1,116 results
All reviewsocean villasmain islandbanyan treepool villafishdeluxe beachfrontsea planeoutdoor showerhalf boardhouse reef snorkellingdive centreour honeymoonour waiterkids clubmarine lifeindian oceanmale airport
Reviewed August 4, 2009

This is probably stated elsewhere but I never ran across it so I'll mention it here: you can't bring alcohol into the Maldives. My two bottles of champagne were confiscated at the airport and I had to pick them up when I left. This was a bad start to the honeymoon but when we saw this beautiful island we were too happy to worry about that anymore.

The water in the Maldives is so amazing, the deep water is a rich blue and the shallow waters are a crystal clear light blue. As you look across the ocean from the island you see these different shades of blue mixed with each other.

The sand on the beach is not as nice as I had hoped. Some of it is perfect, fine and so soft, but the waves bring in a lot of small shells and what not that are not too comfortable to stand on. Walking around the island in open toed sandals will result in having these sharp bits constantly under foot. It's not unbearable, but it's not comfortable either. It's not all that easy to swim in the water either as there are scattered rocks and coral in the shallow water so you should wear feet protection or else walk carefully. It's too bad because the water is so nice.

Fortunately we stayed in the deluxe beachfront pool villa and the pool was great, I swam in it three or four times a day. The pool was one of my favorite parts of the stay there. It's quite large, 1.3 m deep and it overflows constantly so if some insects or something were floating on the water they would soon be washed out and the water slips under the deck and gets filtered and pumped back in. The in-ocean villas also have pools but they don't have the privacy that the beachfront villas do.

The room is very comfortable and roomy. With two sinks and two outdoor showers we don't have to schedule who showers first and bump into each other in front of the mirror. The bed is cozy and the rooms recently got 32" lcd TVs, although I kind of wish they hadn't since the TV was always on whenever we were inside. It's good to have the option but my wife can't help but keep the TV on and I was looking forward to some time away from it.

Our villa (140) wasn't as close to the beach as I had hoped and some big bushes blocked most of the view of the ocean. This is great for privacy since you won't see people walking back and forth in front of your villa, but I couldn't help but look around the island and see some villas with views i would have preferred. Not too many of them were deluxe villas, however.

We went full board and had the buffet three meals a day for our entire six night stay. I really enjoyed the food and ate lots but my wife (who is Chinese) didn't like the food as much. She normally loves fish but didn't enjoy the fish there. I, however, loved having boneless fish as that is uncommon in China. I felt the selection was good and varied. Morning offered freshly made omelets and waffles prepared by a very pleasant man. Lunch and dinner had BBQ steak, fish, chicken and corn on the cob as well as freshly made pasta. Of course there are also lots of salads, curry, vegetables and other buffet selections. My only gripe is that at breakfast you could have water, milk, coffee or fruit juices but at the other meals you had to order it separately and pay extra for it.

Price of drinks were $7 for water or a bottle of Corona or Heineken, $8.5 for a fruit juice (better quality then that served in the morning), $10 for a milkshake or pint of beer and $12 or $14 for cocktails. The buffet itself costs $60 per person for lunch at least, not sure about dinner (since we left late on the last day and lunch wasn't included). There is also a set menu with prices around $20 per meal. Not a huge selection on that set menu however.

The staff were very friendly, not just at the restaurant but all over the island. They always smiled and greeted us. Even when they were busy doing manual labor they would stop to smile and greet us. Almost everyone seemed to be genuinely happy. The two woman at the front desk who helped us were both beautiful and very helpful and always had big smiles on their faces.

If you are on your honeymoon go to the spa the first day. Unfortunately, the front desk staff was not aware that honeymooners are offered a free head and shoulders massage and a 20% discount on selected massages. We didn't find out until almost the end as we had decided to get a massage on the last day. That day we also got the free massage, but it would have been nice to spread them out and after getting that free massage we probably would have gotten a few more because they do an amazing job. Not just the massage itself, which was the best I've had, but also the atmosphere of the room. Plan at least one massage (we had the duet which was $130 each for two and a half hours of bliss).

Despite my wife not enjoying the food so much and suffering from an upset stomach (not caused by the food but lessening her enjoyment of it) we both felt the time went too quickly and were very sad to leave. I may have mentioned some complaints in this review but it was just to give a full picture but overall they were very minor and paled in comparison to the beauty and pleasure provided at this resort.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AlienOverlord
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Me and my wife stayed at a beachfront pool villa for (7) nights. This type of villa has its own plunge pool, there is not a main pool.Very nice island, white,sandy beaches,clear,blue waters. It is not deep enough, so you cannot swim, but you can go snorkeling around the island, or, at a nearby reef(with a hotel's ''dhoni'', free of charge). There is no TV in the rooms(thus there is a big screen at the bar),perfect! There is a mini hifi, so bring your own cds. The whole atmosphere is calm, peaceful, romantic, so if you love sea, sun, and need to charge your body and mind batteries this resort, on this island, is an excellent choice(and value for money as well).

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gchatziar
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We spent an amazing 10 days on this beautiful island. We stayed in the large Angsana villa which was actually the size of about 4 villas with a private pool and Jacuzzi. The quality of the rooms were fantastic (2 beds, 1 lounge, 1 dining room) - top quality and opening out straight onto a huge beach area.

The food was great and we are quite fussy (lots of choices, great quality) and service excellent. There was not that much children's food but that was not problem as the chef was kind enough to prepare this at no extra charge to the full board option. Mohammed our waiter for our entire stay was great and even made origami animals for the children. The Executive chef,area manager and hotel staff all went out of their way to ensure our visit was special. If anything needed doing inour villa (e.g. light bulb, ice delivery) it was done extremely fast. THANK YOU!!!

We loved the night fishing trips, diving (brilliant instructor - Tiny) and house reef snorkelling is free and available 6 days a week weather permitting.

The hotel staff were fantastic, always remembered us by name and our preferences for drinks without us even asking etc. We went full board which is highly recommended as extras are expensive ($6 for a small soft drink)

Kids club looked good but we had so much fun we never actually needed to use it.

We'd LOVE to return. It was even better than Kanuhura where we stayed last year.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank RUTHANDPAULLondon
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Angsana Velavaru has recently added approx 30 in-ocean villas. These are linked by a causeway and the facilities include an outstanding restaurant (Azzurro) and a spa. They are not linked to the main island, but this is no problem as 24/7 on demand boat service will take you back and forth.

The advantage of staying in one of the new villas is that they are superbly designed. My villa had three rooms roughly equivalent in size, a living room, bedroom and bathroom. There was also a staircase to a canopied open-air loft. In-room amenities are all up to the highest international standards.

Outside, the villa had a lounge area with two chaises, an outstanding pool, large enough to take a couple of strokes, much superior to the normal all-but-useless wading pool characteristic now of so many villa designs.

The villas are quite close to each other so there is a risk of noise pollution and it's possible to see from one swimming pool to the next one over. Management assured me that they would be clustering different types of guests in different areas of the complex (eg familes with young children at one end).

The Azzurro restauarant is superbly designed and the Italian chef will make you a delicious pizza off-menu if you ask. The menus are mercifully brief but with just enough options. Given the logistics challenges of getting good, fresh ingredients, the restaurant's consistency high quality was impressive.

In addition, guest have access to the restaurants on Velavaru main island but frankly Azzurro beats them all.

Also on the main property is the dive shop (Ali is one of the top divemasters in the Maldives) and the main spa (use this one for spa treatments, not the makeshift spa in one of the in ocean villas). Service right up to normal Banyan Tree standards.

One of the best Anganas yet!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
9  Thank spencerusa
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Angsana Velavaru has been a very quiet and relaxing resort. They have been so kind and thoughtful of upgrading us to the pool villa for our honeymoon and they have given us free coupons for their spa which was the best I have ever tried. The tamarind juice given to you just picks you up in the midst of a summer breeze.

The food there is very bad and very overcharged since the maldives imports almost everything. It is only an island with no animals so do not expect very good meat and exquisite dishes. However,the view of the islands is breathtaking and the 5 shades of blue on the ocean just says it all!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank omaiaa0p
BanyanTreeGroup, General Manager at Angsana Velavaru, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2009

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Angsana Maldives Velavaru.

Through TripAdvisor, we have read with great concern your feedback on the quality of food in our resort.

In our commitment to providing all our guests with the best possible holiday, we would like to thank you in conveying your comments regarding the areas where we can improve.

I note with concern that you were not satisfied with the price and variety of food in our restaurants. Our Executive Chef is in the process of reviewing the various menus and will definitely take your feedback into account.

We are pleased to read of your gracious comments on our service levels and especially of our Angsana Spa. I will pass on your comments to our Spa team so they know that the services provided were indeed appreciated.

Valued guest, your comments are very welcome and it further allows us to monitor, maintain and improve on the Angsana services & facilities.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back to Angsana Velavaru, or to any of our other resorts in the Maldives.

Yours Sincerely,