“Very professional, safe and friendly diving”

Sea-Urchin Diving Center
Reviewed June 28, 2017 via mobile

We have dived with sea-urchin in Mauritius after a year break. We were a little nervous at first, But they were so friendly and kind from the beginning to end. The owner is also welcoming, and outgoing..
At first we did a refreshment with our dive guide and she was encouraging and very supportive. Explained everything clearly.. after that me and my wife felt safe and confident before we go safari diving. The dive went very well and enjoyed a lot. They are professional, friendly and also very polite people. We are completely satisfied with the service they provided. I recommend everyone to dive with sea-urchin who is staying west of island.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"kit"
"sites"

Reviewed June 17, 2017 via mobile

Sea-Urchin is a good dive center. The gear is pretty well maintained, the boat is well maintained and all dive spots are near.

You get geared up at the shop and walk in your wetsuit, carrying your bag with your other gear, to the nearby beach. About a five minute walk, tanks are brought there by car.

We had two dives with Eduardo and one with Lucille as our dive masters, and they are *the best*! Very friendly, interested, very thorough briefing and making sure everything is in order. The people you would want at every dive center. :-)

Some others left reviews about Katharina, the owner. Yes she's snappy, and she runs a tight ship. However she also makes sure everything goes as it should. She just shouldn't scold and belittle her staff in front of the customers. Although they appear to be used to it and wisely just let it go. :-)

1  Thank JZuiver
Reviewed February 13, 2017

I was very excited about my very first scuba diving experience and based on reviews and proximity to hotel my wife and I selected Sea Urchin Diving center. I was deeply disappointed by the quality of service.

1. The staff was rude to begin with and did not start on time
2. I can deal with #1, sure - there are rude folks everywhere. What I had the biggest problem with was the training. They took us to the shallow end of the sea and trained us for about 10-15 minutes. Thats it! Most other places have at least 30 - 45 minutes of training, including taking you to a flat water lagoon where you can get used to the breathing exercises.

Due to the lack of training I was not able to reach the surface. (I would like to add that i am a proficient swimmer) Also note that most places refund's your whole (or at least part of) the payment if you fail to complete your dive. This place does not!!

I would not recommend this place to anyone who is trying scuba for the first time.

3  Thank mohammed d
Reviewed December 28, 2016

My son (12) and myself did our PADI Open Water Certification here.

The dive centre is cozy, welcoming and mellow while still maintaining high levels of discipline, professionalism and most importantly safety standards.

Obviously as a parent, my only concern was the safety of my son. After four full dives (open ocean not pool) with Sea Urchin I would happily let my son dive here without me.

There were other kids (around 12-14 years old) diving in our groups with lots of attention to safety and protocols , but equally important it was always fun!

The skills and knowledge training are very "learner-centred" in that they deal with each individual's specific needs as when they arrive (rather than following a prescribed "out of the book" course).

Instructor's are always on hand at the centre to offer advice, explain theory or answer any questions about diving or the local marine wildlife.

The team is great;

Katharina : the boss ... does well what a boss should do. Keeps it safe.

Perrine was our main instructor for our open water skill exercises and she took a very hands-on approach - "get in the water and do it" which suited us perfectly. We had great rapport with our "teacher" throughout the whole course = makes learning easy.

Lydia, Eduardo, Linda; always around with a smile and encouragement.

Final note:
On day one, our first dive, one of our group had problems due to ears and pressure on an attempted 12 metre descent. They took him back to the boat and he did not dive. On day two, this diver asked to cancel his course because he was "worried about his ears". Staff from the centre spent time (a lot of time) explaining the physics and the physiology of what he was experiencing and how to manage pressure underwater. He came back did dives, saw a turtle on his first dive (rare) .....the saw a turtle on his second dive (double rare).

Sea Urchin have made this a truly fantastic holiday.