“Nice outing”

and up
Fairy Caves and Wind Caves from Kuching City
Ranked #6 of 81 things to do in Kuching
Reviewed January 3, 2018

Slippery hike, but nice caves with fairytale lighting. Bring sturdy shoes in the rainy season and read up on the formations!

All reviews
"kuching city"
"bats"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

We took a 45mins drive from Kuching town to the Fairy Caves. Best to wear shoes with grip (Adidas kampung was the best shoes) as the cave is wet from water drippings and slippery. A few people wearing slippers slipped and fell. Bring a torch/headlamp and a hat if you’re worried of bat droppings

You will have to take a walk up a tower of staircase to reach the entrance of the cave, which you will then enter a pitch black tunnel of stairs, and up 2 flights of steep wooden staircase which after that you will be greeted by a beautiful natural landscape of the Fairy Cave.

Cons: Safety is not highly practiced, i.e no railings, lack of handles/tall ropes for some of the stair routes within the cave. They should also fix some of the ropes which are lopsided as some people can’t reach it.

Date of experience: January 2018
2  Thank hsiehjunjune
Reviewed December 29, 2017 via mobile

This is an awe inspiring place. The main central cave is huge. I've been to some caves in the UK but the size of this one dominates anything else I've seen. It was RM5 per person (non-Malaysian) to enter so the price was very reasonable. However you have to have a good pair of knees to survive this place. Everywhere is steps, and these are not your average steps, and they are all quite uneven, so if you are a little unsteady on your feet, this is not the place to come. At the beginning there is a rather large set of winding steps to climb, then there are two sets of ladders to climb (of which is the way out too). So it was a little intrepid. We also went when it had been raining quite heavily in the morning, so not only were the ground and steps uneven, but wet and slippery too. I felt I had to spend more time looking at my feet and where the ground was than being able to look up at the beautiful scenery. Also, make sure you take a good torch with you, as in the darker areas lighting is not provided, so had it not been for the torch on my phone, I wouldn't have been able to see where I was stepping in some parts. I'm sure there was more to explore in the cave but my torch was not strong enough to give me the confidence to go further in. I think you can pay a lot of money for a guide but you are probably talking RM400+ per person and I'm not sure it's worth it. There are no guides at the actual caves and you enter at your own risk (according to the signs). Many of the hand rails are non existent and the ones that remain are covered in bat poo. Oh, and if you are screamish about bats...well. .. I would say it's definitely a place to go and experience, but do it on the cheap, take a torch and plenty of water, as it is extremely humid in the cave (I came out looking like I'd just got out of the shower in my clothes). There is a little shop outside that sells water, drinks, a few snacks but they also cut fresh coconut!! A wonderful refreshment after the caves. To make more of a day of the hour trip out from Kuching, there is also the town of Bau and a local lake. There is also the Wind Caves but we decided not to go to those ones as apparently they are not as good as the Fairy Caves... and we were too hot!

4  Thank Spanjulika
Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

I would recommend not to bring old folks and very young children along. Also, wearing slippers into the cave can be dangerous, it’s best to wear sport shoes.

This is a beautiful cave yet, it requires a lot of climbing . The place can be wet and slippery. Bring along a torch light too.

Date of experience: November 2017
2  Thank RowdyMonster
See more reviews
Reviewed December 25, 2017 via mobile

We took a driver for 1/2 day and went to the wind and fairy cave which are close from each other .
In the wind cave take a powerful flash light to go in .
No lights in it and you will miss to see the birds and the different kinds of bats . Take a sweat rag (it’s very humid and no breeze inside )to wipe your face.

As for the fairy cave it’s beautiful .Children (6-8year old)count about 500+ stairs to go around first climb the tower 150 stairs then climb few easy steps inside the cave to get to some steep low ceiling ladder . The greenery inside is magic . Be aware the humidity is so high inside we came out soaked.Also wear good shoes it’s slippery inside and muddy.

1  Thank Stroumpfette