2,183 results
All reviews moodhu bar deluxe villa technical tour main bar saima garden dive school water villa fish coconut spa our honeymoon dolphin safari other islands sea plane the grill no shoes food in the main restaurant behind the scenes
Reviewed May 9, 2010

My wife and I celebrated our 25th Wedding anniversary on RBR. We travelled with friends who celebrated their 30th Wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed in anyway. This is a beautiful island we had a fabulous time. This would appear to be a true Maldivian island. I do not intend writing a novel -- Please take note of all the positive comments on trip advisor and treat the negative comments with caution. This is a special place. Thank you to Hayes and Jarvis and their island rep; Lou. Without doubt we will return!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ncs999
Reviewed May 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Reethi Beach Resort for our 1st Wedding Anniversary last year. We had an amazing time and there is not one thing I can fault about Reethi. The island was heaven on earth, the food was amazing (especially if you like lobster) the staff were top class (Baba!) and the snorkelling was fantastic. It was so romantic.

For our actual wedding anniversary night my husband organised the meal on the deserted island which was one of the most best things we have ever done. We met at 6pm on the jetty and the staff sailed us over to the island on a doni (boat)....we got onto the island and were met by Baba who served us champagne and there was a one single dressed table and chairs set on the whole of the island. The island was basically a beautiful sanbank in the middle of the sea. We could see the chef cooking our meal. We enjoyed a drink whilst Baba lit the fire when it started to get dark. The food was amazing. To top our night off, just as the sun was setting about 10 dolphins swam past the island, and we were almost sure they were putting a show on for us, jumping in and out of the water. It was fantastic. It cost approx £400 for us both but it was more than worth it and it's something we won't ever forget.

It felt as though we were the only people on the beach some days, not seeing anyone else for hours (apart from the barman when we kept going to the hut for more drinks!!)

If you love to snorkel and just want somewhere to get away from it all then Reethi is the perfect place.

We wanted to explore the Maldives further and recently booked for Meeru Island, but after reading some of the reviews we just don't feel that we can chance it. We have since cancelled and are going back to Reethi. We don't want anything to spoil the memories we have of Reethi and we're worried that other islands just won't come close to Reethi!!

Book it - you'll love it. :-)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank KelandBean
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Reethi Beach Resort made for an unforgettable holiday. Having been to the Maldives before I knew I would get a slice of paradise no matter where we stayed but as accomodation and food are also a main part of the experience I carefully researched before booking!
The island is well set-out and has plenty of natural vegetation and a fabulous house reef. The snorkelling was fantastic (I spent 3 hours each day snorkelling the house reef) and the diving was just the best. The dive school staff were well trained, professional and enthusiastic. I have had some bad experiences before and was considering not diving again - I'm so grateful to the Reethi dive staff - they took us on some wonderful dives and I felt safe and confident with them. Even though we went 'out of season' we still managed to dive with Eagle rays and a Manta :)
As for the accomodation - it was average but cean (getting ready for a face-lift). The food was plentiful and there was a lot of choice- this was great as my partner has several food allergies and normally hates buffet style food.
The evening entertainment was OK and the doctor was fantastic (i had an encounter with a hairy caterpillar). There were no mosquitos and the only noise was from the fruit bats. I wouldn't bother with the speciality restaurants as they are a bit pricey and if you get any ants in your room phone reception and they will come and spray your room with something that is non-toxic. Enjoy!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JBabs81
Reviewed April 24, 2010

We stayed at Reethi Beach from 7th to 17th April for our honeymoon. We got caught up in the volcanic ash problem on the way home so didn't get home until the 24th, having been accommodated at bandos for 6 days. I'll split this brief review into two parts - the resort and then the service from various parties 'helping' us with the volcano problem.

Firstly the resort:

Rooms...We stayed in a Water Villa. The rooms were a higher standard than I'd expected having read the reviews on here. They do look like they were built in the 80s and haven't had much work done since then, but that was more than fine for us. Room boy visited twice a day (vs bandos only once) and left us fruit, nice patterns on the bed etc.

Food.... just OK. I'm a fussy eater but I never went hungry. However by the end I was eating for the sake of it. It's probably best described as good quality motorway service station food. We were given a honeymoon dinner on the beach and it was amazing.

So that's the less than perfect parts over.....

Beach...absolutely incredible. We set ourselves up next to the beach bar for most of the time we were there. 10 yards from the bar, 10 yards from the water, surrounded by immaculate white sand. Unlike bandos (please see my bandos review before making the mistake of staying there), Reethi's beach stretches continuously around the whole island so you can walk all the way around the island with the waves lapping at your feet. Amazing. Sitting on my lounger at the beach bar with a drink in my hand, my new wife by my side and the sun setting in front of me for 10 nights running has been one of the most amazing, relaxing experiences of my life.

Snorkeling....very good. We had never snorkelled before and we thought that the reef was really good. There weren't many bright colours on display on the reef itself, but the fish (inclusing sharks!) more than made up for it. As first timers we thought it was amazing. Tip - take a snorkel with you. They cost £10 on ebay, but $13 a day to hire. The resort will recommend you use fins, but if you're a decent swimmer I don't think it's necessary. I did the 11am guided snorkel, but found it to be nowhere near basic enough. When we got in the water my (resort hired) equipment wasn't water-tight, but rather than helping me out the guide just disappeared off out to sea, leaving me to look after myself and miss the rest of the 'tour'.

Excursions etc....Very good. We paid $121 (always remember the 10% service charge when booking things) for the dolphin safari and it was worth every penny. However the next night we were sitting (again!) at the beach bar and about 20 dolphins swam past, about 30 yards off shore for free! If you go all inclusive you'll be offered 2 x half day excursions for free. However they are only on Fridays and Saturdays and fill up well in advance so unless you're there for 2 weeks, arriving and departing midweek then you might struggle to get on two.

Spa...very good, prices probably comparable to the UK.

Overall, this was an incredible resort. We paid £4,600 to travel by BA from Glasgow via Gatwick to Male, staying 10 night all inclusive in a water villa. We spent an additional $300 on trips, spa and gifts, plus $130 on tips (I think we were tipping quite generously). In my opinion it was worth every last penny and I'll definitely be going back.

The volcano issue:

Hayes and Jarvis - Good guys. We booked directly with hayes and jarvis. The company, and especially the rep lou were very helpful, although they didn't have much more information than was available on websites. I am writing this on Saturday 24th April and there are still Kuoni people stranded out there more than a week after their planned date of return. hayes and jarvis seem to have been more on the ball.

British Airways - Not good guys. They were obliged to pay our accommodation and food while we were stranded. They opted to do this by placing us at the bandos resort. Then they forgot to put on any additional flights to bring us home. Unless they do so there will still be people out there in 4 weeks, slowly trickling back in the few spare seats available. They were un-contactable and nobody at BA has a clue what is going on.

British High Commission (or whatever they are called) - Not good guys. One of their representatives turned up on Thursday and got everyone terrified by spreading untrue rumours about BA ceasing to pay our bills etc. I wish I had got his name to complain, but in my panicking state I didn't take a note of it.

Thomson, esp their rep Zita - Good guys. We managed to scrounge a free seat on a Thomson rescue flight even though we were nothing to do with thomson. It is only thanks to Thomson that I am home now.

In a few words...resort is amazing and you will have the holiday of a lifetime. Guaranteed.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank neilmcd84
Reviewed April 22, 2010

This trip was one which had been in the planning for some time..a chance to take our 4 children (not really children anymore at 23, 21, 19, 18 + 2 partners but never mind) to the Maldives. My wife and I have been to the Maldives on 3 prior occasions (Paradise Island, Sun Island & Athuruga) but this was to be the first trip for the "kids" and we had always said from our first trip to the Maldives that at some point we'd love to get them out there.
Well April 2010 was the point at which we did.

We had booked this thru' Hayes & Jarvis back in August'ish 2009 given that we were a party of 7 at that time we needed to make sure we could get the Water Villa accommodation we wanted them to experience. Hayes & Jarvis made everything so easy and straightforward..and we even added another member to the group as one of our Daughter's in the meantime had acquired a partner who we invited to come with us back in Feb/March 2010.

Anyway, We hung so many expectations on this holiday for allsorts of reasons so it was desperately important that it lived up to all our hopes and dreams..and did it? OH GOD YES...In spadeful's!!

Reethi Beach was a combination of all the best bits of our previous Maldives trips wrapped up in one...and then some..
I can't reccommend the resort highly enough, location, accommodation, food, staff, facilties were all beyond our imagination.

The resort is due to close for some re-furbishment work during May, until i believe August but to be honest we didn't see or experience any kind of detrimental effects of wear and tear either in the main complex areas or in the water villa's. We had read some earlier TA reports of shabby water villa's but we didn't feel they were..and we had 4 of them to cover our group!!

Lou, the Hayes & Jarvis resident services manager deserves a special mention for all her help, friendliness, guidance..and sharing of a good old yarn or two!!..Well Done Lou you were a contributory factor to our wonderful holiday here.
Also our waiter, Anwar deserves our grateful thanks for making our stay so fantastic, ever attentive, hard worker and so pleasant to speak with..we just loved the meal times for seeing him and also the food too.

Speaking of food, there seemed to be an inexhaustable menu of variety each day with enough there to cater for any desires or interests, with a party of 8 you're bound to find at least someone who doesn't like this or that etc..but our group were more than delighted with each sitting we had. Great quality, superbly presented, plenty of variety and well cooked.

Of the island itself, Reethi is surrounded by a number of neighbouring islands which provide a bit of scenery to look out at when you're snorkelling or beachcombing, some of the other resorts we've been to were kind of "stand alone" with nothing close by and this made for a nice change to prior trips.
One element which my wife & I picked up on quite early on was that the marine life on the house reef was more extensive than we've expereienced before, and more to the point, for some reason bigger! I mean we'd seem quite a lot of the fish species previously but at Reethi they were much bigger specimens than previously encountered, and more of them too.
The house reef here is first class for snorkelling, the corals perhaps not being as good as those on the reef at Athuruga, but the fish life more than made up for this..I had a mission before going to Reethi to try and spot a Clown Triggerfish which can be quite rare..and saw a few!!

Anyway, I could go on rambling like this for hours...in the week we were there we did, Snorkelling, Sea Fishing (Twice, and cought loads on the evening trip..some real monsters too!), Dolphin watching (2 or 3 schools), 2 Son's went diving, Deserted Island Beach BBQ, Nemo Gardens Snorkelling trip, 2 Daughters at the spa..etc etc..

If anyone wan't to drop me a line with questions please feel free to do so.

Last Words: Go to Reethi..you'll "enjoy your head off" !!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family