All reviewssup hameedsea viewfood outletswalking distancejalan penangbig roomhigh floorprangin mallbudget hotelhot watergeorgetownkomtarirontub
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I had two rooms, one for me and my wife and another for local friends. We initially planned to stay for two nights, but after the first we just needed to get out of the place. Taking a shower at 7am with no hot water was the deciding factor, but several things were a bit unpleasant. The toilet didn't flush without a boost of adding additional water to the bowl. The tea kettle had a crack in it that I only noticed when I burned my thumb pouring the hot water. One of the plastic disposable stir sticks was filthy and previously used. There was mold around the sink. The ceiling above the bathtub had a section missing. The carpet had several burns in it and was generally quite worn out. The TV remote was broken and held together with tape. The windows were dirty, ruining what would have been a decent view. They only supplied a fraction of a roll of toilet paper, necessitating a call for more. And the thermostat was broken and the only choice was to run the A/C or not, making for a very cold room by morning.

I complained to the manager in the morning and after much argument (he couldn't grasp that since the water was hot at night and not in the morning, it wasn't a problem in my room that he could fix, but rather a capacity problem), he agreed to discount the room by RM 38 to RM 100 for the night. I told him that the cold shower was so unpleasant that I may consider staying the second night if the first night was free (I paid for two rooms and only asked for one of them to be free), but he said no chance. So I said I would checkout. He also said he would send someone to check on the water and I said there was no need. Of course, someone appeared before to check on it and it worked for them, but I guess fewer people needed hot water at 9:30am. It was worked fine for me at midnight. Meanwhile, when I checked out they charged the full rate and the manager said the RM 38 discount was only if I stayed a second night.

I guess when we stay in hotels they can give you whatever they want and our only recourse is leaving early (so long as you don't prepay, which I didn't). I've stayed in many hotels, some better than expected, some worse, but this place was just horrible and I say that mainly because their was no recognition or acknowledgment that they didn't give me what was promised.

P.S. Don't let the photos in the window fool you, the rooms look nothing like that. Perhaps those pictures were taken in a special "show" room!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MultinationalHK
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We followed the advice of the reviews and were not disappointed. Will definitely stay again at the hotel. Staff, esp one of the Reception Managers was very helpful. Helped photocopy a document at the office.
My husband being more sensitve to noises, came equipped with earplugs. Noise level was not too bad.
Can't say enough of the location. It was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2009

I think this is 3 star hotel. When i first entered to the room, i've been surprised because there is a bath tub provided. I didn't expect that as i only pay RM105 for the room. The room was ok. i stayed at Superior Room. But i think my room is not big as as my parent room..nice view from room..u can see the beach and the Penang Bridge.. One thing that i dont like is my room smell not good.I'm not sure what smell it is. But my parent room was ok.
For food, i think it is worth cause i didnt expect much variety of food for what i pay. They provide Fried Rice, Kuew Teow Goreng Vege, Fried Egg, small sosej, bread and cereal.
Overall, i enjoy stayed here.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Well all I can say is we were pleasantly surprised especially when comparing it to other places of similar $ in the area like say, Hutton Lodge at 90 myr for a double room with bathroom ,which is exactly what you got, cheap double bed, smallish room and smallish bathroom, clean but no view, but it's a nice building from outside.

We paid 108myr for a room at the continental (inc Breakfast) which we only ate once in the 2 week stay, breaky was ok as in it was food (Noodles, Rice, eggs, those small chicken sausages, pre mix juice etc), but we prefer the milky coffee and various Roti and curries from Jawa about 100 metres down the road for a few ringit or the great dim sum at The Steamboat Restaurant on Macalister.

The room.

Well we had booked this in advance and did a bit of back and forth email with the hotel asking for a nice room as we had read some poor reports on trip advisor, but in all honesty after seeing some of the other rooms on our floor, (poked head in while cleaning) the rooms looked pretty much the same, which is like in the pics.

[--]

Yes, the room was dated but clean (Oh well, it was cheap and convenient)
Yes, there was mold around the air con outlet (see above)
Yes, there was flaky paint in spots,(see above)
The towels were ordinary (But very cheap to buy your own nice ones if so inclined)
It did smell of smoke (asked for it to be sprayed and smell was gone, we did not notice it and we don't smoke)
and we had to ask for different pillows as ours were to big

But the A/c was cold, the bed was comfy, the room was large and quiet, the view was good and the window opened, the fridge was cold for the beers, it has a pool and of course it was in a great part of town with The Red Garden Hawkers Market next door http://www.redgarden-food.com/index.php
, Free CAT bus stop 50 metres down the road and Free car parking

It's a cheap room, It's not the E&O, but it seems some commenting here expect it to be.

I will happily stay again and have recommended it as a convenient clean cheapie on other forums.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sabahcat
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Dont even know where to start. We were staying for 3 nights at a cost of 108rm per night, the reception wanted 600 rm deposit which we refused to give. The room was horrendous, the stench of old smoke was seeping from every corner. The windows were yellow nocotine covered through lack of cleaning. The bathroom had a strong stench of urine and the mirror was splattered in soap from umpteen shaves from the past. None of the mirrors were clean, which makes me think it is time for a new head housekeeper. We asked reception to send someone to clean the mirror in the bathroom, this was ordered by the manager, when we went back to our room later we discovered that it had not been done. Just because a room needs refurbished it does not mean it should be filthy. I had to laugh at the reception staff asking if we had taken drink from the mini bar - what drink? it was an empty fridge. There was a kettle in the room but the only drink option was a packet of instant tea which already had powder milk and sugar in it, so if you dont take sugar tough luck. There was no coffee option. When you come into the reception it looks really nice but is not a good indication of what to expect when you get out of the lift, the carpets are disgusting - why have carpets at all in the hallways or the rooms, tiles would be better and easier to clean. Our room had not seen a hoover or duster for quite some time, the bedside lamps were thick with a sticky dusty substance- i have stayed in cleaner youth hostels. The bathroom ceiling had sections taken out of it, when you looked up into the missing section all you can see are breeze blocks and precariously hanging wires attached to strip lighting which concerned me, especially the one above the bath. My advice is to book elswhere and pay a few rms more. I am a smoker and i could not stand the stale stench of smoke that clung to everything, do yourself a favour and stay elswhere. The swimming pool is a puddle, the breakfast is very basic but good coffee.
Penang itself was lovely, the temples were fantastic and great food, The Maharaja which was a short walk form the hotel was excellent and so was the Red Garden, this gave you the choice to try many foods. Lots of shopping and sightseeing, try the butterfly farm .

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple