“Perfect location -in between city and beach”

Evergreen Laurel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 10 September 2015

This is an excellent hotel with a good mid area location between city centre and beaches. Rooms are clean and adequately sized. Breakfast has a good international spread. Within the vicinity there are lots of local restaurants and at the other end of the road , about 15 minutes walk away, you have all the shopping precincts.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank TWGoh

Reviewed 9 September 2015

Located at tourist attraction area Gurney Drive. Staff are friendly and the room are clean and price average. Buffet breakfast so so. But Chinese restaurant is great.Good to stay there for business or family outing purpose.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CTTAN26
Reviewed 1 September 2015

I enjoyed my stay here. Room was nice and wifi was good, which isn't always my experience in hotels across the world. Situated across the road from the sea, however my room didn't have a view. Breakfast was nice, omelettes were very nice, I also had a buffet dinner there which was good. So pleased they had tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Staff were very nice too. Wasn't much nearby, but I was on a business trip so didn't explore too much. Overall no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Fourth_Monkey
Reviewed 1 September 2015

My dad is from Penang, so naturally he knows where to book and is usually the one who books our stay in Penang. Have been going to Evergreen for years, clean room and near proximity to town, plus the sea view has always been great for us. Never knew how friendly and likable the staffs are until I had to organise my company's trip to Penang! The staff that I dealt with, Melodie, is someone who is really friendly and patient and polite as well. I have tried liasing other hotels within the vicinity, but unfortunately many of their sales staffs were quite rude; they either not greet you, or just put down your call without saying anything once you are done speaking to them etc.

If anything, I really recommend you to hold your functions/ group tours at this hotel. The hotel may not be spanking new, but its well maintained and the staffs are great! Plus, the rates are quite reasonable too. Its definitely a pleasant stay there!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank irn_wng
Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

Stayed one night.

Check in/out - four out of five; staff courteous and efficient

Rooms - three out of five; comfortable, clean but needs upgrading

F&B - did not take the buffet breakfast this time but tried the buffet lunch.

ONE out of five; the spread is ok but quality does not befit the 4-star status! Quantity no quality.

Most of the food there bland; salad bar with two types of salad only; satay station mediocre, skewered meat are not thoroughly grilled thus tough; pasta counter ok, in fact the cream sauce is the best there.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2015

When we were checking in, we were told to provide a night's deposit when we had already paid for one night's stay as my husband used his debit card to book online. So I was trying to understand why they still needed one night's deposit for. And when i said that the process is funny. The staff at the counter was not very patient in explaining it to me the rationale. Rachael came to us and explain to us and decided that we just pay for the second night to close the payment and if there is any extra we just pay when we are checking out.

We booked the sea view room and got an upgrade to an executive suite when we checked in. As I could not make the decision to see if I want the upgrade, Rachael (AM or Mgr) showed us both the rooms. The executive suite is very nice and spacious for big families as it comes with a living room and separate bath and shower facility. The sea view deluxe room is also nice and simple. We decided to decline the upgrade becoz the view was city view.

Rachael was very patient through out the whole check in process as she tried her best to get the rooms we want as it was the peak period.

Breakfast was not that nice. I would suggest to go out and have it instead. Greeted at breakfast nook only when the supervisor was around otherwise very hard to see smiles on the staff face.

Hotel is walking distance to shops and shopping malls (at least about 10-15 mins).

Generally, a nice and clean hotel. :)

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

I stayed in this property in 2005. It was at its heights. After 10 years I returned for a short stay.
I had everything that could go wrong went wrong day. Including the check-in. I reserved a non smoking with king size bed.
At point of check-in I was given a smoking room. I was ok till I entered my room to find 2 single bed! It blew my top and I immediately wanted to check out.
The on duty manager on 8 aug was brilliant! She understood my bad day and tried all possible to get me a non smoking wt king size. She made my day and I am truly great full.
Thank you for making my stay pleasant.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business