“Delicate Moroccan architecture but poor maintenence”

Moroccan Pavilion Putrajaya
Ranked #18 of 30 things to do in Putrajaya
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed August 28, 2018

Couldnt happy more when you can see such a delicate building with unique craftmanship and design. Especially during sunset and the sun rays hit the design.

However, the pillars are covered with plastic sheet to assemble like the real one. The pond are stained with yellowish green moist and dirt. There is even vending machine inside the pavilion which ruined the environment. Rubbish is not cleaned up and plastic beg are left at the drainage.

It is totally a waste where we have such a beautiful building but a place that not properly maintained.

1  Thank Eurekasky
"design"
"lake"
"mosque"

Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

You have to pay RM3, but unfortunately you are not allowed to take photo/video using camera or smartphone. The architecture is beautiful, but there are not much to see inside the building. But the view near the building is beautiful.

Reviewed March 11, 2018

First things first - this place and its architecture is beautiful, but that is basically the only merit this pavilion has. A side note to families/parents who are heading there with children, there's walkways with water drainage/fountains anyway and this place is not recommended for children as they might fall easily if you're not looking.

To break it down and to speak of the entire experience in a nutshell, we felt that our values and visit was compromised by the security working there. They approached us for bribes. Here's how it went:

Me and my partner first went to the official ticketing counter to purchase an entrance ticket. During the purchase of our tickets, the staff assumed me and my partner to be there for commercial photography (as I was carrying a DSLR around and a bag of clothes from my earlier shopping trip, but in no way was I engaged in any commercial photography) and made me sign a declaration form because I was bringing my camera into the venue. I then enquired if taking a photo with my iPhone was alright and they gave me the go-ahead. Afterwards, I got my ticket and went into the pavilion.

Oh and another thing, the pavilion is divided into 2 components. One is the pavilion itself with gallery rooms, and another is the open garden area. The pavilion is the secluded one that requires 3MYR to visit.

While me and my partner was inside the pavilion, we attempted to take some photos with our iPhone but to our horror, we were promptly chased out of the venue. However, it seemed like we were the only ones who got chased out. The locals remained inside and were still seen taking photos with iPhone. We pointed that out to the guard but instead, felt ignored. One could credit this to the communication barrier but in that aspect, we already felt unfairly treated.

The security at the pavilion possess little knowledge of English so there was a mild communication barrier. We do not understand Bahasa Malayu but thankfully, there was a local nearby to help us translate and we then finally understood that the ticket was for a one-time entrance, and not an all-day entrance as I initially thought. (Though this really could have been better clarified, I must say. While 3MYR is a very reasonable sum to pay again for another entry, it really should have been indicated visibly somewhere). We were chased out of the pavilion and then proceeded to hover around the garden area.

While in the public garden area, me and my partner were clearly frustrated as we travelled out of the city to visit this beautiful place. We sat down at a corner and at this point, a male security guard then approached us and told us that we could 'buy him a drink and make him happy' (his words, not ours) if we wanted to continue taking photos or he gestured that he would confiscate my camera away. Also, a sidenote - one can choose not to take my word for it, but I sincerely felt that the male security guard was leering at me in an unkind manner and I felt very uncomfortable by his stares. He then continually prodded my partner to 'buy him a drink' (which is essentially monetary bribe, btw). My partner initially refused, but as we felt that we were compromised as he was pestering us, we eventually relented and gave him a small sum.

That was not all - he then spoke to the guard at the pavilion area and insisted that we needed to pay more to access the pavilion area again. We felt compromised yet again and gave in as we were on foreign land and wanted to stay as respectful and as out of trouble as possible. Soon after, we just left as our experience was severely dampened.

P/S: I sincerely felt that this place is biased towards locals and nasty towards or simply out to make a rip-off out of tourists. Another issue that pays homage to this statement of mine - is that there was another group of Libyan tourists that was about to enter the venue while we were heading out of it. Again, they were stopped. But another Malaysian couple managed to enter and stay in the venue just fine. I don't mean to incite any xenophobic feelings here but clearly there's unfair treatment ongoing.

Also, I must add that the nearby Putra mosque is way nicer. Me and my partner made a small but willing donation at the mosque simply because we liked and appreciated the mosque so much. This Moroccan pavilion? Not so much.

6  Thank simysmin
Reviewed March 11, 2018

The Moroccan pavilion is a beautiful structure, albeit a little small. The Moroccan architecture is beautiful, and it's an amazing place to take photos - or at least it would be, if photography were allowed.

We were repeatedly harassed for taking photos inside, given no explanation whatsoever, except that we were limited to 2 photos on the iPhone (we were not using flash photography). We were then promptly told to leave the venue. We tried to enter the interior of the pavilion again, only to be told that the tickets we bought, were no longer valid (It was a one-time entry ticket, no longer valid once we'd stepped out of the pavilion).

Disappointed but not deterred, we decided to take a few photos outside the pavilion. And guess what? We were, again, told to stop. The guard promptly told us that if we wanted to continue shooting outside the pavilion, we'd have to 'buy him a drink'. To make matters worse, I'd felt the guard leering at my girlfriend, making an already terrible situation worse. At this point, we were faced with two options, either storm off and leave, and waste an entire day's worth of travel, or to 'buy him his drink' and make the most of this already terrible trip.

One could argue and say that 'that's how things are' or 'that's how things work here'. And I'd agree - were these rules actually enforced across the board. The funny thing is that of all the people visiting, we were the only ones singled out for treatment. The guards generally paid little to no attention to the locals, letting them take as many photos as they wished.

After reading the many amazing reviews of this place, I find myself sorely disappointed, and a little disgusted really. It's a shame that a place meant to commemorate the friendship between Malaysia and Morocco should instead serve as a reminder to tourists like myself that even in a beautiful place like Malaysia, somewhere with a 4.1 rating on Tripadvisor (based on the printout they have at their registration counter) could instead feel like a 1.4 rating (I'm being generous here) instead.

To conclude, the Pavilion isn't a bad place to visit. Just be prepared to buy the guard a drink (and not from the vending machine - as I initially thought) or pray he isn't thirsty. There are far better places in KL to visit.

3  Thank Daniel C