Hotel Continental
US$78
US$75
US$72
US$52
G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
US$142
US$123
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
US$131
US$121
Campbell House(George Town)
US$90
US$81
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$96/night.

US$100
US$90
Muntri Grove Hotel(George Town)
US$100
US$87
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$38
All reviewssup hameedhotel workerstaxi standfood outletswalking distancebus stoprestaurant staffjalan penangshower headcheap pricebig roomprangin mallbudget hotelbuffet breakfastgeorgetownkomtariron
Reviewed October 31, 2016 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night in executive suite and the room is spacious can easily fit more than 5 pax. The hotel design is old school. More like late 80's and early 90's design. The price is reasonable and the breakfast is just alright. Located along the famous Penang Road, you can easily walk to nearby attractions such as Chowrasta, Little India and Armenian Street.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2016

Stayed 1 night with my family in a double queen bedroom. The hotel must have seen more glamorous days 20-30 years ago. It feels as if we are back to the 1990's. Let's start with the location and check in first.

Due to its old design, you will need to park your car first before you take lift and WALK down half a level by stairs to the reception lobby. You can imagine what happens when we are checking out of the hotel, especially when you bring big suitcases and small kids. The hotel is just beside the road junction and it is not possible to park outside the lobby to drop off your luggage. Speaking of which, there is no porter service as well. You do everything by yourself. At least the check in is smooth and the staff are polite.

Location: There are 2 convenience stores just next to the hotel where you can stock your drinking water, toiletries and snacks, quite convenient. Just further down the hotel there's also a shop that sell local snacks and white coffee, and Penang Trick Art Museum is just a few minutes walk away. There's a Shell petrol kiosk just opposite the hotel so if you want to top up petrol if you are driving, it is very convenient.

Facilities and bedroom: You can see from the lobby and lift design that this used to be a rather good hotel but today it's really in need of a major renovation. Furniture is old and the room has a lingering mouldy smell. Shower works fine, aircon works so well that it is still cold even after the aircon is switched off for hours. There is only 1 access card per room and the rooms are not very sound proof. Closing the doors will require some skill to minimise noise level.

Breakfast: This is probably the only good thing I can say about the hotel. Although variety is limited, the fried rice and fried noodle taste excellent and goes very well with sunny side up. There's also noodle soup, teochew style porridge, veggies, sausages, baked beans, toast and cereal. Coffee taste good too.

Swimming pool: Looks good in photos but did not try due to tight schedule and bad weather. Will probably try the pools in other hotels.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Vincent S
Reviewed October 8, 2016

The Hotel Continental in my well traveled mind a three star hotel centrally located in historic George Town. The hotel is a bit worn down although the rooms are clean due to an attentive cleaning staff. I was attending a conference and a private breakfast was provided. After looking at the breakfast I chose to eat at an outside cafe. I checked in at night and was given a room where the shower did not function. I called the front desk to report the issue and they said they would send an engineer in the morning. My first advice to management as process improvement is that there is a checkout PMI (preventative maintenance checklist) that is completed prior to checkout. I awoke to take a shower in the sink and then went to the front desk to insure the shower would be repaired. Since I am limited in review characters I followed up 5 times over 2 days with no result. The duty managers number rings at reception which is a poor deflection of responsibility. I found the chief engineer who never received any messages and was a delightful service recovery minded gentleman, He repaired the shower in the late night of my second day there. The Wifi is free and exceptionally slow. internet is very fast in MY. I would have changed hotels if not for the conference. In this instance I got what I paid for, Will not consider the hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2016

I last stayed here years ago, just after I had graduated from USM Penang. I remember the hotel as comfortable though not luxurious. Well, it seems to be well maintained! I had a view of the sea though the window was a bit small. Breakfast was ... well, simple! Still, I had a comfortable stay here.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2016

we had our family trip about 35 person to Penang on 16 to 18 Sep, we checked in to the hotel around 9 p.m. with a tired body after visiting a few places. when we get our room key, one of my uncle key cannot open the room then he return to the reception and check what happened. the reception just tell to my uncle that this because of when we distribute the door key and mix up, we told the reception that we confirmed we never mixed up the door key, then she change her word said this is because we place the door key with phone and spoil the magnetic strap and no apologize at all and her face like telling us why we so troublesome. Fine! when we get the new card back to the room, once open the door someone is staying inside! we went down to the reception again and asking what's actually happening? the reception not even apologize and ask my uncle " jangan buat bising sini " (don't make noise here). i did contact to the manager, but the manager is so damn irresponsible not even care.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family