“Great stay in friendly environment.”
Review of Hotel Royal Penang

Hotel Royal Penang
Ranked #60 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 22 May 2017

This was a bit of a find. Central to everything in George Town and very friendly.
We arrived some 2 hours ahead of check in time, but were able to book in to our room on the 12th floor. The guy on reception was very friendly and helpful, he even told us we could buy drinks etc. from the supermarket next door. This was connected by way of a covered walkway from the first floor.

Our room had a safe, fridge, flat screen TV, a good view of the city and sea, with pretty good wifi. The breakfast was varied and plentiful.

The location was next to a large shopping centre which was very handy and only a few minutes walking from restaurants. It probably took a good twenty minutes to walk to the city centre, although it was an easy 20 minutes.

The housekeeping was good and we found our room completed when we returned, sometimes as early as 2pm.

The only criticism I have of our 3 night stay, was of the final morning. We came to breakfast at about 6.45, to find the restaurant full of people (guests). The place had been turned into a pig sty. Food covered the floor, people stood around eating, some had five or six eggs on their plate and the staff looked on dumbfounded. it was as if a hoard of wild animals had descended.

Apparently, the hotel had been booked out by a man for all of his employees/students for the entire week. What had been a great stay, had turned into a nightmare due to the behaviour of these people.

it is hard to blame the hotel, they hopefully didn't know how ill mannered these guests would be, but it left a bad feeling about the hotel. If we had been there for another morning, I would have checked out. I watched in horror as young couple with a baby sat amongst this rabble and tried to eat their breakfast. It was a feeling of disgust and sorrow. I hope this hotel never has these people as guests again.

I have scored the hotel on what I saw up to that time, if i knew that this was a regular occurrence I would never return.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
HotelRoyalPen, Manager at Hotel Royal Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Dear Valued Guest,

First and foremost, thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Royal Penang during your recent trip to Penang, Malaysia.

We have taken note of your comments pertaining to the quality of our products and services rendered by our staff, and assure you that our main priority is always to ensure the best services and comfort is extended to all our valued guests at all times.
We have also looked into the adverse point highlighted in your comments and rest assured, we will take the necessary remedial steps to rectify the problem.

Should your next travel plans bring you back to Penang in the near future, do accord us the opportunity to be of service to you once again.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

While in retrospect we wish we would've stayed closer to the water, we did appreciate the location of Royal Penang - near food options, a grocery store, and a buses. The hotel itself was dated - not super clean, ash trays in our "non-smoking" room, etc, but certainly not bad enough to cause us to leave (we stayed our full 6 nights). What really stands out, however, is their service after our departure. We accidentally left a cell phone there, and they (in particular Ahmad from housekeeping) went above and beyond in helping return it to us. Excellent service!

Room Tip: be extra specific if you are looking for a non-smoking room
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
HotelRoyalPen, Manager at Hotel Royal Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2017

Dear Guest,

First and foremost, we are pleased to note that you have chosen to stay with us at Hotel Royal Penang during your recent trip to Penang in March 2017.

We have taken note of your compliments and comments pertaining to our product quality and services rendered by our staffs, and wish to assure you that our top priority is to accord the best services and comfort to all our valued guests.

Also, we will convey your message to our staff from housekeeping department for his excellent service.

Should you wish to travel to Penang once again in the near future, do let us know as we are in the midst of a product refurbishment and would be able to accommodate you in our newly refurbished rooms.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Everything was old, dreary and dirty, very disappointing
Staff not pleasant
Should not even have 2 stars
Way overated, price wise
Very depressing hotel, for a 9 year old hotel it is shameful
Definitely not recommended

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joelle c

Dear Guest,

First and foremost, thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel Royal Penang during your recent trip to Penang.

We regret to note that you have had an unpleasant stay with us.

We have taken note of your comments pertaining to our product quality and services rendered by our staffs, and assure you that we will take the corrective measures to rectify the points highlighted by you.

For information, the hotel is in the midst of a refurbishment starting with our rooms on staggered basis. This is to ensure that we have an updated product to accommodate our guests. Rest assured that our main priority is to extend the best services and comfort to all our valued guests.

Should you plan another visit to Penang in the near future, do extend to us another opportunity to be of service to you once again.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

My title said it - short and simple. We did not utilise much on the facilities provided but I can summarize that our weekend-stay was just what we needed.
Location was great (close to town) and it is good that you have your own vehicle so you can be mobile to go to the other places of interest in Penang.
We could not comment on the food because we opt not to have breakfast in the hotel when you can actually indulge in the local delicacies all nearby.
Judging from its interior (room & lobby area) I can say this is rather old hotel.

One thing that they could improvise is to have an elevator which connects the basement car park and the lobby (for ease of the elderly or the underprivileged).

Overall it was a great stay and we enjoyed it!

Room Tip: Our hotel room overlooked the city and we could also see the coast.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First and foremost, thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel Royal Penang during your recent trip to Penang in March 2017.

We have taken note of the points highlighted by you pertaining to our product quality and services rendered by our staffs, and wish to assure you that our top priority is to accord the best services and comfort to all our valued guests.

Just a brief, the hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment of its rooms on staggered basis. This is to ensure that we provide only the best comfort to all our valued guests.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again, should you plan another trip to Penang in the near future.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

As i write this the morning of my departure i'm actually sad to leave. I stayed almost two weeks and I cannot stress enough how wonderful the staff was. EVERYBODY at the hotel was super nice. Especially the manager Zahari.

The Buffet breakfast has a wide range of great food, 5 different breads, 5 different cereals, Eggs made to your perfection, pancakes, porridge, sauteed mushrooms. Abundance of great local Malay and Chinese dishes. All made to perfection. I really felt at home here.

The room service was outstanding, every morning they came to my room with a smile and did everything they could to accommodate me. They always vacuumed the carpet made sure i had coffee and water bottles and they really went out of their way to make sure my room was spic and span. They would also wash the bathtubs and give all proper condiments.

The pool was nice and heated, and the gym was good enough to keep up a work out, while having a beautiful view of the city. They have great machines.

I'm actually very sad to leave, but i had to continue on with business and return back. I can honestly say that if you find this hotel, you are lucky.

Right next door to the hotel-attached is a shopping mall where you can grab a healthy Malaysian lunch for only 10 Ringgit! They have 4 different type of chicken, Fish curries and something for everyone. They even have a sweet table with 10 deserts to choose from. If i ever come back to Penang I will go straight to this hotel, and nowhere else.

The cable channels have a good mix of American, Chinese, and Malaysian stations that you can watch and tons of movie channels. The view was spectacular of the city and ocean, it was a breathtaking view. You just can't go wrong here and every night spent here was comfortable.

They have hard beds and soft beds you can recommend what you like. For the most part the soft bed with fluffy pillows and huge comforter is what makes for a most enjoyable sleep.

This place feels like a home away from home. I have traveled all over South East Asia and i can say all around this is the best experience i ever had.

I want to thank the staff and everyone for their kindness, and hospitality at this hotel.
They are true professionals in the hospitality industry.

Thanks again to the manager for quick solutions to rather minuscule problems. He is a first class gentleman and I can consider him a friend. Meet him and you will see how amazing he is. You can tell right away, you are in a good place, and he makes you feel welcome and at home. If you stay here you will not regret it for a moment.

Thank you once again!

Room Tip: The laundry is expensive, you can find one down the road.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank thetraveler731

Dear Guest,

We are most pleased to note that you have had a wonderful stay with us at the Hotel Royal Penang during your recent trip to Penang.

We have taken note of your compliments and comments pertaining to our product quality and services rendered by our staffs, and assure you that one of our main priorities is to ensure the best services and comfort for all our valued guests.

Should you plan another trip to Penang, Malaysia in the near future, do accord us the opportunity to extend our hospitality to you once again.

Thank you and best regards.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Basic clean hotel but that's all about the good things. I spent time at the pool with my boyfriend and caught two staff members filming me in bikinis through the darkened gym window. As I was very unhappy with the situation I left a feedback to the receptionist where I told them that I am thinking of writing to Trip Advisor about the issue if no answer and I never got any reply from them. As if this would be a normal act of a staff members, filming half-naked girls while working...! All the staff members seemed to be men so in a way this lack of action from their side was sadly not a big surprise. Especially I am disappointed since the hostel management did not react on my concern.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liidialaa
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I when for dinner at the spice and was terrible experience in the f & b industry in my 20years. The main couse takes almost one hours and the salmon was not cook at all is raw and the lamb so so, disappointment at the and.........

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple