All reviewscall to prayercultural villageno shoesbako national parkcommunal areasstarting pointriver cruisemusic festivalnice poolproboscis monkeyshammocksborneosarawakwetlandsshuttleretreatdamai
Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

I think this is overall a good resort for excursions. Very nice rooms, clean bathroom, beautiful garden with a large clean and well maintained pool. The food is excellent and even if more expensive than outside it is worth the money and portion are big. The resort is far away from everything but you can rent bicycles and go to the Culture Village (20 min) and Damai Beach (5km). Downsides are that the staff is not really creating a warm welcome atmosphere - they try but as often in Malaysia something is missing to come to the Indonesian and Thailand hospitality level. There is not much to do here other than laying on the pool eat and go for excursions. The beach is useless blocked by big stones and I think also dangerous due to some recent crocodile accidents. A good place for excursions but I would not stay more than 2-3 night

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed April 26, 2017

Each traveller having her/his expectations, it's actually very difficult to evaluate the Village House... Now, to put it simple (according to my expectations...)
The ''+''
*A nicely and rather confortable pool area. Well lit, decorated and furnished (I question the cleanliness of the matresses though),
*Bathroom (Great natural day light and hot ''hot water'' ;-)) and bedroom were very clean
*A No-kid-under 12yo policy (what a relief....)
*Helpfull staff (we haven't seen any trace of the management/owners...Lucky them...)
The ''-'':
*Outrageous Food and beverage prices, especially considering that many of the dishes we ordered were incomplete or unavailable (No mise en place?? No manager in the whereabouts???)
*An access to the beach which is currently being blocked by the construction of a rock and concrete coastal protection wall. So much for the ''romanticism'' of the place.
*No activity/points of interest at all in the vicinity, unless one joins the activities sponsored by the hotel.*

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank capsicum0620
Reviewed April 23, 2017 via mobile

I did not have a good experience at this village. The staff told to us everyone need to take our ic to them and they would keep it. Afterward, she told me of the no party policy. I had to sign a code of conduct that states no food was allowed in the room. Then my family was asked to leave the hotel after three hour of arriving. I wouldn't stay at this location again! :(

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Desmond S
Reviewed April 7, 2017

Such a beautiful hotel! So incredibly relaxing to spend time here. We loved the hammocks and reclining chairs with the view of the pool. The gardens are lovely, and the decor is really interesting.

Nice rooms too!

The whole place is romantic, relaxing, dreamy.

The eight course "Taste of Borneo" was a memorable last night in this beautiful oasis.

We booked a sunset wetlands tour. Gorgeous sunset skies, everything still and peaceful. We saw dolphins and proboscis monkeys, and after dark, spooky crocodiles, and an abundance of fireflies.

Also arranged by the hotel, we went to the nearby cultural village. We'd cynically expected a Disneyfication but it was wonderful and very interesting.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachel L
Reviewed March 27, 2017

We stayed here for 3 wonderful nights and loved it. We took a taxi from the airport and the driver knew where to go, but it is very hidden with no signage. On entering through the solid wooden entrance door into The Village House garden I knew it would be special, and we were not disappointed. The setting is beautiful and peaceful all centered around the swimming pool. The rooms are quaint and clean, and the bed was comfortable. The 5am wake up call to prayer at the local mosque didn't bother me, I awoke slowly each morning to the peaceful sound and then nodded off back to sleep. I loved having no shoes in the rooms and the communal areas, so relaxing not to have to bother with shoes. The breakfasts were very nice and the dinners were delicious. The staff were all so nice, polite and attentive. It is in a remote place, but it was nice to stroll through the local streets and the beach is only 50 metres away but we only swam in the swimming pool. One day we climbed Mt Santubong (very difficult) which is close by and they arranged transport to the starting point and picked us up at the end. Next day we had a Bako National Park tour organised which was excellent. At night we did the Wetlands River Cruise which starts 5 minutes from The Village House and although we didn't see the dolphins it was a nice trip. Would recommend this place if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple