“Nice family hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
yvette.randquist@victoriakliniken.com
“Nice family hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I have always loved this hotel but was a little bit dissaponted at the staff in the Rangali beach bar they were always mixing up our orders and it got very annoying after 10 days !! The Beach front villas are very nice !!! Eating breakfast at Vilu Restaurant in the mornings was just breath taking !! The food was overal very good :-) I recommend this hotel

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Yvette66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

I went for 10 days, myself and two teens. There are no pictures that can do this paradise justice. The prices have gone into the stratosphere, but I was able to get 10 days for a comparable pittance with Hilton points, then everything else doesn't matter. All the restaurants serve excellent cuisine catering to tastes from all over the world. The service is par excellence. We ate at the underwater restaurant for a quite memorable and unique dining experience and in almost all the others. I think our favorite is the Sunset Grill with it's over the water patios. We stayed in an over-the-water bungalow with an infinity jacuzzi on the deck and a glass section of the floor to watch the sea action even inside. Before I had stayed in one of the beach villas and those were great too. Very spacious with a huge tiki hut outdoor bathtub and little zen courtyard in the middle.

We learned to dive and kudos to our very patient instructor, Simon. We didn't leave enough time to go for the full certification, but Simon helped us do 3 separate dives and his enthusiasm for the sport was contagious. Just off the island, the sea life is amazing. I will get certified before next time and hope to see more.

They even allowed me, a non-muslim to worship with the others at the mosque. They were patient with me learning the process and it was very spiritual.

We saw manta rays every single night from the middle of the bridge connecting the islands.

I literally had tears in my eyes when I had to leave. I spend about 75 nights/year in hotels and this is the best I ever had! Hardly any detail is missed.

Room Tip: I think the beach viilas are a bit more spacious and better for families. Also, they are closer to...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank chp37
LindsayMac
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Simply stunning, I am fairly well travelled, been around the Far East, Caribbean, Hawaii etc but nothing compares. Villa's are just stunning, food and drink great although not cheap. Beaches and the whole experience is just a delight. Must return and its not too often I have a desire to repeat an experience.

Room Tip: Water Villa with Jacuzzi
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Conrad Maldives is an absolute dream. It is exactly what you see in the pictures, stunning clear blue waters, so clear you can see fishes swim about. I have so much to say about this resort so let me get started.

1. Arrival at Male airport - we weren't greeted by a Conrad representative but easily found the Conrad counter on our own. An assistant took us to check-in for the seaplane. (Note that they weigh everything you're holding, including your handbag). You then take a shuttle bus to the Conrad lounge. We were only there for 20 minutes before we were told our seaplane was ready so at this stage, did not fully utilise the lounge.

2. The seaplane - depending on your luck, you may get a newer or older plane. The resort does not own the planes, however there is one with their logo printed on it, that is the newer one. However, for our trip to Conrad, we had another seaplane and left around 12pm which meant it was HOT. When we first got on the seaplane, I thought I was going to collapse, I could barely breathe but once we were up in the air, I was fine. The view, like everyone else has said, is beautiful and gets you very excited about what Rangali island is going to look like. We didn't find the plane that loud so didn't use ear plugs.

3. Arrival - you are greeted by a host and taken to the reception where you're seated, served a small glass of fruit juice and then taken to your room. Our host was friendly enough during our stay but we did not need to contact him at all during our stay. Occasionally we ran into him at various spots on the resort. To be honest, I'm not sure that there is a need for a host, we didn't feel ours was that special but maybe some people prefer having one point of contact.

4. Beach villa - before we came to the Maldives, I always thought the best experience would have to be on an over water villa but after this stay, I realise that is not the case. Our beach villa was more than we expected and although we'd like to try an over water villa one day, we're happy enough with the beach villa. It's huge. When you walk in, the coffee and fridge area is to your right. Then immediately on your left is the bathroom, the his and hers sink is indoors but the shower and private spa bath is outdoors. There are french doors which we left open during the day and closed during the night. We were lucky enough to have sunshine every day but not sure that I'll enjoy taking a shower in the rain if it did rain. We never used the spa, preferred swimming in the lagoon. There is then a walk-in wardrobe in which they supply beach bags, life jackets, beach towels and the usual amenities. Then you go into the bedroom where the toilet is also located (separately of course). The bedroom is spacious, there's a huge couch, comfortable enough for someone to sleep on. Then there's a huge glass window/door which opens out to the front yard. It has an outdoor table and chair and two sun tanning chairs. You walk out further (like 10 steps) and it's the beach where again you get another two sun tanning chairs. But apparently, other people can use these chairs too if they want.
LOVED: space, amenities (Molton Brown), direct access to the beach, walk-in-wardrobe
DISLIKED: walk-in-wardrobe separated from the bedroom hence not very convenient, the room is very dark at night, wished they had brighter lighting. The bathroom (where the sinks are) gets very hot during the day so do not leave your creams/lotions near the sink, put them in the walk-in-wardrobe.
NOTE: I am a bug freak and prone to mosquito bites. The design of the beach villa is such that you are pretty much guaranteed to have ants in your room. They do routine pest control but ants will still be in your room. I manage to turn a blind eye to the tiny ants but had to kill the huge ones as well as spray bug spray (which is provided in the room). I only got bitten once. So even as a bug freak, I still really enjoyed the room and would have no hesitations staying there again.

5. The beach - this is what we came for and even if we had to stay in a tent, I would have still given this resort 5 stars based on the beauty of the two islands. The water is so clean, so blue, so very alluring. If you like snorkelling, everyone will tell you to head towards villa 225 and swim out to the pink buoy to catch the best sights. This is pretty true. I'm not a strong swimmer so I didn't swim all the way out to the buoy but I still manage to snorkel close to it. There are lots of colourful fishes to see. However, our favourite part of the resort to swim in was the beach/lagoon in the 'Quiet Zone'. Quite often, we had the entire place to ourselves, despite it being peak season.
LOVED: EVERTYHING!! At the quiet zone, the staff brought out complimentary iced water and fruits. We never used the beach around the pool on the main island but I assume they would do the same thing. The beach is never too busy, if anything, most of the time, it looks deserted! Snorkelling gear is free to hire.
DISLIKED: nothing

6. Restaurants – being fairly price conscious, we only splurged out once during our six nights stay and this was on dinner in the underwater restaurant for my husband’s birthday. It was a great experience but not sure that we would do it again. Then all the other times, we ate at the Quiet Zone, Rangali Bar and Mandhoo Spa. In the Quiet Zone and Rangali Bar, two mains and two juices will cost you between US$60-$100, ours averaged $US70. If you dine at the other restaurants, it will probably be at least double that. We intend to come back again and will definitely try the Sunset grill and Vilu next time.
LOVED: Dining at the quiet zone. Whilst it’s not really known as a venue to eat, it does have a food menu including pasta, pizza, burger, rib-eye, etc. We found the staff at the Quiet zone more natural and chilled-out. Watching the beautiful water wash up along the sand as you eat is very relaxing.
DISLIKED: the food at the quiet zone is prepared on the main the island. The wait for the food never bothered us (30-40 minutes) but it would be great if somehow they could prepare the food on the same side of the island, then it would arrive fresher! My husband loved the pizza and recommends that they install a pizza over there!
NOTE: Some of the mains at Mandhoo are tiny (mainly the seafood dishes) so if you’re hungry, eat elsewhere or don’t order seafood there.

7. Departure – a sad but inevitable thing! Our flight was close to midnight so we really appreciated that they put us on the last seaplane, which left around 5:30pm. Note, Conrad does not arrange your flight time, Trans Maldivian does the schedule. This time we got the Conrad branded plane which even though it doesn’t belong to the hotel, is a newer plane. This time, I did not feel hot and stuffy but that could also be due to the fact it was in the evening when we departed. We arrived Male around 5pm (Male time) so decided to use the Conrad lounge until our flight out of Male. It costs $80++ per person. Is it worth the money? Probably not but there aren’t many other good alternatives. The international airport isn’t the best place to hang out. Having unlimited drinks and dinner provided in the lounge is a much better way to end the holiday. There’s internet too. You also have an option to head into Male via a boat but there was political unrest when we were there so decided not to.

Final note – we absolutely loved our stay, didn’t want to leave and in fact, are already looking at when we can come back again! One of the biggest upsides (mind you, we've never been to any other Maldive resorts) to Conrad Maldives is that it has two islands and several restaurants so it never feels crowded. There is also so much wildlife on the island, we saw a bat or two flying between the islands almost every day. From the main island, looking at the sunset with villas and palm trees as a backdrop from the other island is pretty stunning.

However, there is one thing to note, if you want to have some peace and quiet when you come, Chinese New Year may not be the best time to visit. (Although I have to say, the CNY celebration dinner on the beach looked sensational! We did not participate in the all you can eat BBQ but we did take photos of the venue. And there were fireworks too!!).

Improvement note for Conrad: In general, staff are very sweet and always say hello but they need more confidence when responding to questions. Many seem unsure of their answers.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank kumquattraveller
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I went here for my honeymoon a few years ago, with the wrong person (unfortunately). What I can say is that this particular venue which has been host to some famous celebrities for a good reason.

The beaches and waters are pristine. The bungalows are well appointed and very comfortable. The food and activities were amazing! Each night they had a theme, such as casino night and beach on the movie night (one of my favourites). I met some very interesting people while visiting.

If you are looking for a real getaway to just relax. This is the place. I would definitely go again and this would be the venue of choice.

Room Tip: You don't need anything fancy. The basic rooms serve well and the environment will serve as you...
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FTheProp
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

My husband and I spend 5 day at the Conrad Maldives to recover from one very stressed/depressed/hectic year and get away from everything and everyone. Did this resort to the trick! My husband had so much stress in his back and shoulders and had massages almost everyday, pricey but excellent, I had one every other day and the facilities at the Spa were fantastic. We had a spa treatment at the over water spa which was also lovely, I found it hard to relax as I kept getting excited each time I saw a huge fish swim under me, telling my husband to make sure that he saw it too!

From the moment you arrive at the airport and are taken into their private waiting area before your sea-plane to their island you know that you are in for something special. The sea-plane was great as you can see the waters below and other islands while flying to Rangali Island.

The food was excellent, we ordered at the Rangali Bar once which was lovely, we ate at the Mandhoo Spa Restaurant once which was fantastic. We are not buffet people which is why we ate at the two restaurants mentioned but we ended up eating at the Atol Market as the staff are so friendly from talking to them over our breakfast and they were absolutely lovely there and we loved the food, for breakfast and dinner. For a remote Island the food was excellent for a buffet. The restaurant manager in the Atol Market was amazing, smiling, friendly, attentive to all the guest, he was from Sri Lanka and even checked on his staff and their work continuously.

We did not do any of the snorkeling trips as we knew we wanted to go back there an do it at a later date. This was purely to relax and figure out how we got through this year. We met lots of nice people staying there at the same time and they took some of the trips and enjoyed them especially the Whale Shark watching trip as they saw 3 whale sharks!

Our Room was a Superior Water Bungalow and that was a treat in itself! It had your own IPOD hook-up with Bose surround sound and we just put our music on had the doors open to our deck and listened to our music and used our Jacuzzi almost 5 times a day it was wonderful to have one just to yourself. We spent many afternoons just laying on our deck, swimming from our bungalow and using the jacuzzi with afternoon naps. Evenings too were spent with our music, a bottle of wine and the jacuzzi before dinner. On arrival everyone gets their own snorkel gear which you keep with you and return on departure. This is great as it allows you to just get up and go and snorkel anywhere without having to go and your gear each time you want to go snorkeling.

On arrival into our room we had a plate of fruit which was wonderful. Each day the room was made up and they left us two more fruits which changed day to day. We had to find the person who made our room as we needed something, and found him in another bungalow washing down the entire Jacuzzi and re-filling it after guests checked out and before the new guests checked in. We thought that was the extra steps taken to ensure that everything was clean and tidy. There is water supplied in the room free of charge everyday. Around the resort you have to pay for bottles of water that you have. We took our water with us when we just lay on the beach and did our swimming, snorkeling or swam in the pool.

Walking to and from the main island was really fun for us as the waters in certain sections are so clear that you can see so many things. We saw the manta-rays, octopus and a variety of fish just by standing on the bridge. In the night the lights on the bridge allows you to watch the manta-rays swim up with their mouths open (they are huge) but it is really lovely to watch them glide around.

We walked past the Vilu Bar & Restaurant and the menu and atmosphere looked so inviting but we had already promised the staff at the Atol Market that we would go over for dinner and didn't want to let them down and as I said earlier we were not disappointed the buffet was great.

The sunset bar and grill also looked fabulous although we did not try it but we will next time along with the Vilu Bar & Restaurant!

Just a few tips:
If you want to have the breakfast buffet then go to the Atol Market. If you are not feeling so hungry or want a change of venue the staff said you can go to the Vilu Restaurant or the Mandhoo Restaurant and have breakfast.

I also found out that if you are on full board you can have the credit from your dinner assigned to another restaurant and then whatever you eat over that assigned amount you will just pay for it.

We were just on Bed and Breakfast as we are NOT buffet people but next time we will be on half board. The breakfast has so much that I don't think there will be enough time to get hungry by lunchtime!!!

The waters around the island are brilliant for just snorkeling around - we swam with a sea turtle, saw a sea cucumber, so much underwater life just doing our own snorkeling in water that you can stand in! I have never seen so much underwater life in all my trips to the Maldive Islands - ever! All this was without paying for extra snorkeling trips that are organised by the hotel. So I can imagine what else you will see if you took one of these trips! Our next trip will have to include the Whale Shark watching/snorkeling.

THE ONLY SUGGESTION WE COULD GIVE TO IMPROVE:
Our only improvement would be to have a kitchen with the bar that is on beach on the island with the water bungalows. It is lovely to sit there watching the stars and listening to the water having a drink on the sofa beds, it is quiet and so relaxing but if you wanted to have food or even a snack there you have to wait a very long time as it is cooked on the main island and driven across in a golf cart to this bar! It would be great if they even had a limited menu that could be prepared using their own little kitchen which can be built on the side. Maybe even use the Vilu Restaurant kitchens or even extend the size of the Vilu Restaurant kitchen to allow a few staff members to cook for the Bar on the beach???

We highly recommend this Resort to anyone wanting a great place to relax, have good food and great snorkeling.

We will be back and this time we will bring our whole family too!

Thank you to the staff at the Conrad Rangali Islands you were all absolutely wonderful, we look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Room Tip: Water Bungalows are fantastic if you want to have your own Jacuzzi & Private Sun Deck.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sfandtj
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Truly the most beautiful places on earth must be on the Maldives. So many islands and resorts on 80 of them. The Conrad Maldives Rangali Island was spectacular. I had been to the W Resort a few years ago, and although that was very nice, I felt the Conrad was even nicer. We stayed in the Sunset Villa 350. Very secluded. Just one bungalow next door, but there's a partition between the villas and lots of space in between. All of the other bungalows were a distance away. The place had 2 bedrooms, 2 bath, our own private infinity huge pool, jacuzzi outside on the back deck, and was on the water, so you just needed to climb down the stairs and you would be in the ocean. The only down side would be the cushions on the deck chairs were dated and may need replacing. Other than that, it was spotless. Decent internet connection. My husband was even able to watch the NFL football games online which made him very happy. The Rangali Island impressed me because they constantly sprayed for bugs so they were not a problem the whole time we were there. There were a few crabs on the steps leading to the ocean. They were cute. The house reef was fantastic. These little yellow and grey sharks come out at night but they are the kind that do not bite. Freaky to see them though. The most colorful schools of fish and the most beautiful light blue water, and white sand. Can't be beat. The island also offered a lot of activities if you wanted to partake. Great little gym, ping pong outside, Tennis court you can reserve, water skiing, and other water sports. Lots of snorkeling that is very safe with a life jacket for a non-swimmer. Go to lunch at the underwater restaurant. It's a unique and beautiful experience. Lots of fish out there while you eat. The vegetarian menu was not impressive, but the fish one was good. The breakfast was included and we really loved it sitting outside. There is a bridge between the two islands that you can walk on which is very nice. Having 2 islands to roam on is nicer than with most resorts. The little boutique is very nice too and has a lot of nice swimsuits from Italy that were beautiful. We have now been to both Seychelles and Maldives. Both beautiful, but Maldives is where the calm water is, and Seychelles is where the beautiful but rough waters are. The beaches there are amazing, but hard to swim in a lot of them due to roughness or sharks. The Maldives is shallow waters so very calm and perfect for a non-swimmer. I highly recommend the Maldives and Conrad Rangali Island is excellent!

Room Tip: Sunset Villa Suite 350
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6.2 km away
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!