The sockets are quite far away from the bed. The quality of the television is very bad especially national TV (TV1 and 2) since that was an Olympic season. Credit to the technician who try his level best to repair the connection of the TV. The Wi-Fi connection is very bad. This is a major turn off for this hotel. In addition, the breakfast is not that bad. Egg station has less worker. We need to line up in order to get the eggs. They only provide orange juice, tea and coffee. Less variation in terms of beverages. If you are thinking to take the stair, please don’t do it in a million year. All the door is locked from the inside. You will be trapped inside the stair without proper air ventilation. Luckily there are cell phone line inside. Swimming pool is exposed to public. From the swimming pool, you are exposed to the neighboring hotel (refer picture).

My rating was based on calculated value of pros and cons. Each pros and cons were represented by specific values. After adding up all the pros and cons, Continental Hotel managed to get 6.4/10 ratings. I would definitely consider to stay there in the future.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

It was a short stay with friends and family. Nice and comfy hotel. Breakfast adequate. Strategically located, within walking distance to the nicest clubs and local restaurants. We got a quiet room, so well rested after our daily rendez vous in Penang

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2016 via mobile

Short and simple.... Yes it's an old hotel bla bla bla.... Yeah it's old coz I knew this hotel since I was a kid... and I can tell you that is a long long time ago, but it's good value for money....

For a simple business traveller, what I need is a low price, safe and clean hotel... And this hotel meets all my expectations... Cheap, safe, clean... Added bonus, big room... and I mean, it's big!... parking available, it's in penang Road where food is just across the street round the clock, 24 hours convenience store... WiFi is under maintenance now so some will not get the signal as much... For those wanting to have fun for entertainment, it's just across the road as well with many drinking joints... Near enough that you can crawl back to the room in case u get too drunk....

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business