All reviewssup hameedsea viewfood outletswalking distancejalan penangbig roomhigh floorprangin mallbudget hotelhot watergeorgetownkomtarirontub
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I stayed end of February for 5 days in the Hotel Continental. I am not spoiled and used of travelling in Asia (living in China) but the Hotel Continental is really a low end one. The room would be ok if the management would take the effort of having a new painting, of cleaning the carpet cleaned - the walls in the room were dirty and on a lot of spots full of fungi...certainly everything else than healthy. The room was not on the poolside & it was extremely noisy - ideal room for young guys who like disco music free of charge all night...! Service overall was poor - of course if despite these negative points the hotel was full - why should they do something...the internet is a total disaster and it is not even worthwhile calling this even "internet" - overall, it could be a good place, but it is really completely "rundown"...a pity!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Bed was clean, pool is small but OK. For the price this hotel is just fine.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I chose this hotel simply because of the location and I had to change my reservations at a different hotel at the last minute. First, the location was great. We were not far from historical sights (i.e. blue mansion) so during the day, it was an easy walk. We were also not far from western bars/pubs and restaurants too although we didn't bother to go to any...I mean, you're in a different country to experience the local flavors right? The hotel is a hop and skip away from the night market which has all the local food you can try. At the night that we were there, there were also old time singers from Taiwan doing their thing. Quite interesting and somewhat pleasant.

Other than the location, this hotel is a pretty sad and run-down. The room decor was from the 70s and it seems like the hotel management hasn't bother to upgrade ANYTHING. The room and bathroom was semi-clean. In the morning, we went for the free breakfast and I have to say that it was aweful. The selection was bad -- toast, pork sausage, pan-friend noodles, friend rice, and watermelon.

The staff looks bored and unattentive. I wish there was more to say but I only stayed one night and it was more than enough.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank nikki_eatworld
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I had two rooms, one for me and my wife and another for local friends. We initially planned to stay for two nights, but after the first we just needed to get out of the place. Taking a shower at 7am with no hot water was the deciding factor, but several things were a bit unpleasant. The toilet didn't flush without a boost of adding additional water to the bowl. The tea kettle had a crack in it that I only noticed when I burned my thumb pouring the hot water. One of the plastic disposable stir sticks was filthy and previously used. There was mold around the sink. The ceiling above the bathtub had a section missing. The carpet had several burns in it and was generally quite worn out. The TV remote was broken and held together with tape. The windows were dirty, ruining what would have been a decent view. They only supplied a fraction of a roll of toilet paper, necessitating a call for more. And the thermostat was broken and the only choice was to run the A/C or not, making for a very cold room by morning.

I complained to the manager in the morning and after much argument (he couldn't grasp that since the water was hot at night and not in the morning, it wasn't a problem in my room that he could fix, but rather a capacity problem), he agreed to discount the room by RM 38 to RM 100 for the night. I told him that the cold shower was so unpleasant that I may consider staying the second night if the first night was free (I paid for two rooms and only asked for one of them to be free), but he said no chance. So I said I would checkout. He also said he would send someone to check on the water and I said there was no need. Of course, someone appeared before to check on it and it worked for them, but I guess fewer people needed hot water at 9:30am. It was worked fine for me at midnight. Meanwhile, when I checked out they charged the full rate and the manager said the RM 38 discount was only if I stayed a second night.

I guess when we stay in hotels they can give you whatever they want and our only recourse is leaving early (so long as you don't prepay, which I didn't). I've stayed in many hotels, some better than expected, some worse, but this place was just horrible and I say that mainly because their was no recognition or acknowledgment that they didn't give me what was promised.

P.S. Don't let the photos in the window fool you, the rooms look nothing like that. Perhaps those pictures were taken in a special "show" room!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MultinationalHK
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We followed the advice of the reviews and were not disappointed. Will definitely stay again at the hotel. Staff, esp one of the Reception Managers was very helpful. Helped photocopy a document at the office.
My husband being more sensitve to noises, came equipped with earplugs. Noise level was not too bad.
Can't say enough of the location. It was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple