“Clean and Easy”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

The hotel is clean and the staff are helpful and friendly. Located right in the city Centre, great for business or holiday makers. Lots of nice food and heritage sight seeing, all within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2016
1  Thank Jeeneze L
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

Selamat Sejahtera from all of us at Cititel Penang.

Thank you so much for staying with us during your recent visit to Penang. I do appreciate your kind and positive review on your stay experience with us.

I'm truly glad to hear that you found our hotel to be clean, our staff are helpful and friendly, our strategic location which is close to many nice eateries and heritage sites. I'm most happy to learn that you enjoyed a pleasant time in Penang.

Again, I wish to thank you for your kind support and we look forward to welcome you back again soon Please do call us if you need any assistance.

Take care and my very best wishes to you and your family.

General Manager - Penang

Write a ReviewReviews (1,096)

Reviewed 24 July 2016

Cititel, a 16-floor high architectural landmark, is not only strategically located in the heart of Georgetown at Upper Penang Road, a 5 minutes from Penang Ferry Terminal and only a 45 minutes ride away from the famous Batu Feringghi Beach, but also offers comfortable accommodations at affordable rates with excellent services
With the three in-house restaurants, guests have a lot of choices when it comes to dining. Opposite the hotel there is a food court with hawker stalls - Red Garden - that offers a large variety of dishes.
We stayed for 3 nights in a standard room, but were a little bit disappointed about the size of the room. The receptionists were very helpful and accommodative to our request and moved us to a much bigger room located at the corners of the building that overlooks the ocean, St. Francis church, the Blue Mansion and E&O, for a reasonable upgrade. The house keeping staff keeps the rooms nice and clean. Free mineral water is provided daily.
The full breakfast was quite an experience, guests could choose between western and Asian food and we never had such good and tasteful coffee.
Our special compliments and gratitude are intended for the Assistant Restaurant Manager Mr. Saw Hun Siang, who not only treated us as " Royal guests " and pampering us with delicious small bites but also extensively advised us about trips that we could make with local transport to places of interest; the way we explore strange cities.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the corner of the building
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2016

Selamat Sejahtera from all of us at Cititel Penang.

Thank you so much for staying with us during your recent holiday visit to Penang and I do appreciate your comprehensive review on your stay experience on Trip Advisor.

I am most pleased to learn that you appreciated the strategic location of our hotel, comfortable guest rooms at affordable rates, the variety of restaurants available in our hotel as well as local eateries within walking distance from our doorstep. I am truly grateful to you for your kind comments on our staff services from Housekeeping to Front Office and Food & Beverage departments. I will certainly convey your message to Mr Saw at Main Street Cafe on your special compliments and gratitude for his pampering service and the little gestures. I strongly believe that he was indeed very honoured to assist you in any way he can.

Once again, I thank you again for your kind support and positive comments. My team and I do look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again, as we are keen to serve you better on your next visit. Please take care and I wish you and your family the very best.

Take care and see you soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

Service was great! Hotel has specially decorated the room in celebration of our wedding anniversary and have given us a room with good sea view. Prompt in service when I've requested additional pillow. Will return in my next visit to Penang. It's certainly added to my good memories in Penang.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eileenleow
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2016

Selamat Sejahtera from all of us at Cititel Penang.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Penang for your wedding anniversary. I would like to take this opportunity to wish the both of you a Happy Wedding Anniversary and may you be blessed with everlasting happiness and love for always.

I am indeed thankful to you for your kind remarks having appreciated our services rendered during your stay, which left a memorable experience for the both of you. I'm also glad to learn that you enjoyed the view from your room and that you are pleased with the decoration by our Housekeeping staffs. It is our every duty to ensure that our valued guests enjoy a totally fulfilling stay with us, as we hope that you will visit us again soon.

I thank you once again for your kind support. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance. Do take care and I wish you both the best of luck in all that you do.

Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

I went to visit penang with my family stayed for 3 night. The welcoming staff were great because this is my second time to stay in the hotel after 20 years. The feelungs were great. The room was ckean i stayed in room 818 nice view but my kids had even more perfect sea view at 811.
The breakfast was perfect with great varieties. And great thank you to staff at the breakfast lounge Eime she was very friendly and helpful. Also thankyou to the receptionist on the day we booked in she was excellent. I do recommend this hotel and i will go back again soon hopfuly sooner than befor.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank candle-rose
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

Selamat Sejahtera from all of us at Cititel Penang.

Thank you for making us your preferred accommodation choice on your recent visit to Penang, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and your lovely family for your kind and continuous support.

I am truly grateful to hear that you had a great stay with us and I must thank you for your positive remarks on our staff services, your rooms, the breakfast variety and our staff at Main Street Café, Eime and front desk receptionist who both assisted you in any way they can.

Many thanks again for your kind support and great recommendations. My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Please do give us a call if you need any assistance. Take care and I wish you and your family the very best. See you soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

Located in the middle of the city and it's easy to get transportation. There's a free bus ride station in front of the hotel to go around in the city. The infamous Nasi kandar is also around the corner.

Room is up to expectations. Clean and comfortable.

Breakfast spread is real good. They have local, Western and also Japanese spread.

Staff are very helpful and friendly. Thank you to Suzanna and Ms Soon (FOM) for recommending us places to eat. Thank you to Mr Tony for accommodating us even at the very last minute. Would definitely come back here to stay.

I highly recommend this place to stay if you want a hotel that's not too expensive and in the middle of the city.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank LiquidDream869

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your vacation to Penang. I do appreciate your splendid review on Trip Advisor.

It is indeed a great motivation to all of us here at Cititel Penang to know that you found our hotel to be strategically located with numerous infamous local Penang food around the corner.

I'm very pleased to learn that you appreciated your clean and comfortable room as well as our buffet breakfast spread. But most of all. thank you for your kind comments on our staff services. I'm sure they were indeed honoured to be able to assist you during your stay.

I would like to sincerely thank you for your kind support and for the excellent recommendation. I do appreciate it very much. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance and in the meantime, please take care and I wish you and your family the best of health and great success.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

Booked this hotel for my parents for their trip to Penang. Their feedback is that the location is good and food is nice. They were impressed by the service provided by the hotel staffs. They don't have to worry about anything. Can consider coming back for the next trip~

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kwan Ling T
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

Selamat Sejahtera from all of us at Cititel Penang.

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your parents' stay in Penang. I am truly grateful for your kind review on Trip Advisor, having appreciated our hotel location and food.

I'm also pleased to hear that your parents were impressed with the service provided by our staff. However, it is our every duty to ensure each and every valued guest at Cititel Penang enjoy a totally fulfilling stay with us.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming your parents and yourself, back again soon.

Take care and my very best wishes.

Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

Probably not the hotel for families with small kids. The twin bed room type is separated by a drawer attached to the wall so if you have two small kids like me, opt instead for the king-sized bed room type.

There is an extra pillow in the wardrobe (look up). The TV is attached to the wall and the on switch is on the back panel (need some figuring out). No cartoon channels, be forewarned.

The room design feels old school, and probably has seen better days, which you can't tell from the looks of the stunning lobby. Our room has both air conditioning and a ceiling fan (which caught me by surprise). Ventilation of the toilet needs improvement.

Staff is friendly and chatty. The lift needs a key card to work. There are a few shops attached internally to the hotel. There are two Japanese restaurants, and a florist all the way at the back.

Outside there are plenty of places to eat nearby, walking distance, you can opt out of the hotel breakfast if you are on a budget.

There is a convenience store opposite which is open 24 hours and a Pure pharmacy (turn right when you exit the hotel and keep walking) for your daily essential needs. You may need to bring your own soap and shampoo. The amount provided by the hotel wasn't enough for us (just saying). They were very generous with drinking water though.

Right outside the hotel, to your left as you exit the hotel is a row of trishaws. Basically you get cycled around in a fancy-looking cushybbench-on-a-bicycle. Tour guide thrown in for free.

It costs about MYR40 per hour. And they can drop you off wherever you like and wait for you to take pictures or shop.

I'd suggest you take this early in the morning when it isn't so hot, and ask them about anything and everything. Our guide knows the rates of all the hotels and attractions in the area.

He also cycles into and towards oncoming traffic and tells us to not freak out. The cars there give way to trishaws, most of the time. It's an experience you should try.

To get a taste of Penang on the ground, I suggest you take this ride and be picky about the guide, not what the trishaw looks like. Our guide is young, funny, well versed in many languages, isn't apologetic about his drinking habit, pragmatic and extremely chatty.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank travelwittkids

Selamat Sejahtera from all of us at Cititel Penang.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent holiday visit to Penang. I am truly grateful to you for taking precious time off to pen down a comprehensive review on Trip Advisor.

I do appreciate your kind comments pertaining to our facilities and I'm glad to know that you appreciated our hotel location with the various eateries and shops nearby, our hotel facilities and staff services, and the trishaw services available right at our hotel's doorstep, during your stay with us. On the other hand, I had taken a serious note on your feedback regarding the ventilation in the bathroom and had instructed our Maintenance Officer to immediately rectify the issue to avoid recurrence.

I'm glad to learn that you had a pleasant trishaw ride experience around the city centre and that you found the guide to be rather informative.

Again, I thank you for your kind support and my team and I do look forward to welcome you back again soon. Please feel free to call on us for any assistance.

Take care and my very best wishes to you and your family.