“A very excellent hotel but some things can improve...”
Review of Angsana Velavaru

Angsana Velavaru
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed in this hotel during November and we were there in the jetpool beach villa followed by IOV. There have been many good things written by others on this which we agree are all very true and will not repeat again but maybe let me comment on some things that I would expect more from a hotel of Banyan Tree group.

1) Safes! What is the point of having a safe deposit box when the whole box is not secured to the hotel and can be taken away? The safe in the first room was just put inside the wardrobe (no, I don't mean the screws are loosened or anything but the whole safe was not screwed in at the first place)... I mentioned this to the reception and obviously they were not too surprised and even though they immediately send someone to fix it but they also assured us it will be safe?! even if the safe is lying around like this. (Are they thinking that I have been expecting too much)? The fix was very simple. Just open the safety box and screw back the screws... all the holes were in place inside the wardrobe, not sure why they couldn't finish this off in the first place..

2) Jetpool - The pump/hot water did not work properly, again I mentioned that to the same receptionist and she also sort of mentioned it was a known and common problem. Only after I insisted that the whole point of booking a jetpool villa was to enjoy the jetpool did she ask the engineering dept to check that out and at the end had to have the pump replaced. My point is, if they know it is a known issue why do we have to inform or to complain to them before they take action? This is not what I expect from the Banyan Tree group.

3) Interesting breakfast treats - For all the days we had our breakfasts in the restaurant on the island side, only on the last day we were asked whether we would like tea or coffee... not sure if this was mere coincidences or because we did not give any tipping after our meals previously. Ironically, when we moved to IOV, we gave some tips after our evening meal and on the 2nd day, when we ordered our waffle, it came with fresh cream&extra sauce as an extra but no one else around us had the same treatment.

4) Mystery on the disappearance of my notebook cable wire - I had brought a steel cable wire w/ combo lock to lock my notebook as it wouldn't fit inside the safe. I tied it to the clothes-hanging bar inside the wardrobe in the beach villa. After I have moved into IOV (only a couple of hours after checked out from the beach villa) I realized I forgot to collect back the cable and asked the IOV receptionist to ask the staff in the island to get it back for me. After a while they told me they could not find it despite the fact that I have told them the exact location and I was 100% sure that I did not bring it with me to IOV. As that day was raining heavily and I would not want to waste 2 hours to go back to check it out myself (the ferry schedule is once per hour) I dropped the matter but to now I am still not sure if it was because they could not understand me or whether they could really not find it or whether someone else has taken it. I would not comment anything here (except to blame myself on forgetting to pack it) but usually I would expect forgotten items to stay where it was or being handed back in the reception.

Despite these minor points, overall we are very impressed about the services and the hotel as a whole. The usual services overall are very good and staff are very well trained on what they do. The hotel rooms are nicely decorated though some parts are obviously a bit run down (hinges start to rust in some areas) For the land villas, the "bedroom" is well designed to separate from the basin/wardrobe and the toilet/shower are outside. The food was much better than I expect from Maldives, yes, there is pork and alcohol (especially for tourists). The spa too was top-notched!

A few advice to those who plan to stay here:

1) If you can afford it, stay in both the IOV and beach villa. The IOVs are definitely luxurious, spacious and classy (and not to mention you have a private pool for every villa). You will not regret in staying there despite the price differences. Having said that, even if you can afford the entire stay in IOV, I would also recommend you to stay on the island side as you get to have the beach, and also the chance to shower outdoor under a rainshower. It was quite an experience to shower under the stars!

2) The IOV and the island are not accessible other than by ferries. They are usually once per hour, so plan properly. There are restaurants/bars on both sides. The restaurant over the IOV is usually for fine-dining. There are also SPAs on both sides but the one at the IOV is usually more fully-booked than the island's one.

3) If you want to go to the housereef to snorkel, you have to join their free snorkelling tour. But be warned, you will be tested for your ability to swim/float first before they let you in.

4) Same treatment if you want to use their kayaks.

5) If you don't know how to swim or you can't pass their test, there are still corals and fishes around the island where you can snorkel yourself off the beach or off the IOV (they will lend you free snorkeling equipments+life jacket) Ask the guy at the marine centre where to find the reef.

6) If you stay in the beach villa there will be plenty of giant black ants. Usually you can find them when you visit the toilet or shower outdoor. They are natural inhabitants of the island (I presume they will be on other islands too)... I will say they don't look poisonous as I was bitten once by them, a bit painful but no swollen nor any side-effects. But if they bother you then you can spray insecticides on them (included inside the room). For the period we stayed we did not encounter any mosquitoes (probably it was too windy then)

7) Weather is your worst enemy in Maldives. For the time we stayed (near end Nov) it was almost raining everyday, and when not raining the current/waves in the sea were quite strong that make it hard for you to snorkel. So if you want a "flawless" holiday, then you probably have to go later of the year (maybe from Dec to Apr), but then it would be most expensive.

8) Most hotels work with other tour operators to run a Male tour on the last day if your flight is a late night flight. As the seaplane will probably take you back to the airport at around 4pm, there are a few hours when someone could take you around Male. The tour was free but you are expecting to give them some tips afterwards (Someone told me later you have to buy the tour guide dinner) This way of travel to Male is probably safer than to wander around in Male after dark alone (as I have been told it could not be very safe)

9) If you want to take aerial photos from the seaplane (actually because of the window you won't get good quality anyway), make sure you get the window seat on the LEFT side from Male to Angsana Velavaru and RIGHT side when you are back. The other side has not much to see. I know because I was on this side both ways.

Room Tip: If you are staying on the beach side, the sunset side (ie facing the IOV) is probably better unless...
8  Thank Vince_HK
BTGroup, General Manager at Angsana Velavaru, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2012

Dear Vince_HK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

We are most pleased that you were very impressed with our services and the Resort as a whole. It is a delight to read of your appreciation to our staff members and your comment that they are well trained to do the job.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. It is feedback such as yours that we continuously strive to improve on our services and facilities.

On behalf of the team at Angsana Velavaru, I wish you a very happy New Year and a great 2012.

Best regards
Andrew Langston
Area General Manager

Reviewed 8 December 2011

From the moment we arrived, we knew we were going to have a fantastic holiday. I cannot recommend this resort highly enough. The rooms were extremely clean, the food was superb and the staff were fantastic. One of the things that isn't common for resorts like this, it a kids club. The lady running the kids club (Tini) was attentive and provided a diverse selection of activities for our daughter whilst we managed to make use of the spa (which was out of this world). The snorkeling on the reef was also second to none. They provide daily boat trips to the house reef (free of charge) which was highly recommended. If you didn't feel like going on the boat, you could snorkel in the crystal clear waters looking at the reef close to the shore. The only thing that I can think of as a negative was that when we walked round the island, there was an area of about 20 metres that was a bit untidy. However we weren't staying in the villas that overlooked that area so it didn't bother us in the slightest.

Overall I cannot recommend this island resort highly enough. Take my advice...book, go and enjoy!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank srlawren
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The island is fantastic, but the hotel is 3 stars and not more...
The room are small and the bathroom open outside... The sunbed are ok, but we had to ask 3 times to change the matraze... Which were old and dirty.... Great food and excellent service all around, fantastic thai massage, nice and equipped small fitnessroom

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bellastella76
BTGroup, General Manager at Angsana Velavaru, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Dear bellastella76,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your visit to Angsana Velavaru in May 2011.

It was great to read your positive comments on the services throughout the resort. I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed your Spa treatment and found the food to be great. Many thanks for this. I am pleased to advise that the sun lounge mattress issue you mentioned has already been fixed.

Many of our guests rave about the open bathroom as it is different to what they experience at home, in fact by coincidence the TripAdviser comment posted just before yours does compliment the outdoor shower and other facilities of the villa. We understand that different people have different perspectives and we try everything possible to meet the expectation of all our valued customers.

Once again thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I certainly hope that despite these, you had a pleasant stay at our beautiful resort. I also hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Angsana Velavaru, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly memorable Angsana experience.

Kind regards,

Andrew Langston

Area General Manager

A TripAdvisor Member
Beijing
Reviewed 28 November 2011

All staff in the hotle is very kindness, the best thing is there have Chinese laguage service, so we fell it's easier to communicate.
The water room is a wonderful art of design.Tt stay on the coral reef so you can watch so many fish just at your room.
The most interesting thing is morning fish, you can catch very big fish, it's really out of you imagination.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

This was our first visit to the Maldives. My Wife and I stayed at Angsana from 26 Oct to 3 Nov 11. We travelled with BA direct to Male from LGW and then transferred by Seaplane to the Angsana island resort. One point to be aware of is that the Seaplanes require clear weather to be able to fly and if it happens to be raining at the time of your flight be prepared to wait until it clears up. In our case we waited 3hrs in the airport lounge (managed by Angsana) before we could fly to the resort.

The sea plane flight was fine and reception at the hotel very welcoming. We stayed in a beach villa, no 107, which faced the in-ocean villas and was near the dive centre to the left.

Room - was as described on the website and reviews. Bed was comfortable. Outside shower is a nice touch and was surprisingly powerful. Wi-Fi in the room was handy on rainy afternoons (we had a couple). Complementary bottles of drinking water were supplied every day. Outside, two beach loungers were provided with thick cushions - which were perfect for having a nap, reading a book or watching the sunset.

Food - we were on a half board plan. There was good variety of food for dinner in the kaani restaurant. There was usually a bbq and pasta stand. We did try Azzuro restaurant in the In Ocean Villas for my Wife's bday which was a nice treat - however was expensive even with the 50% discount for HB guests. The seafood restaurant,Funa, is also nice, with local fish offering best value - lobsters were very expensive. Overall, food quality was very good and we both ate very well during our trip.

Bar - the Kuredi bar had a good selection of cocktails and a happy hour at 7pm every day. They also had a pool table and ping pong table that were fun to play in the afternoons.

Spa - I booked the power back treatment which was one of the best massages I have ever had. My Wife had a couple of treatments and was also very happy with the service. We finished the trip at the end with a couples treatment which had several stages spread over two hours - sheer bliss. Like most things in the Maldives, the treatments are on the expensive side, but they really take your relaxation to the next level.

Dive centre - we went on the house reef snorkelling trip a few times which was very enjoyable. They provide the fins, mask, pipe, and life jacket if required. The reef flanks the island about a kilometre away and you get to experience a different area every trip - we saw stingrays and sea turtles and about 50 different types of fish! Tip: visit the dive centre at 8pm to see them feed a family of eight stingrays that come right up to the shore - a truly amazing sight.

Angsana Velavaru is a charming resort that is well suited for a relaxing couples retreat.

Room Tip: Sunset side of the island face the in-ocean villas and have a nicer beach area than the opposite sun...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Raj247
Reviewed 25 November 2011

First, I want to let you know that I have visited Maldives in 06.08.2007 for four days at Four Seasons at Kuda Huraa and I was very happy and beyond what I expected. I read about this resort and every thing I read was true.
I read about Vlavaru especially from tripadvisor.com. I read more than 20 reviews about how great and wonderful are the place and atmosphere but I am disappointed.
The resort has two problems. The first one is every where at private pool, beachfront wooden deck, outdoor shower, Kuredhi bar, and even at Kaani restaurant. It is the insects. I and my wife did not take our breakfast without flying big bugs or big ants crawling high to our knees. Believe me it was very annoying especially if you want to enjoy the breakfast under the clouds and near to sea or if you want to sit near to the private pool. The second one is about the villa. My villa was 146 and any one can see inside that there is some painting and breaking at the wall near the mini bar and some scratches in the wall near outdoor shower. The villa needs major maintenance and more improvement.
The best thing about the resort that the villa is spacious (from sitting deck to the end of the villa is around 200 m2), the hospitaylity of the staff, water sports, and the food at Kaani restaurant.

Room Tip: deluxe beachfront villa
3  Thank bmulhim
A TripAdvisor Member
China Hunan Xiangtan
Reviewed 23 November 2011

very good
The service was very good
A warm reception
Reasonable arrangement
The scenery is very beautiful very good holiday
Thank you for bringing my honeymoon trip
I will introduce my friends

Also consider these accommodations in or near Haa Dhaalu Atoll
Beach Stay Maldives
#1 of 2 in Meedhoo
18.4 km away
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort

Been to Angsana Velavaru? Share your experiences!