“NOT A 5 STAR BUT 3 STAR INSTEAD”

Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 18 December 2017

Room: The room was large and spacious. This is what agreeable to. However, the room look old and need refurbishment.

Minibar: Coffee/tea for the room. .

Bathroom - Bathroom was large and clean. Bath and shower gel available. Water pressure good.

Location: Centrally located at heart of Kota Kinabalu. Nearby malls and restaurant.

Service - Hyatt Regency if mention to Sabahan will be a high class and luxury hotel to be step in. My first impression was really excited to stay at this wonderful well-known brand of properties and expecting it world class services.

Just for your info, 2 days before arrival at your hotel, I did call to extend early my stay with you by using the same corporate rate but paying by my own expense. This is was I usually done to all the 4-5 star hotel around Malaysia even Le-Meridien, and Sheraton. They all extend it without even any problem EXCEPT FOR HYATT REGENCY. Your reservation refuse to extend the rate to stay and want me to direct with my company HR. I was like... WHAT? What kind of policy is this? Does that mean the employee of the company can't use the rate except must got official letter from the HR? I'm sure that company will have a contract with the hotel to secure a no's of room per year to qualify for the special rate,

So I rechange my question and I say i would like to book a room on that date under the corporate. cash on arrival. again this is REJECTED. Reason is it was a CONFIDENTIAL RATE and I need to get the written letter from HR to get that rate. Crazy enough. Is that mean employee on vacation need to notify the HR about their whereabout just to USE YOUR HOTEL for the corporate rate? Totally nonsense.

End up luckily the room is large enough for me to stay with my other two colleague who early check-in. Overall, I was really disappointed with the HYATT EXPERIENCE.

Value: NO COMMENT as it was consider CONFIDENTIAL by the hotel itself..

F&B: No F&B..However there are plenty restaurant nearby with KFC just in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask room that have view of town or ocean
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
HRKinabalu, Assistant Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Dear Kennyahm,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu. I agree that the hotel is situated at a strategic location and it is very convenient to roam around at some of the local attractions with ease access. However, I am very concerned about your dissatisfaction about the hotel room condition. Having been established for almost 4 decades, we have been constantly carrying out facelifts for the hotel to keep it up to trend and we are working hard to refurbish our facilities image step by step. Regarding your experience on booking with our reservation team, we apologize for the inconveniences that happened to you. We will investigate this on this matter and please do know that your comments are valuable for us to improve on our product and services. Thank you on your constructive feedback, and do come to visit us again on your next stay in Kota Kinabalu.

Assistant Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (1,545)

Reviewed 17 December 2017

again, Hyatt did not disappoint my family and me.. our 3 nights stay was really great. great location and easy access to food and connected shopping mall.the food also nice.

high recommended to stay here if you are coming for business / holiday

Room Tip: high floor and sea view
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Dear sharin_haron,
Thank you for taking your time to give us a 5-star review regarding your recent stay. The hotel's central location provides guests with the convenience and access to various points of interest in the city. Thank you for your honest review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another wonderful experience.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

Our family stayed 3 nights in Hyatt. It has most central location, right next to Wisma Merdeka shopping mall. 500m to the Gaya Street and 500m to Suri Sabah . 1 min to the water front.
We had 2 city view connecting room and found the room most spacious. the room temperature cannot be controlled, we have to ask the maintenance team to adjust. No complaint but it can be very cold during night time 22degree
We skip the buffet breakfast cost 90 riggit per person. We had our breakfast at nearby coffee shop , which is opposite street . The coffee shop sell traditional noodle , porridge and bao at local prices. There is also 7 eleven and laudry shop ( 1 kg @ 3.8 riggit).Collection is 1 day. We found it very convenient and cheap.During our stay, it is raining every evening. The hotel provided umbrellas for guests to run across the street for KFC and little Italy and Fatty Kee. Very good location. The pool is small by my standard
The bed mattress is old and springy. The standard cannot be compared to Hilton or Le Meridien . But it is a good solid hotel in Town.

Stayed: December 2017

Dear WYL,
Thank you for taking your time to review and shared you experience during your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu. I agree that our hotel has the best in terms of location as we allowed our guest to explore local attractions with ease such as the shopping malls, convenient shops, restaurants and the Sunday market. However, I am most concerned to learn about your disappointment regarding the bed mattress. I can assure you that this is not the standard that the hotel generally adheres to. Nevertheless, being the town first 5 star hotel for almost 40 years, we are constantly upgrading the property. Thus, we will take the necessary actions to ensure that these incident do not happen again. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Kinabalu and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

We booked the suite room which is very large. Even the bathroom is as large as a bedroom. The breakfast at the hotel is the main attraction with varieties of delicious foods, western, oriental, japanese and local. 5 minutes walk to the seafood bazaar.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Dear MusKamalDiary,
Thank you for giving us your wonderful personal review regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu. I am very happy that you gave a 5 star review on our hotel. I am utmost pleased to hear that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast at our exciting show kitchen – Tanjung Ria Kitchen and our facilities of our hotel. I could not agree further that our hotel is indeed strategically located that it makes it easier for our guests to explore what the city has to offer. Once again, thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Kinabalu as your preferred hotel in Kota Kinabalu and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

The refurbished rooms at this Hotel resembles the comforts of home. The decor is warm and comfortable. Room size seems to be bigger with the sliding bathroom door. The breakfast spread is fantastic. The sea view is simply breath-taking.

Stayed: July 2017

Dear 77ismaili,
Thank you for your astounding 5-star review on our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed the overall condition of your room. I have to agree that the view we have facing the glorious South China Sea is breath-taking, especially during the sunset views. I am very happy that you enjoyed our service and please do come visit us again in the near future as we will be glad to welcome you back here.

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

The last time I stayed here was 7 years ago it was a tired old hotel then. A partial refurbishment has been taken place . I was in a club Rome. Very nicely job done . Large room and bed. Small but adequate breakfast and snacks in the evening at the CLUB lounge on the 13th floor. Full range of facilities and services. Information with pictures on hotel Web site . Ground floor completed with new layout and furniture . Same in lobby. Now a really good hotel located at the NE end of town. With MANY new Malls all over town and assorted god dining venues. Highly recommended .

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank silverfox69brentford
HRKinabalu, Assistant Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Dear silverfox69brentford,
Thank you very much for spending your time to give us a 5-star review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am thrilled that you found that the room condition is comfortable and large for you. I am also glad that the breakfast and snacks provided in the club lounge are adequate for your appetite. Thank you for highlighting the changes you had seen since the last time you came to our hotel. Being the town’s first 5-star international hotel for almost 40 years, we are constantly upgrading the property to keep up with trends. Over the years, the city has developed and it makes our guest the convenient to explore what the city has to offer. Thank you once again for your honest review and I hope to see you once again at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu in the near future.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

The exterior is old though the interior saw some recent refurbishments and more modern. We had lounge access - also a little old and furniture needs some replacement. Whats perhaps the saving grace for the hotel is that the staff are generally helpful and friendly - most take an effort in their work and delivering gd service to guests. Having said that, the lobby, exterior and hallways do need some work very soon.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear glnomad,
Thank you for taking your time to review on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to know that you are generally satisfied with the service provided by our staffs. At Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, we strive to give the best experience to our guest by being helpful and attentive. Being the town’s first 5-star international hotel for almost 40 years, we are constantly upgrading the property to keep up with trends. Thank you for your constructive feedback, as it will help us continue to improve our level of services. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you had experience and we hope that we will see you again in the future. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Kinabalu.