“quite comfortable but parking might be a problem”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Seremban, Malaysia
“quite comfortable but parking might be a problem”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I visited my friends in Penang in August. A lot of hotels were full during that time because of the holidays. Decided to stay in Cititel when we searched from the internet and found it locates in the heart of the Georgetown.
Since we are not familiar with Penang, even with the map to the hotel, we still lost. When we called up to the hotel, the staff is helpful to guide us there.
The parking space is very limited I will have to say. Luckily my friends drove us out, or else you will not get any parking space if you come back at night.
The room has been refurbished I believe because of the design and set up. It's quite comfortable for short stay.
Food stalls are available and Komtar is within walking distance. You can get Penang local delights nearby.
The pub street is not far from the hotel and it's very happening at night.
Not sure the management can look into the parking space for the hotel guests because it's really full.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Guest

Warmest greetings! Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay in Penang with us.

I am indeed very delighted to know that our services and facilities at Cititel Penang were up to your expectations, and that you had enjoyed UPR (Upper Penang Road – the entertainment and dining hub of George Town).

On a less positive note with regards to our car park facility, the car park lots within the hotel are usually sufficient for our in-house guests' usage, but locating a space to park may be a bit of a challenge during the time when our function halls are taken up for events at the same time when we are running on high occupancy, as with the case during your stay. In such circumstances, our car-park concessionaire has been duly informed that the priority of car park space is to be accorded to our in-house guests.

Nevertheless, thank you for your kind understanding and I hope that this issue did not detract you from enjoying your stay here.

My team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Have a great week ahead!

Tony Goh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My family and I had booked three nights at Cititel Penang in two double rooms. Upon check-in we were told by the manager behind the desk that they did not have any double rooms available (only twins) for the first night and that we had not requested double rooms. I suggested that they need to update their website booking page with the option of selecting double sleeping arrangements as I imagine most guests booking in for two would expect a double rather than twin sleeping arrangement. The manager told me that they have had this issue before. Despite this initial setback, they did manage to clear up two double rooms in which we stayed in for the three nights of our stay here. Rooms are clean, spacious and with views of Georgetown. Location is fine, but then again most places in Georgetown would be located pretty centrally. Wifi is a little slow at times (also check that this is free/included in the price you pay). Health facilities are simple but effective. Buffet breakfast is ok but nothing special for the price you pay. All in all, it was a comfortable stay at Cititel Penang, but make sure you're specific with your requests when booking.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to write in and I hope that you and your family had a good trip home.

I am sorry to hear of the rooming arrangements upon your check-in but am glad to know that it was quickly sorted out and that you and your family had enjoyed your stay on the whole.

Thank you for your suggestion to include an option for our guests to indicate their rooming preference - I will explore this further with our IT Team. In the meantime, we have, presently, for our online reservations, a section for “Special Request” (located on the same page where guests’ details are keyed in) where many of our guests have found to be most helpful as they are able to type in their requests/preferences during their stay here.

Nevertheless, I hope that this did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay in Penang and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to stay at Cititel Penang should you be coming this way again.

Have a great week ahead!

With kind regards,

Kamakura, Japan
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights only for a quick trip through Penang... it is ok for a short stay like this I guess but I'm glad we're not staying too much longer. The net connection is fast during the day when there is noone using it, but in the evenings it is so slow you can hardly use it at all... I am writing this from the coffee shop on the lobby floor, which is where I ended up after spending over an hour trying to check myself in for an early flight out tomorrow.

The room itself is tiny and devoid of any style or flair - literally just a place to sleep. The toilet only flushes occasionally (takes ages to recover from one flush and each one is very weak). The view that everyone is talking about was non-existent for us - we're just overlooking a pretty average slice of the city. Taxis are not always available outside, you have to find them yourself. The location is not as great as I imagined either - a bit seedy although admittedly central. We ended up having to get cabs everywhere we wanted to go and the cabs in Penang are quite expensive by Malaysian standards.

Service is ok. The room service menu is very average though - nothing that sounds in the least bit fresh or healthy. Free waters that were in the room were not replaced on the second morning, although when we asked for some they did arrive.

All in all, not sure that we will stay again unless there was a lack of viable alternatives.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a sea view because they don't all have one - ours certainly doesn't.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Warmest greetings from Cititel Penang and thank you for your kind feedback on your stay at our hotel recently.

I am regret to learn of the inconvenience of the slow internet connection you had encountered - we were in the midst of upgrading our internet connection line during your stay, and am pleased to share that we now have 4 (four) 12 Mbps lines and 1 (one) 10 Mbps line for the entire hotel. Our current speed is averaged at 20Mbps compared to 8Mbps previously.

Cititel Penang has most recently completed a renovation and refurbishment programme of our F&B facilities, Lobby area and the higher category of rooms. The rooms which you stayed in are our Standard Rooms, and are earmarked for refurbishment, which is presently being undertaken until May 2012.

We are lucky enough to have two views from our guestrooms, the “seaview” and the “heritage view”. I am indeed sorry that you did not get to experience the seaview that many of our TripAdvisor reviewers have enjoyed and appreciated, perhaps when you next book to stay with us via online, kindly mention that you would prefer a ‘seaview room’ under ‘Special Requests’.

if you had more time to spend in Penang, you would also discover that our public transport is just as efficient and offer a pleasant enough ride (and cheaper too!) to get you to your destinations within the island; or a trishaw ride around the Heritage enclave would have been memorable too!

Please be assured that I am addressing the matters you have highlighted with my Management Team with utmost priority so as to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay here.

Nevertheless, I do hope that these issues did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay and my team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Pro's:
-Location
-clean bed sheets
-free Internet
-rm 100 deposit for my 4 day stay

Con's:
-On non smoking floors I can still smell smoke
-toilet run down and my room toilet floor was leaking
-it's definitely a "working girl" hotel
-there is no safety deposit box
- I can hear the doors slamming from down the hall
-gross looking kettle

overall this hotel I would rate 3 star quality. The room furnishings are very dated, and cheap looking. If you are on a business trip, this is not the place to be.

If u are on a budget and want a step up from backpacking this would be heaven.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Guest

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang and many thanks for the positive comments on your stay.

My apologies if our rooms were not up to your expectations. The room which you stayed in is our Standard category, which is earmarked for refurbishment between now and May; you may perhaps wish to try our Superior or Deluxe rooms on your future visits, which have been newly renovated and are equipped with an in-room safe, a 32-inch LCD TV and bathroom amenities which I’m sure, will be more to your liking.

I would like to reassure you that I am looking into the matters you highlighted with my Management Team with utmost priority to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay here.

Thank you once again for writing as it is through your feedback that we continuously strive to improve the services rendered to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon and in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Located in the heart of Georgetown, the Cititel offers stunning views and adequate rooms. Its a pretty stock standard 4 star hotel, but definitely provides eveverything you need.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Warmest greetings from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed a delight to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

With kind regards,
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed in standard rooms with nice view. The rooms were cleaned daily with supply of local newspapers in the morning. Bathroom has tub and shower. According to my sister who had stayed there four years ago, the hotel looked like it has been refurbished. Breakfast was good with mixture of local and international dishes. They even have Japanese and Vegetarian food.

The hotel was surrounded by restaurants and food stalls. There is 7Eleven and a mini mart within walking distance if you need to buy stuff. You can walk to the famous Nasi Kandar Lineclear. Chowrasta Market and Hameediyah Restaurant is also nearby.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank InazKL
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us and hope that you had a pleasant trip home.

It is always very heartening to know that our guests had an enjoyable time during their stay here and thank you for your kind appreciation of our facilities and services. Yes, your sister is correct to note that our hotel has been refurbished, from our guestrooms to our Lobby and from the 24-hour Main Street Café to the addition of a new F&B outlet – the Citi Lounge, located on the Mezzanine Floor.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us - my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed at Pinnacle room last Feb 2011…
Opportunity to access the Pinnacle lounge: small, clean and simple setup..
Had afternoon snack which is tasty and later evening snack which is just ok..
Morning breakfast is at the coffee house: food choice and taste is not bad..

However..
The room is small and compact..
Small toilet..
Just tub (no shower)..

An incident happened; the shower curtain fell off and hit my family member.
Did left note (inform of the incident) to the manager while checking out..
Which later the manager just called and say sorry nothing more..
Not much for aftermath treatment..

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TSI_DSG
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay at Cititel Penang.

I regret to know of the incident which occurred during your stay, but please be assured that this is not how we handle the operations here. My sincere apologies, albeit belated, to your family member on what had occurred and hope that all has been well since then. I have also issued a stark reminder to my Housekeeping and Front Office teams on this issue to ensure that this incident does not recur.

Notwithstanding the above, I sincerely hope that these issues did not detract you and your family from the overall enjoyment of your stay here last year.

My sincere thanks once again for your kind feedback and it is my fervent hope to have the privilege of welcoming you and your family members back to Cititel Penang again soon.