All reviews call to prayer cultural village no shoes bako national park communal areas starting point river cruise music festival nice pool proboscis monkeys hammocks borneo sarawak wetlands shuttle retreat damai
Reviewed September 15, 2017 via mobile

If you're at the end of your trip and want to do nothing and read a book in peace. This is for you.

In a nutshell:
Pros.
- Remote location.
- Peaceful (unless prayer time annoys you over loud speaker nearby)
- Nice setup.
- Pool.

Cons:
- 1 hour away from Kuching. Total $60 taxi ride in and back. Taking 2 hrs out of your day.
- You will wake early if light sleeper due to pray speaker. (I didn't mind it though).
- All food and drink purchased from the resort. (And was rather pricey and not as tasty as traditional street food I've had).
- No internet to plan anything. And the signal they had was limited to the restaurant. Still didn't work though. This also meant all your excursions had to be booked through the accommodations own tour business.
- Beach wasn't appealing. But I'm from Australia where beaches can be amazing.
- AND the reason for this review. No cancellation policy. So don't make the same location mistake as us ;)

We actually booked this place thinking it was in Kuching. We were surprised by an hour drive from the airport to "almost nowhere", (the first 4 taxi drivers would not take us, alarm bells started to ring).

Upon arrival, we decided to get on the net to work out exactly where we went wrong and of course, the wireless had full bars but didn't work at all. In the end I picked up a business card and noticed they had a sister accommodation in Kuching to which I negotiated swapping to after our first nights stay. Although it was quite a drop in standards and price of what we paid, due to it being a backpackers room. But better than no refund at all. I felt like we were in the twilight zone, the resort had no guests and we had to sleuth our way out :)

If you are looking for a place to do nothing, eat all your meals and drinks at your accommodation, and be an hour away from Kuching. Then this is your place to relax.

Hope this helped someone to not make the same location mistake!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Drew S
Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

It's a small retreat place with lots of green. The workers are helpful and accommodating. Good for plain relaxing because there ain't much to do.

Those who are light sleepers might find it noisy because of the call to prayer (few times) from a nearby mosque. It's pretty loud but I was too tired to notice it. I stayed in a suite, and it was very hot despite the two air cond were blowing their maximum. But at night it gets cooler.

The food from the restaurant is okay too. Nice for a quiet get away.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2017 via mobile

From the get go I was impressed by this place, the pool, the decor, the rooms, the cleanliness, convenience, service, food and drinks.

The Village house was perfect for our large group of 11 offering us the convenience of having almost everything in the one area. We could enjoy each others company easily and still have a basic needs met easily. Pool, cocktails, food, relaxation.

Not sure why others have given a lower review. Staff are lovely and polite. If anything the staff may not understand exactly what you are saying, but hey youre in another country and they are doing their best to understand you. Rephrase it, try again and embrace it!

Food is fine, lots of options...some western options may not live up to westerners expectations...but why are you eating that anyway? Youre in another country! Embrace the food! :) I really enjoyed sampling a bit of everything

Cocktail prices are resonable if not cheaper than other places (alcohol in malaysia is expensive) had a great time drinking by the pool

This place is great and did I mention its clean!

Stayed: July 2017
2  Thank NorthStar716120
Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

My husband and stayed here for two nights while attending the rainforest music festival.

We are so glad that we found the village house.

-Great and friendly service at point of entry
-owners were very kind and friendly
-Clean great hangout area with pool and hammocks in the courtyard. Perfect for mid afternoon swims before the nighttime performances at the festival
- all meals included
- fully stocked bar which made it convenient to have a drink
- transport provided to and from the cultural village

It was a little hard to find, but not impossible.

Would consider staying here again when we go back to the music festival.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexlc211
Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

I think this is overall a good resort for excursions. Very nice rooms, clean bathroom, beautiful garden with a large clean and well maintained pool. The food is excellent and even if more expensive than outside it is worth the money and portion are big. The resort is far away from everything but you can rent bicycles and go to the Culture Village (20 min) and Damai Beach (5km). Downsides are that the staff is not really creating a warm welcome atmosphere - they try but as often in Malaysia something is missing to come to the Indonesian and Thailand hospitality level. There is not much to do here other than laying on the pool eat and go for excursions. The beach is useless blocked by big stones and I think also dangerous due to some recent crocodile accidents. A good place for excursions but I would not stay more than 2-3 night

Stayed: June 2017